XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-07-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
gorylewis
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

BMW E70 Big Brake Upgrade Help!

Hi Everyone,

I spent the last couple of nights upgrading the brakes to X5M brakes, on night one I did the front brakes no issues. We did the two person brake bleeding and no issues.

On the following night we did the rear brakes. Passenger rear goes fine, bleeding that brake went successfully. We moved onto the drivers side rear and that where all the trouble began.

There is zero fluid in the hard line which the new brake line would connect to. Nothing in the bleed screw obviously and I went one past the first hard line and disconnected it and still nothing.

I have tried to use a laptop to avtivate the ABS pump several times which hasn't done me any good. It appears that I have fluid at the ABS pump on the middle two hard lines which I believe go to the rear of the vehicle.

Looking for suggestions on where to look next to fix the issue? Plugged hard line at some point? Blockage on that particular line?

We can assume that this brake wasn't working prior to the brake removal since the hard line is empty as well. So it's not due to the new brakes. With the brake line disconnected and activating the abs pump through the laptop nothing comes out.

Cheers

Sincerely,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorylewis View Post
Hi Everyone,

I spent the last couple of nights upgrading the brakes to X5M brakes, on night one I did the front brakes no issues. We did the two person brake bleeding and no issues.

On the following night we did the rear brakes. Passenger rear goes fine, bleeding that brake went successfully. We moved onto the drivers side rear and that where all the trouble began.

There is zero fluid in the hard line which the new brake line would connect to. Nothing in the bleed screw obviously and I went one past the first hard line and disconnected it and still nothing.

I have tried to use a laptop to avtivate the ABS pump several times which hasn't done me any good. It appears that I have fluid at the ABS pump on the middle two hard lines which I believe go to the rear of the vehicle.

Looking for suggestions on where to look next to fix the issue? Plugged hard line at some point? Blockage on that particular line?

We can assume that this brake wasn't working prior to the brake removal since the hard line is empty as well. So it's not due to the new brakes. With the brake line disconnected and activating the abs pump through the laptop nothing comes out.

Cheers

Sincerely,

Greg
before you change the brakes, you need to activate the parking brake procedure to also expand the brakes all the way out, and let the pump disengage too, then also do the ABS pump too.

Would look up reviews for that procedure with INSTA+ or a mobile app.
Appreciate 0