XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
igell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5m

Bumper parking sensor missing

So just recently noticed that my bumper sensor on front left side of the bumper is missing on 2011 x5m

I dont have any errors on the dash, but it does act weird when i am backing up.. so believe it just somehow got pushed in.

What is the simplest way to get to it? removing the wheel well cover?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

If you get in from the side of the bumper, you should be able to find it and pop it back in place. I think it was user "Argento" had some pretty detailed pics on bumper removal, should be able to just do one side.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Here were my thoughts on the subject, FWIW...

From my build thread, post #109..

======
First remove these 8mm bolted bumper connections: 6 underneath, 1 each side behind reflector, 1 each side at wheelwell bottom). Leave the 6-8 bolts on top (just behind kidney grills)...for now.

At the wheelwell bolt, the bumper tab overlaps the wheelwell cover and insert. Uncouple the bumper tab from the wheelwell cover at that area.

You should now have enough play in the lower bumper to push the lower edge forward and get your arm to reach in and pop the PDC back in. DO NOT pull the bumper forward too hard or you'll break the tabs between the bumper and fender interface. These tabs are definitely not fragile, but different people have different ideas of force (leaving the top bolts should mitigate you breaking clips)

If you still need more room, you may try to remove the 6-8 bumper bolts on top (just behind kidney grills at the black trim)...but watch the tabs/clips.

Note, you're also only clips away from having the whole thing off. CAUTION, if you plan to remove the bumper and remove connectors definitely disconnect the negative battery cable so you don't get errors for the side camera that require coding to remove.

=====

I have some pix of behind the bumper trim if needed...
      08-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
igell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Here were my thoughts on the subject, FWIW...

From my build thread, post #109..

======
First remove these 8mm bolted bumper connections: 6 underneath, 1 each side behind reflector, 1 each side at wheelwell bottom). Leave the 6-8 bolts on top (just behind kidney grills)...for now.

At the wheelwell bolt, the bumper tab overlaps the wheelwell cover and insert. Uncouple the bumper tab from the wheelwell cover at that area.

You should now have enough play in the lower bumper to push the lower edge forward and get your arm to reach in and pop the PDC back in. DO NOT pull the bumper forward too hard or you'll break the tabs between the bumper and fender interface. These tabs are definitely not fragile, but different people have different ideas of force (leaving the top bolts should mitigate you breaking clips)

If you still need more room, you may try to remove the 6-8 bumper bolts on top (just behind kidney grills at the black trim)...but watch the tabs/clips.

Note, you're also only clips away from having the whole thing off. CAUTION, if you plan to remove the bumper and remove connectors definitely disconnect the negative battery cable so you don't get errors for the side camera that require coding to remove.

=====

I have some pix of behind the bumper trim if needed...
Thanks!! Thats exactly what i did. Removed all the 8mm bolt on the left side, underneath the bumper, wheel well and behind the reflector. That gave me enough room to pop the sensor back in.
Appreciate 1
argento538.00