XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M

Pulled Trigger on 2011 X6M,

Hey all.

I just placed deposit on 2011 X6M CPO'd White on Sahkir orange ~35000kms....Short of something major the deal is done pending test drive.

I will post pictures once its in my Hands! Needless to say I am super excited my Porsche RUF Turbo may not see alotta action this year haha.

So I am going to purchase extended warranty over and above the certified warranty that lasts till 2017..I have been given options like BMW ext warranty or after market ie SAL? Not sure but I am looking around 3500 bucks for 20000km and 7 years warranty from purchase. ALso I may buy wheel warranty as it has 21" 216 big black wheels. Good idea? Just thuoght id ask as this convo has come up before and Id like to hear peoples experiences.

Lastly the fun stuff.:

I bought JL AUdio stealth box meant for X5, (should fit same) Ill let you know how that sounds with individual Audio.

But on the following where do you suggest I buy from for the upgrades below? Or are you against?

1. Black Kidney grill (thinking buying OEM?and gloss black or do i go Carbon?)
2. rear spoiler and side fins (thinking carbon and OEM)
3.LED interior kit? do I need or want one on 2011?
4. LED licencse plate same above
5.Dinan software as it still has warranty...or is there one out there undetectable?
6.Dinan lowering kit..or is there better ie K&W?
7. DVD from guy from thailand to over ride so I can have on well in motion
8. Exhaust ill wait as thats a lotta $$$

Thanks guys, sorry if I duplicated questions but there is always new members and new products so I thought id ask.. Am I missing anything?

Cant wait to send pics and join family, a lot of good support on here I see.

Pics soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the pictures of that color combo. That has got to be a beautiful set up.

Enjoy the new toy in good health.
      04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrazy View Post
Hey all.

I just placed deposit on 2011 X6M CPO'd White on Sahkir orange ~35000kms....Short of something major the deal is done pending test drive.

I will post pictures once its in my Hands! Needless to say I am super excited my Porsche RUF Turbo may not see alotta action this year haha.

So I am going to purchase extended warranty over and above the certified warranty that lasts till 2017..I have been given options like BMW ext warranty or after market ie SAL? Not sure but I am looking around 3500 bucks for 20000km and 7 years warranty from purchase. ALso I may buy wheel warranty as it has 21" 216 big black wheels. Good idea? Just thuoght id ask as this convo has come up before and Id like to hear peoples experiences.

Lastly the fun stuff.:

I bought JL AUdio stealth box meant for X5, (should fit same) Ill let you know how that sounds with individual Audio.

But on the following where do you suggest I buy from for the upgrades below? Or are you against?

5.Dinan software as it still has warranty...or is there one out there undetectable?

Thanks guys, sorry if I duplicated questions but there is always new members and new products so I thought id ask.. Am I missing anything?

Pics soon!
STAY AWAY from SAL warranty!!! I had nothing but problems with them, over and over. I have an excellent relationship with my BMW dealer and they helped out tremendously, in the end i had to start legal action against SAL to pay a simple claim. IMO they have to be the worst extended warranty around.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Congrats man! Can't wait to see the pics!

Check into BMW Plantium warranty. It is meant to closely resemble a factory warranty. I'd also get tire & wheel if you can get it; I've used mine 2x already (for flat tires) so it's paid for itself in 20k miles.

On the upgrades, one thing you omitted (unless your car already has them) is the IND Painted Reflectors, at least on the front. The only mod I have on my X6M so far and they make a huge difference. Pic: https://flic.kr/p/jzeQTB

1. Go OEM. I haven't seen a nice looking Carbon one that doesn't look like it's made out of a bubble.

2. OEM can't go wrong with.

3. If the car doesn't have one, and you mean ambience lighting, I'd go for it but make sure it looks factory -- you should never see any lights anywhere. Ambience lighting is very nice touch, for sure.

