XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Question Anyone lowered their X6 w/2" H&R sport spring drop?

Just wanted to see if there were any pictures out there that anyone has seen with the 2" drop. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver X6

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Having my 2" H&R kit installed tomorrow. I will definitely post before and after pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Skyhi,
Can you do us a favor and prior to the install measure over the center of you front and rear wheel hubs the height above the pavement of the wheel well lips? I've got "adaptive drive" and was sitting at 33 and 1/4 inches front and rear prior to the 1.2 inch lowering with H&R. I'm curious if that option made my car higher than those without it. I'm running 21 inch BMW wheels but I'd wager anything BMW puts on would be all the same diameter for wheel and tire combination's. Perhaps you've seen the thread, below link. It has pictures of my car before and after as well as the wheel/tire specs. Thanks for your time.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338165
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

I have the 2" kit sitting in my garage as well.. Just as a reminder, it's 2" at the front. Rear is still 1.2" like the regular kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHI View Post
Having my 2" H&R kit installed tomorrow. I will definitely post before and after pics.
Oh great . Yes, please post many pics of different angles. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg3 View Post
I have the 2" kit sitting in my garage as well.. Just as a reminder, it's 2" at the front. Rear is still 1.2" like the regular kit.
Is that what is normal with the rear self leveling system? Springs are only for front. I'm assuming my X6 50i with sports package will have the leveling system.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Skyhi,
Can you do us a favor and prior to the install measure over the center of you front and rear wheel hubs the height above the pavement of the wheel well lips? I've got "adaptive drive" and was sitting at 33 and 1/4 inches front and rear prior to the 1.2 inch lowering with H&R. I'm curious if that option made my car higher than those without it. I'm running 21 inch BMW wheels but I'd wager anything BMW puts on would be all the same diameter for wheel and tire combination's. Perhaps you've seen the thread, below link. It has pictures of my car before and after as well as the wheel/tire specs. Thanks for your time.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338165

Most definitely will, although I do have the adaptive drive as well. Unfortunately they won't be able to get to my vehicle until tomorrow so I'll get pictures prior to dropping it off in the morning. I noticed mention of the headlights not adjusting accordingly once the vehicle is lowered, any input on this issue? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
eg3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
Is that what is normal with the rear self leveling system? Springs are only for front. I'm assuming my X6 50i with sports package will have the leveling system.
Mine is for non-leveling and it's 4 springs so front & rear unless one set is a spare
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
Just for those who are doing the lowering for front spring with self levering. Some company charge $$$ for that self levering like Hartge spring. Because it said it need to sent program for the self levering to work. Dont buy that all BS. Just beware once you put on the front spring, back to the floor, turn on the engine, the car self level by itself. It took 4 step to lower to get level with the front 30mm drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
Just for those who are doing the lowering for front spring with self levering. Some company charge $$$ for that self levering like Hartge spring. Because it said it need to sent program for the self levering to work. Dont buy that all BS. Just beware once you put on the front spring, back to the floor, turn on the engine, the car self level by itself. It took 4 step to lower to get level with the front 30mm drop.
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate on this a little? Hartge program? 4 Steps to lower? Where do you recommend having it done so that it doesn't get screwed up? Dp you have the 30 mm drop or 2" drop? Waht's your opinion? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
Sorry for my poor English. I have a 30mm drop done by Hartge. What I mean is some installer will charge a sevice charge for rear leveling. Where actually it doesn't require it at all. Because as soon as you finish installing the front spring, place the car back to the floor, switch on the engine. The rear air suspension automatically self level itself and automatically stop when it get inline with the front.

What I mean by the "program" is that some installer will tell you B.S that you will require Hartge rear suspension program to lower the rear. I was nearly charge AUS$400 for that so call rear program drop which doesn't require at all. For that B.S reason I am not going back to that installer again.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

For what it's worth, H&R makes two types of lowering springs. One model for non leveling, other for leveling. Both models have option of 1.2 or 2.O inch drop in front and both are same price. I'd change out rear as well as front because of different spring rates than stock. I'm pleased with H&R's ride and I don't know why, but as I, said the thumping I used to get over normal small bumps is almost gone since the change out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I hope SKYHI will post pictures of his 2" drop. I'm waiting with anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
eg3
Private
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth, H&R makes two types of lowering springs. One model for non leveling, other for leveling. Both models have option of 1.2 or 2.O inch drop in front and both are same price. I'd change out rear as well as front because of different spring rates than stock. I'm pleased with H&R's ride and I don't know why, but as I, said the thumping I used to get over normal small bumps is almost gone since the change out.

