XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

All dads/moms

Baby checklist. What is necessary what is excess? What have you bought and brands do you recommend?

Boring topic but worth the ask!
      07-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Money/NANNY/diapers...wet wipe wall....Costco membership wouldn't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

My boys are now 8 & 10.

So many normal things like wipes, kleenex, q-tips, etc but also have a quality head or ear thermometer, and the little suction thingy for their little noses.

When is the baby due?
      07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It really depends on your kid. Some people love the Momaroo (4 Moms fancy swing thing) but our daughter hated it.

The best infant carrier in still the Chicco (pronounced Keyco - which everyone butchers) KeyFit 30.

As far as convertible seats - we have two Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 5/70 which we are extremely happy with. The kids love them and they are super high quality. We got the Licorice color (black leather with white stitching) which matches the interior of our Jeep GC perfectly and is easy to clean. They run about $400 but they use them for many years and it's only about $150 more than most other nice seats. Made in Italy, not China like everything else out there.

I also have a Recaro Performance Ride convertible in my car which I would not recommend. It's cool because it says Recaro on it but it doesn't look as comfortable as the Peg and the center buckle pad is constantly falling off. The one feature it has that I think others should replicate is the fixed shoulder pads. They never twist or shift. Brilliant idea.

Strollers: We have an Uppababy Vista which my wife and I both think (in hindsight) was a waste of money. It's about $800 but is really big and clunky and you still have to purchase an army of adapters and attachments if your other equipment is not also Uppababy.

Our everyday stroller is a Baby Jogger City Mini which is really awesome. It's not as light as an umbrella but it's more solid in every way and it folds in half (I still get a kick out of it). It retails for ~250 but you can find them for $150-175 on some sites (pishposh, etc). I sometimes with we got the GT version because it has inflated tires that can handle more terrain but if you want to bring it on a plane, the inflatable tires may be an issue. We should have used this stroller from day one because you can get the same infant carrier adapters and the footprint is MUCH smaller than the Uppababy.

I could go on all day...

I'm sure people will chime in and say that I'm 100% wrong on some stuff but I am speaking only from our experience.

Oh, and Amazon Prime Subscriptions are your best friend for diapers. You'll figure out quickly how many you'll go through in a month and it's nice just having them show up. We get wipes from Costco but they only carry Huggies diapers and we use Pampers (wife and I both agree that Huggies blow lol).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 07-25-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
MPE to cover the noise.
Weathertek floor mats for the mess.
A nice scented air freshener (trust me).
Wipes and microfiber cloths.
And tint (so not everyone can see you got a kid in there).

Wait... were we not talking about cars???

Also...
      07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Baby checklist. What is necessary what is excess? What have you bought and brands do you recommend?

Boring topic but worth the ask!
Does this mean you will have to get rid of the race car?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Diaper genie (seriously - great) - get one with the foot pedal that opens the jaws. We don't have one and it's pretty gross shoving a poopy diaper through the jaws even if I've managed to get it down to a science so nothing gets on me.

Sleep sacks are pretty good as they get past the 2-3 month mark. That way no swaddling / blankets and you know they are warm enough but can't suffocate.

Get a high chair that doesn't have fabric. Should be just plastic and washable molded foam. Get a plastic drop sheet thing for the high chair to sit on to catch all the food the high chair doesn't catch.

Get a decent diaper bag with compartments.

Go with Pampers over Huggies.

Get a stroller with the larger (ie. off road looking) wheels if you will or plan to ever walk on a trail or gravel. You will thank me later. Yes, it might look a little odd in a shopping mall (not really, you won't care because your focus will be on other things), but the larger wheels offer less rolling resistance I think and it's just easy to push.

So much other stuff too, but you'll figure it out. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

ha! congrats bro...

I have a 10 month old now... a few must haves, some for now some for later:

1. compact dining chair for restaurants. This, you'll thank me later.
https://philandteds.com/us/Products/Feed/Lobster

2. If your wife plans on breastfeeding, you'll want this to keep your sanity
https://www.armsreach.com/

3. Baby carrier...any type really, there are times, you just need to do shit and your kid wants to be carried
http://www.babybjorn.com/?market=us

4. This is debatable as to "futureproofing", but there's no such thing as being future proofed with a kid. But at least up to 1 year old, go with a carseat/base/cart all-in-one. It'll just make it much easier until the kid's like 25 lbs or so.
http://www.chiccoshop.com/gear/strol...062950070.html

So get the cart, the base and the seat...(multiple bases if you'll be using both cars).

5. if your wife plans on breastfeeding, a breastfeeding pillow

6. Some type of infant pillow. This will help hold your infant (up to about 4 months) so you can do shit around the house.

A few things you should NOT buy yet:

1. A full baby crib. You can wait until about 10-11 months, b/c your infant will need soothing every 2 hours, you don't want to drag your own ass out of bed to pick him/her up out of a separate crib.

2. 4moms rockaroo swing (not every kid likes this...a colossal waste of money if your kids hates it like mine)

3. pack-n-plays (you have so much time to buy this later on, plus even at 10 months, my kid hates being boxed in)
      07-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

oh yeah, you'll also need an urban assault vehicle...