4. Not sure what this is, have a linky?

5. What do you mean, undetectable? Dinan works well with BMW and doesn't void any warranty.

6. Don't know.

7. Guy in Thailand? No idea! But DvdInMotion is a well known product to accomplish this.

8. Yeah I hear you. I would love the Akra for mine at some point with the CF tips.

Enjoy your new beast and post some pics!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Ballz4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6M

Okay I have to say your comment about the exhaust being to much$$$ is hilarious!! You can't talk about a ruff Porsche and ordering an x6m and then saying you need to worry about money! Next thing you will be asking how is the mpg with this x6m! Okay well enough said there... I would go with an active works tune, and akropovic exhaust or super sprint. Km springs or h&s if you want to save money there. Then some 22 for summer and tinted windows. Should be happy with that for awhile, then on to some body modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Made sense to me. $7k for an exhaust is a lot of money (thinking Akra; OP didn't mention what exhaust he might have been considering, as there are some cheaper ones for the X6M)

Doesn't matter what car one drives, it's still reasonable to evaluate purchases based on relevance and perceived value for the cost at any level.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for your comments - All appreciated,

Ya its kinda a different color combo and took me a while to find (Since last Aug) especially for the right price..I was a stickler for white!

Samurai of 2day - Will post pics ASAP, I fly out next week to look at it, I have a motto "never buy something you cant see". So should have in garage week of April14 -18 and will post pics.

denaliman -Thanks for input on SAL these are the comments I was looking for, Local Calgary dealer deals with another warranty provider, but maybe ill buy BMW and pay extra dough for less hassle. Ill post other provider when I get the name.

ddk632 - Thank you for detailed opinion- I agree front kidney grill in carbon may look to after market, with glossy carbon rear spoiler and fins I thought maybe kidney grill would tie together but I think Ill stay clean black look, and I have bought brand new BIG BLACK 215 style 21" wheels! already

I am not sure what interior ambience lighting it has, so Ill hold off and see, if it doesnt I will buy the LED as I think its a nice touch

Not sure what exterior License plate lighting is has but if it isnt bright Ill buy bright LED as well. Bought this for my porsche and it looks sharp at night....and yes both rides are so fast don't care if plate is more visable as it will be a blurr at night lol

DInan I understand only covers factory original 4 year warranty, mine runs out next year as its a 2011, I don't believe I have protection on software for my extended certified, or my extended after certified, so my worry is if I say blow a turbo or something $$ after 4 year OEM is up,,will they call me out on having software,,,,,so I was curious if there was a tune I could remove when it goes in to shop for work or a tune that's undetectable I could use..Not sure if Dinan is that noticeable to dealer. Just dont want to void warranty or have issues post 4 year OEM????

Yes I meant DVD in motion,,sorry got confused,,Ill use him

Yes AKRA looks cosmetically the best to me,,,Dinan is ok with black tips but AKRA gorgeous. I have spent money on eisemen on my old 540i, Dinan on my X5 4.8is, RUF on my Porsche and then changed that to GMG Titanium world cup,,, With this big purchase now and several upgrades I am just gonna wait and drive it till I decide....low on priority list and its soo much $$ for cosmetics,,,HP gain is so minimal.

Thanks again ddk632 for taking time I will def post pics when it arrives!

HAHA I hear you Ballz4 sounds funny but as I mentioned above I have spent over 20k in exhausts close to 7k alone on my titanium GMG (which is amazing!!) on my Porsche, this doesnt include my motor bikes,,,, but Its just sooooo much cash for looks...gonna have to wait for a bit and let the bank account charge up before I can do this again, maybe find a deal down the road, love to do it all at once but like everyone money doesnt grow on trees. IF you can believe at one point I was looking at 35i for fuel economy as my RUF gives all my pleasure but the darn M had just too many options to give up haha funny comment though

ddk632 You said it man,,,AKRA looks amazing to me and my first choice,, I have read a bit on Meagan?? but seems cheap, Id have to hear more on it,,,Dinan soso.. Just not sure, a lot more important decisions right now with purchase, warranty etc,,,,Down the road ill make a more calculated decision. I think were def on same page.

K guys I babbled long enough but i wanted to make sure I respectfully replied to all your comments as I REALLY appreciate you guys all taking the time to help me out. Certainly Ill post pics when it arrives, and shortly after when the rims and accessories are on!

any other help, is welcome! SO pumped for this BEAST! The wait is killing me!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

DDK632,,, Yes I was going to get clear reflectors,,,,,but now seeing your painted ones,,,I Kinda like those better..hmmmm

Sweet color combo you have!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

BALLz4 - Ill have a peak at active works, agreed akra is sweet, Ill do some research on KM springs or H&S see how low it is and ride comfort. Diana does have a sale on and feedback I have heard is great ride, no compromise which is good as I am in Canada and roads not greatest...and posts lowering is 3/4" but some say its actually more? Smooth ride and not extreme lowering look is important as it will be a daily driver...My Porsche on some bumps could rattle dental work out lol. Tint for sure! and I have the 21" 215 style..Love them but man the tires are pricey on 21" Dunlop has a monopoly on them..22's woulda been cheaper but I like the somewhat OEM look but aggressive...anyway thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Tailwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6m