It's the softer spring rate. On my previous FX, the H&Rs gave a better ride than the stock springs as well. Basically, the OEM springs are longer but stiffer to make sure both it handles well and rides high. That is only achieved by a stiffer compression rate which makes the ride though.. On the other hand, H&Rs are shorter, which makes them compress less but the springs would have a softer rate. It would still be stiff but the bounciness and crushyness of the OEM springs would be gone, especially on minor road problems. On deep potholes, it should be more crushy than OEM because of less compression travel.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys. I hope SKYHI will post pictures of his 2" drop. I'm waiting with anticipation.

Hey guys, update on the 2" drop. (You all are going to get a kick out of this) I took the measurements this morning before dropping it off for the install and it looks like it's 31 7/8 from pavement to fender molding @ center hub. Now with that said I received a call from the shop this morning with my guy telling me that my vehicle does not have the self leveling as implied by my BMW salesman because I have springs in the rear. Of course I took the salesman's word for it and when calling him on it he went into the whole deal about me having the adaptive drive package and blah blah blah, Whatever you prick you can stop now I've already bought the car!! Ha! Being I recently purchased the vehicle and immediately ordered the kit going off of what he said I purchased the wrong kit. I didn't plan on putting wheels (I like the 20" Y Spokes especially being I opted for the 4 year tire warranty) but wanted to fill the gaps in the fenders for obvious reasons and unfortunately ordered on the fly. So...... Needless to say the front springs are in and look better than expected honestly. I was worried the 2" drop was going to be a bit much but I think it's perfect now seeing them installed. I had to order the whole other kit to get the rears which will be in Monday and I will return the front springs that come with it in my other box and packaging from my being the are the same parts and get my refund on the self leveling kit. Yes it has been a hell of a day to say the least!!!! Sorry I wasn't able to take pics today but I have been stuck at the office and the truck is obviously in the shop (drove by at lunch to take a look). I promise I will grab some tomorrow for you guys to check it out. It has been a long and frustrating day as far as this kit is concerned but it will be well worth it when completed. Again I do apologize for not having pics today but promise to get them up tomorrow!!! ~"SKY"~
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys, update on the 2" drop. (You all are going to get a kick out of this) I took the measurements this morning before dropping it off for the install and it looks like it's 31 7/8 from pavement to fender molding @ center hub. Now with that said I received a call from the shop this morning with my guy telling me that my vehicle does not have the self leveling as implied by my BMW salesman because I have springs in the rear. Of course I took the salesman's word for it and when calling him on it he went into the whole deal about me having the adaptive drive package and blah blah blah, Whatever you prick you can stop now I've already bought the car!! Ha! Being I recently purchased the vehicle and immediately ordered the kit going off of what he said I purchased the wrong kit. I didn't plan on putting wheels (I like the 20" Y Spokes especially being I opted for the 4 year tire warranty) but wanted to fill the gaps in the fenders for obvious reasons and unfortunately ordered on the fly. So...... Needless to say the front springs are in and look better than expected honestly. I was worried the 2" drop was going to be a bit much but I think it's perfect now seeing them installed. I had to order the whole other kit to get the rears which will be in Monday and I will return the front springs that come with it in my other box and packaging from my being the are the same parts and get my refund on the self leveling kit. Yes it has been a hell of a day to say the least!!!! Sorry I wasn't able to take pics today but I have been stuck at the office and the truck is obviously in the shop (drove by at lunch to take a look). I promise I will grab some tomorrow for you guys to check it out. It has been a long and frustrating day as far as this kit is concerned but it will be well worth it when completed. Again I do apologize for not having pics today but promise to get them up tomorrow!!! ~"SKY"~
Oh man. Sorry you had a bad day. How can we tell if we have the adaptive suspension? Does it come on a particular package? I ordered mine with the sport package. Should be here in a few weeks. It just went into production after 6 weeks. I was told there was a backorder for the rear camera. I want to make a decision and order the springs after I see your pictures on the fender gap to make sure it doesn't sit too low. I just want a flush look with minimal gap. Can you please let us know what wheel size you are running? I plan on running 22" Hartge wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh man. Sorry you had a bad day. How can we tell if we have the adaptive suspension? Does it come on a particular package? I ordered mine with the sport package. Should be here in a few weeks. It just went into production after 6 weeks. I was told there was a backorder for the rear camera. I want to make a decision and order the springs after I see your pictures on the fender gap to make sure it doesn't sit too low. I just want a flush look with minimal gap. Can you please let us know what wheel size you are running? I plan on running 22" Hartge wheels.
I picked up the car this evening and took some pics but it was obviously night time. Did my best by parking under lighting at carwash so send emails if interested in seeing them. Remember only the front has been done. I'll get more in the daylight tomorrow.

