XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

X6 M steering wheel on 2011 X6 50i

I am pretty sure I can swap my 2011 X6 steering wheel with the X6 M version, yes? My dealer just installed the new alcantara performance wheel and I don't like it. Question for someone. the X6 M wheel has different buttons layout, ie: M button vs. disc changing button. and on my wheel there is a air circulation button. also the paddels on the M have + - mine does not. do the M paddle once installed change the shifting operation. am I describing this correctly. On my car the paddles do up/down shift the same, the M must do this diff. but if installed with the new wheel will that change the shifting on my Non m?
confusing?
SCott
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Haven't got an answer for you, sorry, but do let me know when you are sorted out and may wish to sell the performance wheel as I might well be interested :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
The X6M steering wheels have a slight different cut-out for the paddles. When I installed my Alcantara wheel, the paddles from my X6M were a little smaller but they still fit on there fine. I don't know if it would fit the other away around though. As long as you can mount the paddles on, they should work the way they are because they have their own wiring. Here's a pic of my X6M wheel - note the size of the paddle shifter mounting holes. Hope this helps!

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I think the wheel could fit, but how to get it? My dealer told me that I cannot order it without the vehicle number (have no clue how to call it in English). Found one on ebay, but would loose the heating function (as it did not have one). Can someone please let me know how to order it (or PM me their vehicle number and make me one happy bastard). Or the part number, whatever.... Dealer told me without the vehicle number he cannot find it in the system...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
izzy34
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E39 530dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
I am pretty sure I can swap my 2011 X6 steering wheel with the X6 M version, yes? My dealer just installed the new alcantara performance wheel and I don't like it. Question for someone. the X6 M wheel has different buttons layout, ie: M button vs. disc changing button. and on my wheel there is a air circulation button. also the paddels on the M have + - mine does not. do the M paddle once installed change the shifting operation. am I describing this correctly. On my car the paddles do up/down shift the same, the M must do this diff. but if installed with the new wheel will that change the shifting on my Non m?
confusing?
SCott
You can swap your original multifunction buttons to the M steering wheel, that is an easy job to do, know by experience, comparing the SSG paddles which are standard on your car ( each paddle has the option to up/down shifting) with the DCT paddles ( shift down by left one & shift up by right one), no extra job needs to be done when swapping, again known by experience...
On the other hand, SSG paddles do NOT fit to M steering wheel and ONLY DCT paddles can be used with M steering wheel...
As a conclusion, if you want to use the M steering wheel with the multifunction buttons you have right now, do the following
* Take out the original steering wheel
** Swap the original multifunction buttons to the M steering wheel
*** Install the M steering wheel with DCT paddles
and you are ready to go...
No programming or anything, a simple job that can be done in 20 minutes to whom knows what he is doing...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy34 View Post
You can swap your original multifunction buttons to the M steering wheel, that is an easy job to do, know by experience, comparing the SSG paddles which are standard on your car ( each paddle has the option to up/down shifting) with the DCT paddles ( shift down by left one & shift up by right one), no extra job needs to be done when swapping, again known by experience...
On the other hand, SSG paddles do NOT fit to M steering wheel and ONLY DCT paddles can be used with M steering wheel...
As a conclusion, if you want to use the M steering wheel with the multifunction buttons you have right now, do the following
* Take out the original steering wheel
** Swap the original multifunction buttons to the M steering wheel
*** Install the M steering wheel with DCT paddles
and you are ready to go...
No programming or anything, a simple job that can be done in 20 minutes to whom knows what he is doing...
I asked my dealer whether they would install an x6mwheel, said NO, bcs of the "control unit" in the steering wheel being not the same as the one on a plain x6. He said that the M wheel has different functions, which of course I know (I would not like to keep them). Also that some software update needs to be done, etc. Izzy34 or someone who knows how this is done pls help, I would really like to get the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
izzy34
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep

