XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Automatic high beams

I have a question about the automatic high beams on the X5. My car has the technology package (2012).

When I select (check box) the auto high beams within the iDrive settings menu, the high beams don't turn on automatically (like when there's no cars in front or approaching headlights). The only way to make them work is to push the high beam stalk (left of steering wheel) forward once. Then an icon shows in the dash computer with an "A" and headlight - and they work as expected.

Is this the only way to turn the auto high beams on? If so, It's annoying that this feature has to be activated each time the X5 is started.
      12-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

That is the way the high beams work. Was this way on my M3 as well. It gives you the flexibility of turning off the high beams if you do not want them to come on for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35i Sports Activity

This is similar to how the rain sensing wipers work - you have to activate that each time you start the car too.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devimik View Post
This is similar to how the rain sensing wipers work - you have to activate that each time you start the car too.
Yep, the Benz I had was actually "automatic" but BMW in ...their infinite wisdom... have "decided" that the user NEEDS to tell the car that we actually want the automatic function to be active rather than to have the car actually "automatically" turn them on when needed..you know, like Mercedes engineers apparently had no problem doing...my solitary gripe on these BMWs though so I guess I can live with it
Appreciate 0