XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
X6Amy
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Locking boot

Hi Guys,

Just went to get some items out of the back of my X6 (parked in my garage) and I slipped and fell on my keys. This hit the button on the fob to open the boot which scraped all up the wall of the garage.

I can only assume the whole edge of the boot is chipped and scraped as the garage is brick, didn't have the heart to look at it. Does anyone know how I can lock this feature, I was paranoid this was going to happen when I brought the car!
      04-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

x6amy

sounds tragic. tragedy strikes, and it's awful. but they're just battlescars. shows your car's been loved. And remember that after the fact, you still get to drive one of the coolest cars EVER.

Some Possible Solutions: I know your key can be programmed to alter many functions like opening and closing windows, folding mirrors, etc... I hope someone at the dealership could help you program the key to disable the auto-opening feature.
I've also read that the hatch's opening height can be limited through the iDrive system menu. That may limit the damage that can be done if it swings open by itself.

There's a lot to be said for pampered cars, but cars that have been loved tough (not recklessly or disrespectfully), cars that have been used and enjoyed and loved to pieces are the ones that linger in the heart - my first acura integra - we fit nine people driving out to the beach to watch the sunrise on the morning after H.S. graduation. Seats cushions creased, torque converter turning to smoked tofu, engine overheating - this was my car's labor of love for me...
call me weird, but the scars on our cars make them ours. This doesn't count for random door dings from jerks at the mall, but other imperfections make the car yours. You see a damage, then you live and learn (to NEVER never NEVER do that again).

hope the damage wasn't too bad.
I'd see your service advisor to see about reprogramming or even deactivating the button altogether.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Not on my current car, but on my e53, I've brought the garage door down on my open hatch and once so close to my rear bumper that the door hinge made a double gouge in the bumper.

No software fixes for THAT kind of stupidity -- except my brain. I go check the back frequently if it seems that I'm not quite far enough in. The hatch? That hurts my soul.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

"..the hatch's opening height can be limited through the iDrive system menu"

This is true, have mine set for about half way up ( three green bars) so when I back into garage (only do this once in a while but one slip is worth setting) I can lift and not hit the shelf above.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
X6Amy
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Yeh thanks, I limited the opening height to the minimum when we brought it just incase I knocked the botton with my bag at the front (unlikely). I however never thought about hitting the key fob. Very annoying! I had a quick look around the back last night, looks like a bit of brick dust but nothing else, will have to inspect at the weekend!