XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #23
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy9830 View Post
Has there been any updates on the audio issues? Do they support usb audio now? Or have the newer units gotten better with the audio quality? I really want to upgrade my screen but I am too scared considering the audio is so poor for a lot of people.
Regarding your concern on poor audio...there's music player audio and phone communication audio to consider. I've had an infotainment system in my E70 since 2018 and am currently running a 4x4 Android 10 from 2020. In general the Android 10 (and likely newer versions) output good music player audio (likely better DAC technology added). I've learned the system for a few years and have achieved fantastic audio output using a specific configuration and upgrades when playing music files. The communication audio output has been unreliable for me, especially wireless Carplay. However, I just use the OEM BT communication audio.

Overall, upgrading the infotainment system is a win so long as you temper expectations. My Android 10 is still a beta system to me with some parts great and other details problematic. I use the Android for playing music files, Waze, and movies. I use the oem system for phone communication and everything else. The system is powerful but it's not a full replacement for the oem side....at least not as of the Android 10 version I have...would love to hear from newer version infotainment owners...
      11-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #24
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditTim View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I haven't found this much helpful info anywhere else.
Question for you, SpaceGrey_e70, when you say, "getting my CarPlay set up," what exactly are you doing, pluging your iPhone into a wired carplay/android usb cable from the glovebox? And what iPhone model?
By that I meant I set up WIRELESS CarPlay through the android unit. Once my iPhone connects it directs the audio to the android unit as well, but then I open my control center on my iPhone and change the audio output to go to my OEM BMW Bluetooth instead (because it is much, much better and never skips).

So I get to use CarPlay as normal and all my music, traffic alerts, phone calls, etc are played through the BMW side flawlessly. My only problem is the android CarPlay side can be laggy sometimes (like maps lagging as I drive around).

I have an iPhone 12.

2011 BMW X5 35i || M Performance Package || BMS CAI
Sequential LED Rear Bumper Reflectors
LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #25
efac
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGrey_E70 View Post
By that I meant I set up WIRELESS CarPlay through the android unit. Once my iPhone connects it directs the audio to the android unit as well, but then I open my control center on my iPhone and change the audio output to go to my OEM BMW Bluetooth instead (because it is much, much better and never skips).

So I get to use CarPlay as normal and all my music, traffic alerts, phone calls, etc are played through the BMW side flawlessly. My only problem is the android CarPlay side can be laggy sometimes (like maps lagging as I drive around).

I have an iPhone 12.

Might be an old thread but I purchased a unit by 4x4 last month running Andriod 12 and regardless of wireless or wired, I get audio drop at least once every 2mins. It's very quick but if I drive into the city, at times it's unusable. I never had this on the OEM system and would play music over bluetooth all time. I have updated the firmware to the latest release they provided without success. Anyone make any headway on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #26
efac
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 Gran Coupe

I have the same issue with a 4x4shop unit and asked to the replace it. Even if I play the demo music or video on the unit itself, there's a skip in audio. Did you ever get this resolve and if so, how? They even sent me an updated firmware without success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Hi Everyone. I've been working on an issue on and off for the past 2 months, and have yet to find a solution. I could use some help.

I have the a 3 month old 10.25" Qualcomm Snapdragon Android 10 Head Unit with wireless CarPlay that I bought from the 4x4 Shop Canada. It has 4G RAM + 64G ROM (8 Core) - 4G/LTE capability.

My problem is when playing music over in CarPlay, over any streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music, or even playing music downloaded to my phone from those services, the music will randomly "skip" like a scratched CD. It sometimes will happen every 15-20 seconds, and other times it will go for 30-40 minutes with no issue. When it is happening, which is often, it's irritating enough that I often will switch the music off, which is very unfortunate given music is half the reason (other reason is GPS) that I wanted CarPlay.

Does anyone have a solution? Or better yet, has anyone purchased this exact unit and NOT had this problem? I've read many people say they have the issue, and have yet to hear anyone say they don't have the issue. Small sample size though, so looking to hear more people's experience with this 4x4 shop unit.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help/thoughts.
Appreciate 0