XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
PrototypeX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M, C7 A6, B8 S4

X5M Coolant flow diagram?

Would like to know the flow path that the engine/intercooler coolant circuits take if anyone has a diagram of this? cannot find anything anywhere. TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrototypeX5M View Post
Would like to know the flow path that the engine/intercooler coolant circuits take if anyone has a diagram of this? cannot find anything anywhere. TIA
The cooling circuits for the n63/s63 engines is a complicated thing. There are two separate circuits involving 5 water pumps and 7 heat exchangers along with enough tubing/hoses to circle the Earth TWICE (ok I lied about that last one, its only enough to circle the Earth once)

Best go to realoem.com and look up your vin, then go to engine and cooling sections and you can see a complete breakdown of every radiator, coolant line and water pump.

EDIT: Did some poking around, do a Google search for n63engine.pdf. Download it and scroll down to cooling diagram. S63 engine is identical except for additional heat exchanger and water pump for intercooler circuit.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-02-2021 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
PrototypeX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M, C7 A6, B8 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
The cooling circuits for the n63/s63 engines is a complicated thing. There are two separate circuits involving 5 water pumps and 7 heat exchangers along with enough tubing/hoses to circle the Earth TWICE (ok I lied about that last one, its only enough to circle the Earth once)

Best go to realoem.com and look up your vin, then go to engine and cooling sections and you can see a complete breakdown of every radiator, coolant line and water pump.

EDIT: Did some poking around, do a Google search for n63engine.pdf. Download it and scroll down to cooling diagram. S63 engine is identical except for additional heat exchanger and water pump for intercooler circuit.
Yea I know the amount of hose and realoem, I'm just looking for a flow diagram, and I'd like to know which way it's flowing thru the intercooler circuit. Also, are the pumps pwm controlled? Thanks for the lead tho!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Yea I know the amount of hose and realoem, I'm just looking for a flow diagram, and I'd like to know which way it's flowing thru the intercooler circuit. Also, are the pumps pwm controlled? Thanks for the lead tho!
I Believe the intercooler pumps and auxiliary radiator pump are pwm, the turbocharger pump is not from what I know.

Attached is the pdf on the n63, nearly everything applies to the S63, it just has an additional pump and heat exchanger for the intercoolers.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 07_N63 Engine.pdf (1.94 MB, 416 views)
Appreciate 0