XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Installed LED front signal bulbs - no errors E70 LCI

Hello all,

Ever since we got our X5 LCI I have wondered why BMW went cheap on the bulbs and did not do LED’s like our E91 LCI. Well I finally got tired of it and decided to take a shot on some front turn signal bulbs that were advertised as “error free”. I know a lot of people have success on the E90 board with coding, but until the warranty is up I want to stay away from that route. A few weeks ago I ordered a set of PY24W Amber LED bulbs from highperformancebulbs.com:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/...py24w-led.html

they arrived about a week later and the install was a breeze. I decided not to remove the fender liner and just go with the reach through the engine compartment method. It took a few tries on the driver side (first one I did) to get the pins to line up correctly and to get a feel for how the housing comes in and out. But, once I got the first one in the other side took a minute tops. I first turned on just the hazard lights to see how they looked and I have to say it is very nice. Light output during the day looks just like the factory bulb, maybe a tad brighter, but has that nice crisp on off and pure amber color. Then I fired up the car. No errors or bulb out warning. No hyper flash either. I am very satisfied and has now been a few weeks since the install and no errors and they are working great. I think I will try out this set in the rear turn signals:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/...-bmw-audi.html
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

I installed the WeissLicht led signal bulbs about a month ago and could not be happier. Install for me was a pain. I just could not get the pins to line up, but after an hour i got them to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Atanas Spasov
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW x5 35i Premium

Could you upload a youtube video of the emergency signals just flashing. I would like to see how they look flashing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atanas Spasov View Post
Could you upload a youtube video of the emergency signals just flashing. I would like to see how they look flashing.
Sorry for the delay. Wanted to get the rear bulbs in as well. here is a video I shot of the hazard lights on. they appear to flicker in parts of the video but I think that may be the frame rate or something cause in real life they do not do that. just a nice sharp on and off like you would expect from LED bulbs. No errors.

http://youtu.be/-r46VFLFeU0
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Nice!

How bright are the rears compared to stock?
      11-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3
Nice!

How bright are the rears compared to stock?
Hard to put a number on it. They look the same as stock during the day and a tad brighter at night. Not nearly as bright as our e90 lci but those lights are insanely bright at night. I am happy cause my goals were same or brighter than stock, no more egg yolk up front, no errors, and the crisp on off of LEDs. 4 out of 4. Winning.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Hard to put a number on it. They look the same as stock during the day and a tad brighter at night. Not nearly as bright as our e90 lci but those lights are insanely bright at night. I am happy cause my goals were same or brighter than stock, no more egg yolk up front, no errors, and the crisp on off of LEDs. 4 out of 4. Winning.
Awesome! I had heard some LEDs were dimmer than stock, but I think I'll have to give them a try now.

So strange they didn't just go full LED tails to begin with.
      11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Awesome! I had heard some LEDs were dimmer than stock, but I think I'll have to give them a try now.

So strange they didn't just go full LED tails to begin with.
Yeah, it still puzzles me that they skipped led on the car. I love the lights on our e91.

I was worried about them being dim too so I read a lot of reviews first. Then took the plunge. Figured if they sucked it was not a huge monetary loss.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
sm595
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Hello, therealm3.
I was looking for led turn signal bulbs but the led bulbs I got from some manufacture unfortunately generated a short error message and warning sound at every engine startup even though they were advertised error free. Actually, the message disappears a few seconds later but it is very annoying everytime.
In a way, I would like to know these led bulbs from High Performance Bulbs have similar issue or not.
Your advice will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by sm595; 10-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: clarify...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm595 View Post
Hello, therealm3.
I was looking for led turn signal bulbs but the led bulbs I got from some manufacture unfortunately generated a short error message and warning sound at every engine startup even though they were advertised error free. Actually, the message disappears a few seconds later but it is very annoying everytime.
In a way, I would like to know these led bulbs from High Performance Bulbs have similar issue or not.
Your advice will be very appreciated. Thank you.
No, the HPB bulbs did not generate any errors, but I ended up replacing them. the color on the rear was more of a slight pink than hard red and it bugged me once I saw it from behind at night in traffic. Plus I put some Weisslight bulbs in my F30 that looked great so I ordered a set of those for the X5. they are a little brighter than the HPB bulbs, the color is more true, and also have no errors. I am very happy now.

Some folks on the F30 board have used these as well with success but you would have to know exactly what bulb bases to order as they don't seem to officially do an exterior E70 kit.

http://deautokey.com/product/bmw-f2x...e-turn-signals
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

yeah deAutoLED has some good stuff:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
I still plan to post a new thread of my experiences but my weekend filled up Anyway, I've posted a video I made comparing the front turn signal LEDs I've tested.

The last part of the video shows the headlights on with the side amber (turns) also illuminated. The flicker / flashing you see is due to the video only, it doesn't look like that IRL!

Don't criticize my video editing skillz please!
But I'm not sure about your bulb, you need something different vs being compared, I'd contact and find out before purchasing.
Appreciate 0