XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #45
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
This is based off personal experience and what I have seen on a consistent basis in my area locally:

I recently replaced my e92 with a Lexus GSF. Love this car, it’s perfect for my needs. Production run is 2k per MY, so it’s very rare if you ever see one. I’m driving down I10 and a red charger cruises up next to me and starts revving his engine to get me to race. I looked at him and then looked back to driving, he hits the gas and pulls off ahead of me. I’ve had this happen on numerous occasions with specifically Chargers, Challengers and Camaros. Haven’t had issues with Mustangs idk why. I never engage because these people are clearly of low intelligence. Being such a low production car makes it stick out compared to say a BMW M5, which to the average person, looks like every other BMW. Not hating, just a perspective validated by the wife: She saw a F10 M5 and I showed her the new M5, and she said “I don’t get it, they look like every other BMW.”

Also, being Texas, I get tailgated a lot by jacked up trucks that feel they can do as they please because their vehicle is much larger. It’s just the mindset down here though.
Funny how far, far fewer of those cars challenge me now that I drive a P-car as a DD ... but far, far more Toyota Corollas and such do ...

... but none of that applies to those bro-trucks. Most folks who drive those basically behave the same way ... and it's not gender-specific. They're the new Hummer/Cadillac Escalade, basically; most are driven as status symbols by folks who don't deserve the status. (And: those trucks can easily cost as much as my P-car.)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #46
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Funny how far, far fewer of those cars challenge me now that I drive a P-car as a DD ... but far, far more Toyota Corollas and such do ...

... but none of that applies to those bro-trucks. Most folks who drive those basically behave the same way ... and it's not gender-specific. They're the new Hummer/Cadillac Escalade, basically; most are driven as status symbols by folks who don't deserve the status. (And: those trucks can easily cost as much as my P-car.)
I don't think it's because you have an uber cool Porsche I think it's because mostly old farts drive them like Miss Daisy. That is what I see in Porsches around here anyway. Porsche SUVs are piloted by soccer moms.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #47
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I don't think it's because you have an uber cool Porsche I think it's because mostly old farts drive them like Miss Daisy. That is what I see in Porsches around here anyway. Porsche SUVs are piloted by soccer moms.
Sure, there's a fair amount of those. I'm not one of 'em. (Example: I've burned through the OEM tires in 7.5k miles. Miss Daisy wouldn't approve, hehe.)

I didn't buy the Porsche because it's cool. That's your stereotype, not mine.

Last edited by Viffermike; 06-21-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #48
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasuperdude View Post
If you want a real go at making muscle cars look slow, invite them to your local auto-x
Funny you say that because all the late model muscle cars handle comparably to stock BMWs. It's been that way for a few years now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #49
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Funny you say that because all the late model muscle cars handle comparably to stock BMWs. It's been that way for a few years now.
In F-Street an E92 won it's class last year, again. They did move the newest version of the Camaro to A-Street. And there's no Dodge yet that can corner as well as the E9x or E46 chassis. Not including the Viper ACR.
      06-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #50
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
In F-Street an E92 won it's class last year, again. They did move the newest version of the Camaro to A-Street. And there's no Dodge yet that can corner as well as the E9x or E46 chassis. Not including the Viper ACR.
Lolz. Way to cherry pick to fit your argument
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #51
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Just compare the ring times on the m4 CS with the zl1 and you can see how far behind those American muscle cars are. Throw in 1/4 too if you really want proof of the superior German engineering
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #52
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:

Down here, the status symbol is a GMC Sierra TX edition. They are nice trucks, just not my thing. Other than that, I see Dodge Rams with the Cummins engine with the huge exhaust tip that make it sound like a 18-wheeler. Or I will see a Silverado slammed to the ground with the 6.2 engine, exhaust annoyingly loud. Regardless, it’s just a dick measuring competition to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #53
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Sure, there's a fair amount of those. I'm not one of 'em. (Example: I've burned through the OEM tires in 7.5k miles. Miss Daisy wouldn't approve, hehe.)

I didn't buy the Porsche because it's cool. That's your stereotype, not mine.
It's not mine either. Outside of the old whale tail & the late model GT3RS cars, they don't do anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #54
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not try to argue here. I'm simply pointing out a couple facts I happen to know. I didn't cherry pick, I mentioned a few cars and gave credit to the new Camaro. Again, sorry if I came off argumentative. Just trying carry a friendly conversation.

I almost bought a 2015 GT over my E90, I just have a need for a sedan. It's my dog/auto-x car.
      06-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #55
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not try to argue here. I'm simply pointing out a couple facts I happen to know. I didn't cherry pick, I mentioned a few cars and gave credit to the new Camaro. Again, sorry if I came off argumentative. Just trying carry a friendly conversation.

I almost bought a 2015 GT over my E90, I just have a need for a sedan. It's my dog/auto-x car.
No need to apologize, friend - it's just friendly banter. Just had to give you a little shit for excluding two of the best American cars. It was meant in good fun
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #56
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just had to give you a little shit for excluding two of the best American cars.
Cheers! There's a lot angst on forms these days. Hard to tell who's having fun busting balls and who's actually serious.

If you mean Vettes, I personally view them as a true sports car (2 seater) and they don't compete in the same class in Stock form. What other car did I miss? Now you have me thinking...
      07-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #57
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
So this guy in a jaguar F type R or whatever, it's looking like he wants to race.
Not that I would advocate that at all.
But as we were waiting for the light to turn green, and the cars in the opposite direction are making their turn with a protected arrow, he launches between cars. Between cars .....What an ass!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #58
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Just compare the ring times on the m4 CS with the zl1 and you can see how far behind those American muscle cars are. Throw in 1/4 too if you really want proof of the superior German engineering
If you really want to play that game, you should be comparing the ZL1 1LE, a $75K car vs. the M4 CS which is around $125K. The 1SS 1LE beats the Porsche GT4 at Streets of Willow. The M4 GTS goes around Nurburgring at 7:27:88, the ZL1 1LE goes around it at 7:16:04. A few seconds is huge there. More than 10 seconds? The chassis aren't even on the same planet. That's with an unknown driver too, the "named" driver GTS time is 10 seconds slower than even that. Now, a ZL1 1LE and an M4 GS or GTS are pretty race-specific chassis that aren't very comfortable for most daily driver scenarios. There's always those that rationalize them and I haven't driven the ZL1 1LE suspension, but if you want to go more apples to apples, just look at the "standard" versions. "Normal" ZL1 ring time 7:29:60, the 2nd M4 GTS time is 7:37, the only "normal" M4 time I see is 7:52.

Seriously, these chassis aren't even on the same planet.

The new Mustang PP2 doesn't quite match the SS 1LE, but it's close, very close. Everyone is wondering how good the GT500 will be, if it'll be mostly straight-line like the old, or more of an all-around performance car, like the GT350s. The standard GT350 is a bit slower than the SS 1LE, and the 350R is just slightly faster, but all of these are way beyond what is happening these days on the 3/4 series BMW chassis. You're going to need to come up with a better comparison if you want to show how far behind American muscle cars are...
      07-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #59
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Bottom line?

Real men don't race on public streets. Period. Real men let the boys in Hellcats, Mustangs, Challengers, or what have you zoom by because natural selection will take care of them in due course.

#GetATrackToyAlready
:::honks three times:::