XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #23
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Is it still happening? Or have you made other changes to get rid of it completely?

(Mine came on the day after I changed my battery. Yesterday when I connected the new battery, the 4x4, DSC, ASC came on, with a heavy steering wheel, but they cleared after driving a few meters as usual and steering softened again. Today, car switched off, I tested a charger on the car battery for a few seconds to see if it works. An hour later, I switch on the car, errors come on, my steering is soft, and the errors do not clear after driving. First time I see this behavior. I will try now turning wheel lock to lock and see if it clears.)

UPDATE:
5 minutes after writing the above, I went down and tried the LOCK-to-LOCK trick and all is OK now.
Switched on car, turned left all the way slowly till the end, turned right all the way slowly till the end.
I must have done this 3 times when I hear a the 'BING' warning sound, and I saw "Servotronic Failure" with a YELLOW steering wheel icon in my cluster.
I thought to myself 'What now? Bigger problems?'.
But no... In the same split second, all errors cleared up!
Took it for a drive and all is well.

Last edited by conandrum; 12-16-2023 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #24
Daytonawim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 LCI 3.5i 2012

Did you registerd the new battery on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #25
spw
Rep
Drives: E46 330d

@Daytonawim It's not imperative to register the battery after you change ...the car will run but is good to do it.
Anyway, someone with this problem, have solved the AL problems?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:53 PM   #26
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I didn’t solve it. I think it has something to do with the DSC module.
I read instructions about disconnecting the valve block and turning the wheel lock to lock then ign off and back on.

For now, I waited until I started the car and the electric steering centered the steering wheel, I removed the active steering fuse and coded it out.
Steering is a little on the heavy side, feels like hydraulic steering, no dash lights and no steering wheel moving on its own.

Last edited by Serf27; 04-16-2024 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:18 AM   #27
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Interesting, sorry you're having all these issues. FWIW, I had to change out my steering column at 20k miles, p/n: 32-30-6-786-254. I didn't have any signficant symptoms and the dealer diagnosed it and it was all done under warranty. What a bear that must have been. Sorry I don't have any more info, like why this needed repair...I've since realized I need to keep that information in my records.

And, as you've indicated, for vehicles with Active Front Steering (ASF), you have to set the steering angle sensor (lock to lock) to dismiss the dash errors every time you disconnect the battery...at least under nomal circumstances.