XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

Selling car out of state questions

I listed my wife's car on cragslist and someone from North Carolina has been texting me about buying the car. I live in So. Florida. The guy wants to buy the car sight unseen and wants to send down a transport to pick the car up. The car in questions is 2005 Beetle Convertible in immaculate condition with only 22,500 original miles (i am the first and only owner). The price is 7K.
The price is not low by any means for the age of the car but the condition its in justifies it when you SEE the car.
It's a little perplexing to me that someone would buy a car with looking at it.
Is there any reason NOT to sell the car? (ie. ways that i van get scammed)
I assume the payment will be in cashiers check.
Also, if the buyer wont be here for pick up how can he sign the title so that I don't have to be liable for anything that can happen once it leaves my place?
Should I not go ahead with this?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

No, it's a scam.

"Below are the top three Craigslist scams.

The buyer or seller doesn’t live near you.
The buyer or seller wants to pay by cashier’s check, US Postal Service money order, Western Union, or escrow service (BidPay, Squaretrade, etc.).
The buyer or seller won’t agree to meet with you in person.
If you happen to see something on Craigslist that looks scammy, you should send an email to “abuse@craigslist.org” and give them as much detail as you can about the listing. Make sure you include URL (or 8 digit post ID number) in your email. If you’re selling something and you think a con artist has expressed interest, forward it to “abuse@craigslist.org”

http://www.fraudguides.com/internet/craigslist/

Last edited by Violator; 10-24-2016 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cattivo680.50
      10-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Totally a scam. Always deal in person.
Appreciate 1
Cattivo680.50
      10-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Craigslist is known for this. Usually buyer says he will use Paypal, gets the vehicle, says there is something wrong with it, Paypal always backs the buyer. Seller is out the car and the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Ask for the cash upfront. ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:25 AM   #6
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Wire transfer ! they cant get the money back. If he doesn't agree its definitely scam. On other hand I wont pay with wire transfer... cuz its scam also . So best is cash in hand!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

I've dealt with online transactions long enough to know not to use Paypal selling on Cragistlist. I will be using the usual precaution (accepting cashier's check and verifying with the issuing bank before signing, getting a copy of the buyer's license, etc.) but I wasn't sure if there are any unknown loopholes that can be used to scam.

FYI, wire transfers CAN BE taken back by the bank if the payer claims it's fraudulent (wire sent online be someone other than the owner).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Would do a background check on the guy as well.
When I picked up my car there was 2 other buyers who sent over a transport vehicle and paid everything without seeing the car so yea it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

for an 05 bug, yeah its a scam. They will send you a check, you deposit/cash it and eventually everyone figures out its a bogus check and you have either sent the item already, or you have returned back the "overpayment" they always send on "accident"

if it was a collectors vehicle or rare vehicle, this would make more sense for him to send a transport. Im sure there are plenty of 05 bugs around him.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #10
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I recently sold a car through craiglist to a guy who hasn't seen it in person.
He made a direct bank deposit to my bank account and sent a transporter to pick it up. No problems. It was an 03 330CI.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Nope nope and nope. another buyer will come along.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolhozbrothers View Post
I recently sold a car through craiglist to a guy who hasn't seen it in person.
He made a direct bank deposit to my bank account and sent a transporter to pick it up. No problems. It was an 03 330CI.
So obviously it is possible it isn't a scam.

There has to be a way to receive payment on the car without the person buying it having a way to get the money back (without a lawsuit which really doesn't fit the "scam" system). They send you a regular check and you hold it until it clears, how do they get this money back?

I sold a 9 year old GTI to a guy and his son who flew from Saskatchewan to Cincinnati and drove the car 26 hours back. They were probably in it for close to $1500 (2 one way flights, 2 nights in hotel, food, 1700 miles) in travel costs and it took them 3 days total. Didn't make sense to me on a $6k car but everything was legitimate. They even sent the payment before they flew down.
      11-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

There has to be a way to receive payment on the car without the person buying it having a way to get the money back (without a lawsuit which really doesn't fit the "scam" system). They send you a regular check and you hold it until it clears, how do they get this money back?

I sold a 9 year old GTI to a guy and his son who flew from Saskatchewan to Cincinnati and drove the car 26 hours back. They were probably in it for close to $1500 (2 one way flights, 2 nights in hotel, food, 1700 miles) in travel costs and it took them 3 days total. Didn't make sense to me on a $6k car but everything was legitimate. They even sent the payment before they flew down.

Yeah, but why don't you log onto BMW Canada and compare the prices on EXACTLY the same fricking model to BMW US. And it isn't just the exchange that explains the difference. Then you'll know why it was partly worth it to them, plus, they probably looked at it as a road trip opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Sell it local. You're in convertible country, surely someone will want to buy it considering the low miles and price.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

He made a direct CASH deposit. I told him no checks. It wasn't a lot of money but still, I assured him that I won't run away with his money, money is not everything.
I personally would NEVER buy a car without seeing it.
I am not suggesting anyone doing the same, all I am saying is not everyone wants to scam you, chillax.
I've had another buyer who wired me $10k from Lebanon without seeing the car in person, only photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I bought my one year old ATS without seeing it in person (it was in Phoenix, I am in Cincinnati). CPO and a coworker/friend that lived there went to see it. He looked at it, I wired the money to the dealer, they put it on a truck. The dealer didn't have any problem with this type of transaction. Car showed up a week later and I met it him at a local shopping center and drove the car home.

Still not following why there isn't a way to get money from someone and then sell them a car and I can't imagine being the buyer, ready to send the money and arrange transport and the seller telling me that he won't take my money.

Last edited by David70; 11-09-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

scam alert
      11-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't you have to give them your account info to have them wire direct - never give that out.

Also lots of weird details on seller-liability, like if emissions or airbags aren't working you may have to pay to repair. Buddy of mine learned the hard way to put 'modified, not legal for street use' on everything, after a really expensive tutorial in this.

We have a free legal consult through our EAP - if you have one (or a few $ for a consult) that might be worth the time to be sure you are covering your bases on this and putting everything into the written contract that you need (and nothing that will unexpectedly bite you); then tell him to bring cash, and you bring the notary (and a counterfeit-checking pen).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Don't you have to give them your account info to have them wire direct - never give that out.

Also lots of weird details on seller-liability, like if emissions or airbags aren't working you may have to pay to repair. Buddy of mine learned the hard way to put 'modified, not legal for street use' on everything, after a really expensive tutorial in this.

We have a free legal consult through our EAP - if you have one (or a few $ for a consult) that might be worth the time to be sure you are covering your bases on this and putting everything into the written contract that you need (and nothing that will unexpectedly bite you); then tell him to bring cash, and you bring the notary (and a counterfeit-checking pen).
Your account information is on every check you have ever written.

I have never heard of someone that sold a used car only to be responsible for repairs later if it was sold "As Is - No Warranty" like most cars have listed on the car when you go to a lot.
      11-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #20
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
TOTAL SCAM. Avoid.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #21
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

I would say in this instance it is a scam, especially if all contact has been through text.

BUT for future reference, you can always open a new bank account just for the wire transfer between banks. Then when the money arrives pull it out and close the account. This is what my bank advised me to do when I sold my car to a person out of state. Also create a bill of sale for the agreed upon price and have them notarize a copy and send it back. Verify the contact information on the wire transfer and then ship the car. Send the title through certified mail with a tracking number. This process make them have faith in you, not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #22
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm buying a 335 this week sight unseen, I also sold my 335 in my sig below a month ago site unseen. The people telling you its a scam without more information are morons.
DieselOG1673.50