XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

Who has had an E70 with a sunroof problem?

I am at a bit of a loss with my sunroof situation and looking to consolidate all of our experiences for a definitive way on how to diagnose and how to fix these that are not resolved with a BMW sunroof reset

I’ve tried the reset with the car on and off, for 15 seconds and all the way up to 2 minutes. I get a click from the switch when I start and a click from the switch at 15 seconds. The motor doesn't start, nothing happens.

The sunroof is closed/sunshade is closed. Tilt/Sunroof Anti Trap warning light is on.

All 3 fuses for the sunroof are good (1 under glove box, 2 in trunk).

I took the motor out while keeping it plugged in and tried the reset procedure thinking the 2 spiral coils are stuck/binding, the motor didn’t start/no reset procedure. I replaced the motor thinking it was the motor, still nothing with new used motor.

I tried to manually open the sunroof, two findings here:

1. Power plugged to motor, car on, it’s very difficult to turn the allen key to move the sunroof manually.
2. Power unplugged, it’s much easier to turn the allen key however doing the turning manually doesn’t actually open the sunroof as it’s skipping teeth. Meaning I have to apply pressure on the alley key and do it an angle to get it to bite. I was able to open the sunroof back about an inch with many many turns, but again I don’t have a solid connection between the little gear and the 2 spiral shafts.
a. I also tried manually “venting” the sunroof, it rose up, but the passenger side went up while the driver’s side stayed closed. After more screwing around I closed it back flush and have left it.

It seems I maybe have 2 issues, gear not catching on the spiral tracks, but I also can’t get the motor to work, could it possibly be the switch?

I am out of ideas.

Last edited by Letsgo; 08-18-2020 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:22 AM   #2
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Mine guides were replaced 3-4 years ago as there was issue with them on all E70.
Didn't had issues,they found problem while servicing, inspecting the car.
They had car for 2 days, as headliner had to come down to replace the guides. Mine is 2013.
      08-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
ncmoore12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
I had a fuse fail on mine, had to go replace the fuse and it worked like that. Originally tried the sunroof reset though.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

I am getting closer to resolving the problem I think, here are a few of my findings and theories on what happened.

My previous motor was burnt out, when I removed it and put an allen key to manually turn it, it was making clicking noises and would barely turn. The new used motor I bought turned freely with little tension from the electrical motor.

The sunroof motor switch that powers the sunroof motor and sunshade motor is also faulty. I used my volt meter and checked power coming out of the switch to both motors, there is constant power, but turning the switch for either motor did nothing.

I took that apart, everything looked ok visually, but I ordered a new used switch/dome light assembly which should arrive late next week.

Lastly I was barely able to manually open the sunroof and part of me thinks the sunroof assembly was never maintained/cleaned/lubricated. I had a very hard time pulling it back, added some lube temporarily and it started sliding back and forth much much easier and that's without a cleaning. Next step will be to open it up back up again manually, clean and grease the track and manually run it back and forth a few times. Between that and the new switch I hope it gets resolved.

I have a feeling the motor got burned out from the tracks not being lubricated and eventually the switch went.
Appreciate 0