XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Just checking in

Hey guys!

I finally got my ML550 a while back so I thought I'd check in and see whassup with the X6 crowd. Checking the threads I see a lot of same old same old -- love the car, hate the rear-view camera, etc.

FYI, here are my impressions of the Mercedes.

Very soft and comfortable ride (air suspension) with adequate but not great roadholding in sport mode. The steering is lighter than I would prefer. Running boards are even less practical than on the X6; it is almost impossible not to get your pant leg dirty when getting out of the vehicle. I have had a couple of very minor issues: one of the headlight washers sometimes sticks open, the HomeLink loses its memory occasionally, etc. But other than that I am delighted. Really good seats (heated and cooled and adjustable every which way), excellent Harmon Kardon Logic-7 sound system with speakers everywhere you look (it plays MP3/WMAs from DVDs, USB sticks, SD cards, iPod, you name it), you can watch DVD movies when stationary (and you can buy an in-motion converter if you are so inclined), and I don't mind COMAND (Mercedes' version of iDrive) at all -- it is reasonably logical, has very nice graphics, and accepts addresses very quickly as it is hard-drive based. My phone paired with no problems and the phone book downloaded even though the phone is not officially approved, so I can't complain there. Sweet V8 engine, powerful and smooth, but heavy on gas. The truck has all the gizmos: 21-inch AMG wheels, AMG body kit, leather dash, swivelling bi-xenon headlights, etc. You have to get used to brake feel as it is brake-by-wire; it takes some practice to come to a smooth stop. The gearshift on the steering column like the previous generation 750i also took getting used to, but now it is second nature, and it sure leaves a lot of space between the seats. The paddle gear shifters work well, and the seven-speed gearbox is smooth. The rear view camera is fine, but at this time of year with so much crap on the roads it is usually too dirty to be of much use. The power hatch is nice, and unlike on the X6 it can be closed remotely. For some reason, the vehicle has a 1970s style foot operated emergency brake -- strange. I don't miss HUD as much as I thought I would because most things I would want to see on it (digital speed, NAV directions, etc.) can be displayed on the ML's multi-function display right in front of the driver, so you only have to glance down a tad.

Time will tell whether Mercedes have evercome their quality problems, but in the meantime I am very happy with my purchase. Obviously not as much fun as an X6, but more practical, more comfortable, and priced between the 35i and the 50i.

[For any newcomers to this board, the reason I am posting is that I was a long-time member of the forum almost from day 1 and I had an X6 50i on order until I changed my mind and went over to the dark side. I'm just checking back in and updating some of the original members.]

This pic was taken to show my after-market 20-inch OZ wheels with snow tires, and I just drove through a mess of slush, but it's all I have at this point:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

cool ride
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

SD,
since I said "went over to the dark side" you know I have to say " come into the light"

Nice ride .
Funny about the running boards, I'm still trying to figure out a way to remove mine, one thing my wife hates. As far as issues sounds about the same as X6, which I guess is par these days. Things are about the same around here but more new X6 owners ( and unfortunately having the same problems as as rest of us had).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Nice too see you again SD!

Nice looking ride!

Thanks for the quick and concise writeup on your ML550. I had seriously considered the ML63 AMG since BMW couldn't deliver the X6 50i before December of last year and they just couldn't get their act straight with the new iDrive in the X6. BMW then sent me an invitation to the 750 unveiling at the end of January beginning of February, and having had the chance to look at the S550 AMG, A8L and 750 at the Canadian International Auto show, I made appointments with Audi, MB and BMW and test drove all 3 cars. Well I changed my order to a new 750 and now I'm waiting for it to be built.

I remember when you ordered your ML550, when did you finally take delivery of your new ride?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

One's built in Alabama, one's built in SouthCarolina, so should their quality be that different?
One feature that keeps surfacing is the motorized closing of the back hatch, available in the ML & others but not the BMWs.
WAKE UP BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
One's built in Alabama, one's built in SouthCarolina, so should their quality be that different?
One feature that keeps surfacing is the motorized closing of the back hatch, available in the ML & others but not the BMWs.
WAKE UP BMW!
They both have the 'motorized closing of the back hatch'. Even the X6 has that feature. I think what you meant and what people are complaining about is that the North American X6 models do not allow the closing function to be controlled via the fob!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

SD i am so happy that you posted your new car pic...ML looks amazing! congrats and i hope you will post some more pics with 21 inches wheels....enjoy your ride!
Appreciate 0