Kerrazy,
I'm new here and have been looking at add-on's as well. According to Velos, the software change made isn't something that can be detected by BMW maintenance technicians. If so, then there wouldn't be any warranty issues. It can be changed back to stock at any time I think with just the programmer you can keep in glove box. This may be the same with other vendors as well. I have yet to hear of a side by side comparison of the competing vendors.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Dare I ask one more fricken question haha.

Whats the consensus these days on the darn angel eyes,,I have seen a bit of action on the X5 forum.

I was thinking the lux angel eyes new version has colour change option which I don't need but seems best quality but also $$$

Do we have any definite vendors with bright bluish nice angel eyes? Anyone have some first hand experience?

Ultimaltly the retro fit of the new LED would be best but that's down the road when more practical.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Hey all.

Lastly the fun stuff.:

Pics soon!
I would also suggest following retrofits:
- LED tail-lights
- LED headlights + FRM3 module
- Combox-media

Otherwise, congratulations. Welcome to the 2011 BMW X6M owner family. Car is amazing. I get excited every time I sit behind the wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Dare I ask one more fricken question haha.

Whats the consensus these days on the darn angel eyes,,I have seen a bit of action on the X5 forum.

I was thinking the lux angel eyes new version has colour change option which I don't need but seems best quality but also $$$

Do we have any definite vendors with bright bluish nice angel eyes? Anyone have some first hand experience?

Ultimaltly the retro fit of the new LED would be best but that's down the road when more practical.
I wish I could fork out $$$$$ for real LED headlamp, like Igor was saying.
I'd rather upgrade my suspension for my 335i coupe and nicer wheels with that money so...

But for angel eyes, I vote for these ones:
http://www.umnitza.com/dtec-v7-h8-le...tt-p-6464.html

I have them when they were $120 shipped for the pair, pre-black friday Thansgiving week. Call Tim at Umnitza, if he has overstock maybe even cheaper now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Yeah the LED headlights and taillights are the way to go when possible.

@Kerrazy Glad you like the painted reflectors. I'd definitely go with them over clear.

Btw my 2013 X6M has ambience lighting. Maybe someone with a pre-LCI (2012-) can chime in. You might already have them.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

HPIA4v2 I will check those out..seem les $$ then LUx

igorbmwx6 - LED are sweet I agree, Id have to find someone to do this for me and also liklely have to buy parts from dealership so could be $$ Ill find out.

ARE LED Taillights just the bulb or are you referring to the "blackline" taillights? if so I could buy and instll myself

I dont know what Combox is? what does it do? And what does install intail,,,do you source from dealer?

Thanks guys good thread.....for me anyway haha
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Denaliman - Do you mind explaining your issue with SAL warranty..was this only issue but otherwise good?

I am being pushed to buy SAL and concerned now
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Denaliman - Do you mind explaining your issue with SAL warranty..was this only issue but otherwise good?

I am being pushed to buy SAL and concerned now
It is a long story, but they denied several legit claims. wanted to put used parts in a steering rack, wanted to have someone drive my vehicle over 100kms away to have an "adjuster" look at it and have some "authorized" backyard shop fix an issue. Wouldn't speak to me on the phone. Ignored my correspondence, called me a liar, threatened to cancel my warranty, wouldn't even consider a claim until I could prove why the part failed and documented in writing and the list goes on. There is no Customer service and you are at the mercy of the contract language and their interpretation. I have in the past had other aftermarket warranties and never ever ran into the kind of resistance I did with Sal. In this instance you get what you pay for and SAL was the least expensive, but in the long run cost me more. Legal fees, time, aggravation etc. The dealer was on my side and tried to reason with them several times.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

DDK632 - May I ask where the heck you got your painted front reflectors from?

I thought Bimmian but they only have clear
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DDK632 - May I ask where the heck you got your painted front reflectors from?

I thought Bimmian but they only have clear
From IND:
IND-Distribution.com

You will need a flashlight and relatively long flathead screwdriver to get them out. New ones snap in place.

(This is for the fronts only; I didn't get the rears as I like the contrast of the red with my blue paint).
Appreciate 0