XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Got CPO'd X5M but no CPO checklist or paperwork. Dealer mistake?

I just got a CPO X5M little less than a month ago and it had an issue with a bad battery. Since I got the truck just a few weeks ago if they did a full CPO inspection to it the battery should have failed then too. Car sat for most of the last 2 years so no way it would have tested under load for the CPO testing even if it was charged. Just could not hold cranking amps. Was weak the day I got the car and a problem until they replaced it.

Got me thinking though. What else didn't get checked? Did some digging and from what I could gather I should have got a statement of Certification and a CPO checklist at delivery. Dealers still have to do this, correct? Or is it optional to present these to you unless you ask for them?

The only indication at all that my car is on the sales invoice they wrote CPO and the expiration date of it. Besides that I'd never know it was a CPO car. It was marketed and advertised as CPO BTW.

I've now requested a copy of the checklist and certification documents. Waiting to hear back. Anything else I should do or any other way to see if BMW NA has record that this was certified and inspected properly? Any other advice?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

I also just purchased a CPO and didn't receive any kind of documentation... Asking the sales guy now...
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

You should be received the CPO checklist, etc.. They gave me EVERYTHING. Even the original build sheet and copy of the window sticker.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
You should have received a CPO list with all the items on the list checked out. Even the windshield must be a BMW windshield or it won't be certified CPO. You should also get a extended warranty with a CPO purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel X5 View Post
You should have received a CPO list with all the items on the list checked out. Even the windshield must be a BMW windshield or it won't be certified CPO. You should also get a extended warranty with a CPO purchase.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer on this. Definitely did NOT receive CPO list. The only indication of extended warranty was the words on my sales contract CPO followed by the expiration date which was about a year after the original mfg warranty expires.

Would a dealer take a chance and market and sell a CPO car that was not truly certified? There is a whole paper trail BMW requires in order to CPO a vehicle and if a dealer doesn't follow protocol I've heard the consequences can get pretty drastic for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Most important thing is to call the dealership, talk to a random person in the service department and ask them to run your VIN. They should be able to flag it as a CPO right off the bat.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Most important thing is to call the dealership, talk to a random person in the service department and ask them to run your VIN. They should be able to flag it as a CPO right off the bat.
If a car is CPO would any dealership have that VIN in their system as CPO? I have a friend at another dealer little further out I could check with him if so. Or is that info only held at the dealer level? I have a hard time getting in touch with a person on the phone at this dealership's service department and they may wonder why I'm asking and tell me what I want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
If a car is CPO would any dealership have that VIN in their system as CPO? I have a friend at another dealer little further out I could check with him if so. Or is that info only held at the dealer level? I have a hard time getting in touch with a person on the phone at this dealership's service department and they may wonder why I'm asking and tell me what I want to hear.
Call BMW NA service let them know your vin# and ask them those questions you have posted, they will be able to address your issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

I took delivery of a CPO 2012 on Thursday and didn't receive anything that said CPO on it. I talked to my sales guy this morning and he said that his dealership does not provide a checklist or any type of documentation but he pulled up my x5 in their database and texted me a pic of what pulls up and it's clearly a CPO so I'm happy!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I took delivery of a CPO 2012 on Thursday and didn't receive anything that said CPO on it. I talked to my sales guy this morning and he said that his dealership does not provide a checklist or any type of documentation but he pulled up my x5 in their database and texted me a pic of what pulls up and it's clearly a CPO so I'm happy!
Well that is good news. It seems that across dealers the procedure for delivery of a CPO is not consistent. Each dealer spends $$$ to CPO a vehicle. I would think they would want to push that value add and provide as much documentation for buyers as they can. Not sure why yours or mine didn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
Absolutely. I bought my X5 at an Audi dealership in Houston. I called BMW of Austin and had them run the VIN. They told me the vehicle was CPO. Nice 'n easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Absolutely. I bought my X5 at an Audi dealership in Houston. I called BMW of Austin and had them run the VIN. They told me the vehicle was CPO. Nice 'n easy.
Ok my buddy at another dealership rant he VIN and it is indeed a CPO. That's a relief. My salesman got back to me and said he would send me the CPO inspection checklist on monday.

I'll be curious to see how the battery passed. I guess if they only rely on the OBD to tell them if voltage is low it would pass. It would not have been volts in this case but instead cranking amps which you would only see if you tested the battery under load.

I know if voltage drops enough you get a warning on the display. That won't tell you if the battery has the amps to crank under load.

I have another buddy who knows the lead mechanic at another dealer so I'm going to have him ask exactly how they check battery. If it is just an OBD test then I'll feel better that an actual inspection was not skimped on.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
uvacarbuff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Yas Marina Blue

When I bought my CPO X5M they gave me a folder with the checklist, list of services/charges, and CPO card/booklet. They put a new battery in mine on the day of delivery (would not start )
Appreciate 0