XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-21-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

New Engine Install

Hey all, I had a new N63 engine installed by a local trusted indy,

I also went to index 12, Pure Turbo Stage 2 turbos, 2 step colder plugs, New HPFP's & DP's. boost gauges, oil pressure gauge.

Got it back and it ran like shit, would go into reduced engine mode right away. I spent 3 weeks looking at all the DME wiring, all the injector connections, engine ground straps, etc. I even had the smartest guy, I think, Sophisticated Redneck helping.

I had ISTA run and was throwing all kinds of communication codes, LIN bus, Etc. You name it was throwing it.

As it turns out these cars need at least 14 volts at the battery. Ok I got a new battery. Still ran like shit.

Towed back to indy shop.

Well as it turns out the indy shop forgot to swap out the Cam followers. Ripped all apart installed brand new ones and wholla, runs like a champ..

Now I just need to get to 1300 miles break in on the new engine and install JB4, meth injection, and tune this bitch. I can't wait.

Just a heads up on engine swaps...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post
Hey all, I had a new N63 engine installed by a local trusted indy,

I also went to index 12, Pure Turbo Stage 2 turbos, 2 step colder plugs, New HPFP's & DP's. boost gauges, oil pressure gauge.

Got it back and it ran like shit, would go into reduced engine mode right away. I spent 3 weeks looking at all the DME wiring, all the injector connections, engine ground straps, etc. I even had the smartest guy, I think, Sophisticated Redneck helping.

I had ISTA run and was throwing all kinds of communication codes, LIN bus, Etc. You name it was throwing it.

As it turns out these cars need at least 14 volts at the battery. Ok I got a new battery. Still ran like shit.

Towed back to indy shop.

Well as it turns out the indy shop forgot to swap out the Cam followers. Ripped all apart installed brand new ones and wholla, runs like a champ..

Now I just need to get to 1300 miles break in on the new engine and install JB4, meth injection, and tune this bitch. I can't wait.

Just a heads up on engine swaps...
what did you pay for the Stg 2 turbos?
we're all still unsure if they produce more, Sophisticated Redneck can explain but i do get they make the wheels bigger, more air, but still have yet to see anyone make more than the Alpina turbos.. Would love to know more or see..

Did you put a catch can on the N63? if not, should be first investment, Troy is making some for us all, along with putting a CPG intake (best one out there), for the N63, not the S63
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

I guess I'm not sure why the pure turbos, I did put turbo smarts on them. yes I have catch cans. I hope to get a et of the new holders from Troy also.

I am getting a high idle after stopping she goes up to about 1400. hooking up ISTA this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, I should be getting the intakes also, Soon hopefully!
Appreciate 0