XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Dreaded Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

So at 25009 miles started my car up this morning and all fine with normal cold start at 1500 rpms then the drop to 800 backed it out of the garage and got out to clean the windshield within 5 seconds the car started shaking and sputtering violently, got in the car and had a check control message stating engine malfunction and reduced power. Turned the car off and let it sit for a minute. Restarted fine drove it around the block, Check engine was still on but seemed driveable but little power but it was smooth. Pulled back up in front of the house and put it in park. engine started immediatly sputtering again and car began viloently shaking. Placed in drive and would not smoothly drive forward. Turned car off and called BMW assist. Car was flatbedded to dealer as undrivable.

So seen many posts over the years with this problem and did a search but anyone with experience so I know how to respond to the dealer would be appreciated. Was anyones expereinces similar on an X5M and what was the cause and remedy?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
DDP2011X5M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz
So at 25009 miles started my car up this morning and all fine with normal cold start at 1500 rpms then the drop to 800 backed it out of the garage and got out to clean the windshield within 5 seconds the car started shaking and sputtering violently, got in the car and had a check control message stating engine malfunction and reduced power. Turned the car off and let it sit for a minute. Restarted fine drove it around the block, Check engine was still on but seemed driveable but little power but it was smooth. Pulled back up in front of the house and put it in park. engine started immediatly sputtering again and car began viloently shaking. Placed in drive and would not smoothly drive forward. Turned car off and called BMW assist. Car was flatbedded to dealer as undrivable.

So seen many posts over the years with this problem and did a search but anyone with experience so I know how to respond to the dealer would be appreciated. Was anyones expereinces similar on an X5M and what was the cause and remedy?
What year is ur x5m?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

2010. Just got the call from the dealer. What they called the breather hose for the Turbo or one of the turbos split and broke. This also was the explanantion for the burning metallic antifreeze type smell I have been smelling. Though sounds as though it wasnt antifreeze. Well see, hope this is the fix. Should have it back on Wednesday as they need to wait for the part.

4th major componenet to fail on this. i love this car but will not own it out of warranty

Active Roll Stabilization Module
Power Steering Pump
Water pump
now Turbo componenet
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
DDP2011X5M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz
2010. Just got the call from the dealer. What they called the breather hose for the Turbo or one of the turbos split and broke. This also was the explanantion for the burning metallic antifreeze type smell I have been smelling. Though sounds as though it wasnt antifreeze. Well see, hope this is the fix. Should have it back on Wednesday as they need to wait for the part.

4th major componenet to fail on this. i love this car but will not own it out of warranty

Power Steering Pump
Water pump
now Turbo componenet
Wow. Not good. Hope I don't have the same issued w/my 2011.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
The pressurized hose failure on turbo charged cars is quit common, one of the most common failure area on 911 turbos. I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I am curious of the burning smell.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

went to dealer for plastic burning smell, but they said couldn't smell it..,
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I had something that I described for months as burning coolant smell. After this occured they stated this was the cause when the hose broke and the smell was oil vapor.... Sounds made up but we'll see if the smell is gone when i get it back.

They are doing the water pump recall as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

SO got the car back after replacing both breather hoses for the turbo. So far so good. Car seems the same but feels slightly quicker at full throttle in M mode in second and third. Might be me becaasue i was in a 328 for a week but well see if it holds. Burning smell has not reaappeared yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Surfrider
Polar Bear Power > HP
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 50i M-Sport

Glad the got you sorted out. Fingers crossed it's the end of your issues!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Burning smell is back as of this monring. Car is still performing well. It goes in on Thursday for an annual oil change so I will address it then.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 04:11 AM   #11
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post

Power Steering Pump
Water pump
now Turbo componenet
You have the receipt documenting what this hose was? I've got all new injectors but I still get a random warning that goes away with cycling the car on/off.
Appreciate 0