XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Comfort access - how does it know who is driving if wife is in car?

Hi! I got a simple question. I understand that the comfort access option will open the car automatically when you are 1.5meters near the car. Then it will set your options in the car like seat position etc based on your memory settings in your key.

But what if your wife also has a comfort access key and she gets into the car next to you?

1. How does the car know what seat position to adjust to before u enter the car?
2. how does the car know who is driving? you or your wife.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

Ronald,

I had comfort access on my M3.
It sets the seat Radio Aircon etc based on the key in close proximity of the drivers door.
You need to touch the door handle to unlock the car.
It relies on you and you wife having separate keys.
I used the BMW supplied colour coded labels to identify different keys.
This was for the M3 not sure how it will work in the X6 although I would imagine that it will be very similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzzy View Post
Ronald,

I had comfort access on my M3.
It sets the seat Radio Aircon etc based on the key in close proximity of the drivers door.
You need to touch the door handle to unlock the car.
It relies on you and you wife having separate keys.
I used the BMW supplied colour coded labels to identify different keys.
This was for the M3 not sure how it will work in the X6 although I would imagine that it will be very similar.
Dunzzy,

Thanks for the info. That means that even though you are sitting right next to your wife in the car, it can still tell which key is nearer to the drivers door even though the other key is just 2 feet away? That quite a precise system!

So if the key is in your pocket and you are driving. And you throw the key onto the backseat. what happens?

And even worse, you throw the key out of the window! How would the car react while you are driving at 100 on the highway?!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
Dunzzy,

Thanks for the info. That means that even though you are sitting right next to your wife in the car, it can still tell which key is nearer to the drivers door even though the other key is just 2 feet away? That quite a precise system!

So if the key is in your pocket and you are driving. And you throw the key onto the backseat. what happens?

And even worse, you throw the key out of the window! How would the car react while you are driving at 100 on the highway?!

I believe it reads the key as you approach the drivers door, then sets everything according to what it read after that doesn't read anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Memory is within the key fob, as long as you and your wife are using separte keys fobs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
Memory is within the key fob, as long as you and your wife are using separte keys fobs.
i am aware of that. but how does the car know who is sitting in the driver's seat when the 2 seats are only 1.5 feet apart!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

Hi Ronald,

have never had both keys in the car at the same time, which ever key is used to open & start the car will determine the memorised settings. The car will remain running without the key in the vehicle, the warning sign appears when you exit the car with key in pocket, it just won't restart if you hit the stop start button.
      04-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
i am aware of that. but how does the car know who is sitting in the driver's seat when the 2 seats are only 1.5 feet apart!
It's a very weak signal.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
CoachmanX6
CoachmanX6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35D

Quote:
Hi Ronald

With comfort access the seats, external mirrors etc, are set to who opens the drivers door ie by zapper or by touching the drivers door handle, If my wife opens the passenger door first by the door handle the drivers seat etc do not change from the last setting. I hope this helps as we both carry our keys on us most of the time we are out.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

CoachmanX6, thanks for the explanation. But i have a qs. When your wife opens the passenger door, how does the car know its your wife? Because of the closer proximity of her key to the passenger door?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
CoachmanX6
CoachmanX6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35D

Quote:
CoachmanX6, thanks for the explanation. But i have a qs. When your wife opens the passenger door, how does the car know its your wife? Because of the closer proximity of her key to the passenger door?
Hi Ronald

I beleve that the antenna in the doors works on the proximity of the key, If you stand appx 1mtr from the door the door cannot be opened by another person, therefore my wifes key is not sensed by the drivers door antenna.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

ok. that sounds logical.
Appreciate 0