XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Usmcorpse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 E70

Front driver side suspension?

2012 BMW X5 E70

Need assistance diagnosing the issue I'm currently having. Every bump, crack, expansion joint, and hole I hit on city streets at from 20-35 mph it feels like it hits it hard. Sometimes a single pop and others a double pop. Steering wheel does not vibrate, vehicle does not get squirrelly, or anything that would point to a strut going bad, handling is fine. It's just a jarring ride when that wheel encounters the aforementioned obstacles in the road. Where do I start to look, what could be the issue, is it a DIY or not. Specialty tools? Part costs? I don't have a cool 1-2k lying around to pay bmw but if parts and down time and specialty tools are going to be $$$ might as well start saving to ship it to repair shop
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I would start to look at the bushings for the control arms, namely the thrust arm. That one takes the bulk of the shock and typically goes bad first. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to replace them. Even struts aren't bad to replace if you have the time. Control arms aren't expensive if you buy from FCP Euro and get the Lemforder ones. They make them for BMW anyways.
Appreciate 0