XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-06-2024, 11:38 AM   #1
Trainpilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 X5 diesel, 04 Jeep LJ

DPF delete without tune?

I am hoping for some insight and advice from my fellow X5 diesel enthusiasts. Is it possible to delete the dpf with a delete pipe and fool the computer somehow into thinking a new dpf was installed. Can I spoof the differential backpressure sensor somehow? I'd like to avoid a costly, inconvenient tune for the time being. 200k miles on '09. DPF was clogged according to message and car was limped into garage. Delete pipe on the way. My hands are still sore from the removal and I can't bear the thought of trying to install a new or cleaned dpf. I'm better with nuts and bolts than bits and bytes. TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:57 PM   #2
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 & E92

You can't make physical changes to how the engine works without letting the engine management system know.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
What Dialedin said. You can reach out to one of the tuners and let them know that this is for offroad purposes only. They can probably help you out, but at this point the hard part is already out of the way and might as well go for it... Except that you're in California.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2024, 02:28 PM   #4
Trainpilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 X5 diesel, 04 Jeep LJ

I figure I'm not really changing the way the engine operates, just reducing exhaust backpressure through the DPF section of the system. The delete pipe has a connection for tubing which could be hooked up to the higher pressure (upstream) side of the differential exhaust pressure sensor. This is, in my understanding, what tells the engine management system that the DPF needs regeneration or is clogged. The other sensors will go back in. I'll try just leaving the lower pressure connection to the differential sensor open to atmosphere. Low pressure EGR will obviously cease to function. I'm hoping that, by itself, will not cause limp mode. I guess it all just depends on how sophisticated the management system really is, as to whether or not the computer will recognize the difference between a "phantom DPF" that always has optimal pressure differential, or one that cycles through regenerations normally. I feel like I know just enough to be dangerous here, but I am curious as to what will occur. And yes, being in California does make things more difficult. I am lucky to live in a county that doesn't have biennial emissions testing. Hopefully the air quality police are not monitoring my posts.
Appreciate 0