Oh and as far as the adaptive drive, in 2009 if you purchased the $3,700 sport package you got it, for 2010 they offered 2 separate packages but you'll definitely know by the price of the package. I am still running the factory 20" Y Spokes and as you'll see in he pics there is still a bit of room to play with.

Last edited by SKYHI; 01-13-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

One can tell if they have self leveling, I'm told by the dealer, if one has air bladders in the rear. No air bladders no self leveling. SkyHi, I figured it had to be something like that because I have the sport package on my 09 but no mention of 'Adaptive Drive ' anywhere on my window sticker. Car was bought off lot, not ordered.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
One can tell if they have self leveling, I'm told by the dealer, if one has air bladders in the rear. No air bladders no self leveling. SkyHi, I figured it had to be something like that because I have the sport package on my 09 but no mention of 'Adaptive Drive ' anywhere on my window sticker. Car was bought off lot, not ordered.
Yea it caused some confusion when they separated the sport packages for 2010.

Here are the pics as promised guys. Remember this is the 2" H&R kit on front only, rear will be installed on Monday. ;-/

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I picked up the car this evening and took some pics but it was obviously night time. Did my best by parking under lighting at carwash so send emails if interested in seeing them. Remember only the front has been done. I'll get more in the daylight tomorrow.

Oh and as far as the adaptive drive, in 2009 if you purchased the $3,700 sport package you got it, for 2010 they offered 2 separate packages but you'll definitely know by the price of the package. I am still running the factory 20" Y Spokes and as you'll see in he pics there is still a bit of room to play with.
Ok so I ordered the more expensive sports package so I will definitely have the adaptive drive?

I wonder how Hartge made this car look so flushed. They told me it was only a 30mm drop. Nothing else I've seen looks like that, even your 2" drop still has room.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok so I ordered the more expensive sports package so I will definitely have the adaptive drive?

I wonder how Hartge made this car look so flushed. They told me it was only a 30mm drop. Nothing else I've seen looks like that, even your 2" drop still has room.
Well considering they are probably running larger wheels than I am, that may factor in a bit but I am with you on the 30mm, definitely seems to be a bit lower than that. Honestly you never know what all those guys have modified on that unit. Chances are the person you spoke with only sees the picture as you do and knows what products they have available.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #22
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well considering they are probably running larger wheels than I am, that may factor in a bit but I am with you on the 30mm, definitely seems to be a bit lower than that. Honestly you never know what all those guys have modified on that unit. Chances are the person you spoke with only sees the picture as you do and knows what products they have available.
Well he insisted that the car is with a 30mm drop and when they were testing the 2" drop with that wheel setup, the performance was really bad and there was some rubbing and clicking or banging noise he said. They decided not to develop the 2" drop and felt the 30mm was sufficient. Heck, I guess I'm back where I started. I wish someone could give me a clear and concise answer when I call them to enquire.

Supposedly the silver vehicle on this site(Reverelondon) under the BMW X6 is also a 30mm drop with 22's. Looks flush too. Check it out.

http://www.reverelondon.com/flash.htm
Appreciate 0