XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Antigua
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X6M

Loss dinamic on 22 rims??

Wassup!!!Do somebody feels loss in dynamics after installation of 22 wheels(forged rims like adv.1 or rennen)?
For me,after installation hartge22(alloy wheels)" i felt loss in dinamic!!
tires-295\30 and 335\25 conticross is felt! Because of the forward part of the car rises, do smb has the same problem on 285 pirelli?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
roentgen72
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

no issues

check your alignment. After I installed my vorsteiners, we did an old school alignment. Even though you technically don't need to this would ensure that any resultant camber change with the 22 installed will be properly taken into account.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
E70x5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5 3.0

How well do these "old school" alignments work ? I upgraded from 18 to 20 and the wheel shop recommended an "old school" alignment. Is this the one with the long algnment rod ? When I got it done, I was worried it was not accurate, the guy that did it only made adjustments to the front and said the rears were fine. Can anyone chime in on this. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
roentgen72
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70x5 View Post
How well do these "old school" alignments work ? I upgraded from 18 to 20 and the wheel shop recommended an "old school" alignment. Is this the one with the long algnment rod ? When I got it done, I was worried it was not accurate, the guy that did it only made adjustments to the front and said the rears were fine. Can anyone chime in on this. . .
Yep, That's the one...long arm and all. You also need an old school guy to do it. Mine was done at a racing shop that does all the porsche's and ferrari's for the local racing teams. Also camber change will affect the front's way more often than they would affect the rears, so your guy was probably right in saying only the front was necessary. All of this would really only be useful if the unsprung weight was going to be significantly increased OR/AND the offsets and rim widths changed. 18 to 20 without a significant change in rim width would likely only need a standard front wheel alignment.

Always go to a reputable mechanic

Last edited by roentgen72; 04-13-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: incomplete
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
E70x5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgen72 View Post
Yep, That's the one...long arm and all. You also need an old school guy to do it. Mine was done at a racing shop that does all the porsche's and ferrari's for the local racing teams. Also camber change will affect the front's way more often than they would affect the rears, so your guy was probably right in saying only the front was necessary. All of this would really only be useful if the unsprung weight was going to be significantly increased OR/AND the offsets and rim widths changed. 18 to 20 without a significant change in rim width would likely only need a standard front wheel alignment.

Always go to a reputable mechanic

Thanks for the info. Roentgen . . . Antigua sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Alignment each time?

Hey guys, so does this mean that when I pull off my 19" winters and put on my 20" summers, I need to get an alignment?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
Only if your alignment isn't correct now. Changing wheel/tyres on a road car doesn't change the geometry of the suspension, but wider lower profile tyres (oem sizes usually maintain the same rolling radius diameter for speedo accuracy/rules) may highlight problems with geo that you weren't aware of on more "tolerant" hi profile tyres.
Race/ track cars may find benefit in different geo for different tyres as grip/feel/endurance need to be optimised for conditions .
Appreciate 0