Same thing was told to "scottjays", but now he uses a X6M steering wheel :-)
He can confirm if he sees this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian View Post
I asked my dealer whether they would install an x6mwheel, said NO, bcs of the "control unit" in the steering wheel being not the same as the one on a plain x6. He said that the M wheel has different functions, which of course I know (I would not like to keep them). Also that some software update needs to be done, etc. Izzy34 or someone who knows how this is done pls help, I would really like to get the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Same thing was told to "scottjays", but now he uses a X6M steering wheel :-)
He can confirm if he sees this post...
Thanks! I already PM'd him earlier
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
izzy34
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep

Please ask about his experience with me, i am sure he will write something for the public as well :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian View Post
Thanks! I already PM'd him earlier
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep

Quote:
Please ask about his experience with me, i am sure he will write something for the public as well :-)
Izzy is the man!! he is super knowledgeable and will set you up.
You can't go wrong with his advice.
SCott
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks a lot guys. Am waiting what the dealer will say. I can't risk guarantee threats and similar, but will work smthg out in the end for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep

"can't risk guarantee threats and similar"

what does that mean??
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
izzy34
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep

What i understand from that is, if you change the steering wheel with a M one, your guarantee will be void kind a threats....which is just funny...What kind of problem will a steering wheel give to a car? People are changing rims to 22, even 23 on these cars...
I would do this...Install the M wheel, if something occurs in the car that will be handled under warranty, take off the M wheel, install the regular and go to dealer like that...They all like that all around the world...It is a matter of how "close" relationship does the owner of the car has with the dealer...Thats it...Just my 0.02 :-)

Quote:
"can't risk guarantee threats and similar"

what does that mean??
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #14
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What i understand from that is, if you change the steering wheel with a M one, your guarantee will be void kind a threats....which is just funny...What kind of problem will a steering wheel give to a car? People are changing rims to 22, even 23 on these cars...
I would do this...Install the M wheel, if something occurs in the car that will be handled under warranty, take off the M wheel, install the regular and go to dealer like that...They all like that all around the world...It is a matter of how "close" relationship does the owner of the car has with the dealer...Thats it...Just my 0.02 :-)
This is exactly what it means,waiting to hear from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB

I have a 2012 X6 w/ Sport Pkg, no LDW, no HUD, my existing wheel has paddles on it, can I swap out for the M wheel w/ the M paddles on it and have everything work correctly? Does anyone know?

Also, some brief how-to instructions on removing the airbag & steering wheel is anyone can help.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep

Yes I have done the same thing you asked about. Swapped my2011 X6 sport wheel with paddles to the M wheel with working M paddles. All buttons were carried over from the sport wheel and work. Install is very straightforward and was done quickly at BMW dealer
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_FL View Post
I have a 2012 X6 w/ Sport Pkg, no LDW, no HUD, my existing wheel has paddles on it, can I swap out for the M wheel w/ the M paddles on it and have everything work correctly? Does anyone know?

Also, some brief how-to instructions on removing the airbag & steering wheel is anyone can help.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have done the same thing you asked about. Swapped my2011 X6 sport wheel with paddles to the M wheel with working M paddles. All buttons were carried over from the sport wheel and work. Install is very straightforward and was done quickly at BMW dealer
Good luck
Thanks for the info!

Above says it's a 20 min job, I've searched all over, can't seem to find instructions anywhere on doing it, I don't wanna hear the BS from my dealer, would prefer to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
There's a DIY on e90post. It's exactly the same way for the E70/E71 to remove the steering wheel.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the link... You have a PM
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Did this today, everything went well, all done as instructed, however, I cannot for the life of me get the paddles to work, they are not shifting up or down. I've taken it all apart twice now making sure everything is properly plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

I have a /M heated steering wheel, paddles and /M cover for sale...

n/t
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Put my old wheel back on, paddles aren't working on it either... anyone have any ideas? I disconnected the battery completely, I did it all as instructed. When I start it up after hooking the battery up, each time, I got errors pop up (servotronic error) the 4x4 light comes on, DSB? Error I believe, it all goes away once you drive a good 50', but the paddles do not work.
Appreciate 0