XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

X5M Merino leather grain

Hi guys,

I have a question about the silverstone merino leather I saw in a X5M that I looked at today. I was quite surprised that it was very grainy as I've come to expect that the leather in all M cars that I've ever seen/owned are very smooth (e.g. nappa in my e36m3 (black), e39m5 (caramel), and a friend's E70 X5 (forget what his beige is called) as well as the novillo in my e92m3 (black)). Back when my parents got their '98 740i, I didn't know anything about cars and thought it was nice. It wasn't until I got the '99m3 that I thought the leather in their car was very grainy and tough, almost making me think that it was leatherette!

You can imagine my surprise when I saw the silverstone merino leather in the X5M today and saw that it was very grainy. Well, this particular car was beat to hell and back where I ran the other way, but I digress =)

Any opinions?

TIA!

Last edited by ekological; 02-02-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As an example, the picture of the seat in sunlight in post #3 looks nice, but then the picture of the BMW Individual label under it is...bleh

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=719354
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Look up full-grain vs top-grain leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Hi guys,

I have a question about the silverstone merino leather I saw in a X5M that I looked at today. I was quite surprised that it was very grainy as I've come to expect that the leather in all M cars that I've ever seen/owned are very smooth (e.g. nappa in my e36m3 (black), e39m5 (caramel), and a friend's E70 X5 (forget what his beige is called) as well as the novillo in my e92m3 (black)). Back when my parents got their '98 740i, I didn't know anything about cars and thought it was nice. It wasn't until I got the '99m3 that I thought the leather in their car was very grainy and tough, almost making me think that it was leatherette!

You can imagine my surprise when I saw the silverstone merino leather in the X5M today and saw that it was very grainy. Well, this particular car was beat to hell and back where I ran the other way, but I digress =)

Any opinions?

TIA!
Yep, very grainy. I still have my E70 X5M and the leather is very grainy compared to my 16 M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yep, very grainy. I still have my E70 X5M and the leather is very grainy compared to my 16 M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Thanks!
In case you haven't looked up full-grain vs top-grain leather;

Quote:
Full-Grain Leather vs. Top-Grain Leather

The strongest and most durable part of the hide of an animal is just below the hair. The grain pattern in this part of the hide is very tight, and the leather made from here is called "full-grain" leather. Full-grain leather is the strongest and most durable leather. Additionally, since the grain is so tight, it resists moisture very well. Over time, full-grain leather will look nicer and nicer and develop a patina from being handled.

The next best—and second strongest—leather is called "top-grain" leather. Top grain leather is similar to full-grain leather, except that the top couple millimeters have been sanded and buffed to take away imperfections. With the top layer removed, the leather will have a more uniform finish, but it won't be as durable—and it will break down much faster. This is more of a "cookie cutter" leather that most leather wallets and handbags are made of, which lends to their generic appearance. Top-grain leather can be good leather, but its strength and durability is not even close to the strength of full-grain leather.
Appreciate 0