XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

What DOC cat on deleted X5?

Doing some light reading it looks like there is some difference between the design/materials used for diesel catalytic converters vs gas catalytic converters. Trying to find something for deleted X5D with a downpipe without a cat.

Any suggestions? Can't seem to find anything on ebay. The buzzken setup is ideal, but too expensive since I already have the downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

The DOC on my ATM Downpipe was made by Cannamex USA which owns Thunderbolt(product details below). I believe its a 3.5" and I think the downpipe tapers to 3" after the DOC, so it could be a good amount of work adding to a tapered downpipe. From their older catalog it looks like they don't make a 3.0" which would be ideal for adding later in the system. Also I've read that you want catalytic converters pretty close to the turbos as they are more effective at higher temps, but dont know how much less effective they are further downstream.

I believe this is the model of my DOC:
Thunderbolt 810312
https://www.thunderboltperformance.com/catalog/
https://www.ebay.com/p/520733380

There definitely still is a little smell at stop lights just fyi.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Rawtek has a cat just after the downpipe in there kit. I helped a friend delete his x5d using that kits and we just used a nice heat wrap tape to make sure it heated up enough to work, especially being in Maine and it being so damn cold. As far as I know though the cat works great even being further down stream.
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Rawtek has a cat just after the downpipe in there kit. I helped a friend delete his x5d using that kits and we just used a nice heat wrap tape to make sure it heated up enough to work, especially being in Maine and it being so damn cold. As far as I know though the cat works great even being further down stream.
Never thought of that, heat wrapping the cat. I think I may do the same as I have the Rawtek kit too (not installed yet).
      11-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Never thought of that, heat wrapping the cat. I think I may do the same as I have the Rawtek kit too (not installed yet).
Yes! It was his idea. I actually should reach out to him to see how it's held up to the abuse of Maines wonderful road chemicals
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

[QUOTE=RL18;26946533]Rawtek has a cat just after the downpipe in there kit. I helped a friend delete his x5d using that kits and we just used a nice heat wrap tape to make sure it heated up enough to work, especially being in Maine and it being so damn cold. As far as I know though the cat works great even being further down stream.[/QUOTE]

To be most effective the DOC must be the closest it can to the turbo. I'm been happy with buzzken's downpipe with DOC. Helps to keep the smell down and tones down the turbo whistle

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post

To be most effective the DOC must be the closest it can to the turbo. I'm been happy with buzzken's downpipe with DOC. Helps to keep the smell down and tones down the turbo whistle
I agree with you that it may not be as effective as a DOC in the downpipe, but it still is effective and works nonetheless

If you want the most effective then a DOC in the downpipe is the move. Me personally says no to a DOC, let the turbskies sing
Nyc Dito112.50
      03-07-2024, 10:57 AM   #8
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thread bump!
I just ordered an ATM downpipe with a diesel oxidation catalyst. I confirmed that ATM makes these in the USA. I'll be using this in conjunction with a DUDMD stage 2 tune.
I intend on doing a review after install. Strangely enough, I used to not be bothered by exhaust smells. When I was in my 20s, I had a supra and ran it open downpipe for a full year. Same with diesels, never bothered me and I had several TDI's. But now that I have a garage, wife and kids, I would like to cut down on the smell as much as possible. Ultimately, the performance/efficiency gains, sound improvement and increased reliability was enough make me spring for the full stage 2 with the DOC...
I'll report back...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 06:38 AM   #9
bmwboyee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberjj View Post
Thread bump!
I just ordered an ATM downpipe with a diesel oxidation catalyst. I confirmed that ATM makes these in the USA. I'll be using this in conjunction with a DUDMD stage 2 tune.
I intend on doing a review after install. Strangely enough, I used to not be bothered by exhaust smells. When I was in my 20s, I had a supra and ran it open downpipe for a full year. Same with diesels, never bothered me and I had several TDI's. But now that I have a garage, wife and kids, I would like to cut down on the smell as much as possible. Ultimately, the performance/efficiency gains, sound improvement and increased reliability was enough make me spring for the full stage 2 with the DOC...
I'll report back...
I have the VRSF with the DOC and I still get plenty of smell.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 06:54 AM   #10
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thread bump!
I'll report back...
I think it will always smell a bit in a garage, as both the engine and cat are cold. Definitely make sure your thermostat is good also. They are pretty much a scheduled maintenance item and when faulty wont let the engine get up to proper temp which results in less complete combustion/more smell.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #11
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thread bump!
I'll report back...

Funny. I just removed the DOC from my ATM downpipe. No difference at start-up as the DOC doesn't do anything until it's warmed up. When warm I don't notice any difference because I don't hang out behind my car.

In terms of noise, I can hear slightly more turbo whistle under normal driving conditions. If I roll the windows down as I'm pulling through my alley the turbo whistle is definitely noticeable, but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:36 AM   #12
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
Funny. I just removed the DOC from my ATM downpipe. No difference at start-up as the DOC doesn't do anything until it's warmed up. When warm I don't notice any difference because I don't hang out behind my car.

In terms of noise, I can hear slightly more turbo whistle under normal driving conditions. If I roll the windows down as I'm pulling through my alley the turbo whistle is definitely noticeable, but I like it.
Haha, well I just spent an extra $275 for the DOC! I JUST came across this video of my exact setup I'll be doing last night... It's a little tamer than I was hoping for TBH, but I'm sure my wife will appreciate the slightly tamer sound and less diesel smell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z74x1mWuRG0

Interestingly, you can't hear the turbo whistle at idle with the ATM DOC and DUDMD stage 2 tune...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:08 PM   #13
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha, well I just spent an extra $275 for the DOC! I JUST came across this video of my exact setup I'll be doing last night... It's a little tamer than I was hoping for TBH, but I'm sure my wife will appreciate the slightly tamer sound and less diesel smell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z74x1mWuRG0

Interestingly, you can't hear the turbo whistle at idle with the ATM DOC and DUDMD stage 2 tune...
Edit: After double checking the turbo noise isn't as noticable on idle as I remember (ATM DOC), maybe I only get turbo noise on idle in colder temps during warmup?

I'd love more turbo noise personally but I'd rather not have the car to stand out too much (when pulling through the neighborhood, over at friends with kids). Its got a nice enough grumble with the doc.

Last edited by wcs531; 03-08-2024 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0