XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

When changing the struts and springs, what else do I need to order?

So, my front end refresh order on FCP is very expensive. Some of the cost is attributed to the B4 shocks. I'm likely going to go ahead and do new shocks and springs, but I'm not sure if I need to replace every little component. I'll replace the coil spring shims, because I'm sure these are shot. Those total to about $80. Bump stops are known to be trashed, and my vehicle has 220k on it with unknown mileage on the front end, so I'm doing those. $100 for the pair. My dust sleeves, I'm going to check, but if the look intact can I reuse those? That's $53 for the pair.
The two strut mount support rings (2 different ones it seems per side) and the strut mounts, I assume need to be replaced. I'm also replacing the springs because mine are definitely rusty, and possibly cracked.

There's not many places to save a little bit of money here, and it looks like if I'm going to do the struts, it's going to be a $920 bill. I'm totally ok with spending the money, since I plan on keeping the x5 for a pretty long time. If there's anything I listed that I don't NEED to replace, I'd love to get this parts bill a little lower. Thank you in advanced for your help!

note: I'm doing the tensions struts to hopefully help get rid of a vibration I have. Either way, they're totally shot. And while I'm under there, I just can't ignore the springs and shocks that just started squeaking. If I'm in there, I might as well swap them.
      06-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Strut mounts, shock mounts, sway bar links
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
nick82006
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 Xdrive35i

2011 35i LCI - I am about to do the same install. Below are the parts im replacing.

4 x Shocks - Koni Active
2 x Strut Mounts (front)
12 x Additional rubber absorbers (3per corner, upper, lower and bump stop)
2 x Lower Control Arms (Front)
2 x Tension Arms (Front)
2 x Upper Wishbone (Front)
4 x Sway Bar Links (Front and Rear)

Install will be within 2 weeks. I also ordered all the various nuts/bolts that were outlined on realOEM.com

Good luck!
Appreciate 0