07-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Money/NANNY/diapers...wet wipe wall....Costco membership wouldn't hurt.
Yeah I've over-researched that in the past, Costco has the lowest prices on earth, when on sale. This is for Huggies--if you need Pampers, all bets are off.

Also, I did a lot of research and got the Chicco NextFit Zip. We've never used the Zip feature, admittedly. But I just waited for a good deal at albee baby--delivered overnight, no tax, free shipping, and cheaper than if you went to BAbies R Us and got 20% off.

Prior to that we used a Britax that came with the stroller--that base really ruins the car seat, so I couldn't wait to do forward facing.

We never did formula thanks to you know what, didn't do baby food for that long, not sure what else to say

Oh yeah for the ice skates, they were only $24.99 new, so we went with the new Bauers, my wife made me get size 8-9 but I think my son's really only a 7 DOH!! It's not for everybody but for me I think a kid should be skating around the same time they start walking. It's so da** easy for kids, give them skills that will last a lifetime. Haven't done skiing yet. My boy is 31 mos. now.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
It really depends on your kid. Some people love the Momaroo (4 Moms fancy swing thing) but our daughter hated it.

The best infant carrier in still the Chicco (pronounced Keyco - which everyone butchers) KeyFit 30.

As far as convertible seats - we have two Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 5/70 which we are extremely happy with. The kids love them and they are super high quality. We got the Licorice color (black leather with white stitching) which matches the interior of our Jeep GC perfectly and is easy to clean. They run about $400 but they use them for many years and it's only about $150 more than most other nice seats. Made in Italy, not China like everything else out there.

I also have a Recaro Performance Ride convertible in my car which I would not recommend. It's cool because it says Recaro on it but it doesn't look as comfortable as the Peg and the center buckle pad is constantly falling off. The one feature it has that I think others should replicate is the fixed shoulder pads. They never twist or shift. Brilliant idea.

Strollers: We have an Uppababy Vista which my wife and I both think (in hindsight) was a waste of money. It's about $800 but is really big and clunky and you still have to purchase an army of adapters and attachments if your other equipment is not also Uppababy.

Our everyday stroller is a Baby Jogger City Mini which is really awesome. It's not as light as an umbrella but it's more solid in every way and it folds in half (I still get a kick out of it). It retails for ~250 but you can find them for $150-175 on some sites (pishposh, etc). I sometimes with we got the GT version because it has inflated tires that can handle more terrain but if you want to bring it on a plane, the inflatable tires may be an issue. We should have used this stroller from day one because you can get the same infant carrier adapters and the footprint is MUCH smaller than the Uppababy.

I could go on all day...

I'm sure people will chime in and say that I'm 100% wrong on some stuff but I am speaking only from our experience.

Oh, and Amazon Prime Subscriptions are your best friend for diapers. You'll figure out quickly how many you'll go through in a month and it's nice just having them show up. We get wipes from Costco but they only carry Huggies diapers and we use Pampers (wife and I both agree that Huggies blow lol).
OP- read this thread carefully...he and I are on the exact page.

We have exactly the same shit...except we have the Uppababy Cruz...b/c we no ballers like you. And I haven't bought my convertible seat yet, but I'm leaning towards peg perego.

I also have the Baby Jogger Mini...still haven't used it yet, trying to convince my wife that's the one to use daily...I hate piecing that Uppababy together every single freaking time out of the trunk of the car.

I also notice Baby Jogger sells adapters to fit your Chicco attachments onto it. In hindsight, we should not have bought the Uppababy.

I have to say, it all depends on the life style...if you're urban, people swear by the Baby Jogger b/c of it's one pull setup. If you're rolling around in an urban assault vehicle like myself, UppaBaby/Chicco will work if you can be bothered to manage the pieces. Others say that if you are urban and won't need to go into cars often, then get a Uppababy. So the question is, can you be bothered to assemble a 2-piece every time?

Nevertheless, you'll still want the infant/base/cart combo I mentioned before regardless. Be prepared to have like at least 3 strollers.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-25-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Go with Pampers over Huggies.
I would agree that Pampers are the best there are, but imho Huggies on sale from Costco are a better value. They were as cheap as 14 cents each in the small sizes, pretty sure pampers is double. For me, yeah, some stuff it's nice to have "the best," it's your kid, why wouldn't you get it for them? But it gets old pretty fast (again my calc is if you want to be the most aggressive you'll need to put away $1,600/mo. from the hospital ride home, through age 22, to provide for college for a baby born in 2013--it's now 2016 so the number is even higher--anything spent takes away from that).

We used Pampers for swim diapers as they were all that Walmart had. And it's amazing how Walmart spanks Bezos on these items, you'd think it'd be the other way around....

The truth about diapers is the fit, i.e. leakage, nobody sees the brand name on a baby. If you can get good results with < Pampers/Huggies you'll really be saving some $$$$.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I would agree that Pampers are the best there are, but imho Huggies on sale from Costco are a better value. They were as cheap as 14 cents each in the small sizes, pretty sure pampers is double. For me, yeah, some stuff it's nice to have "the best," it's your kid, why wouldn't you get it for them? But it gets old pretty fast (again my calc is if you want to be the most aggressive you'll need to put away $1,600/mo. from the hospital ride home, through age 22, to provide for college for a baby born in 2013--it's now 2016 so the number is even higher--anything spent takes away from that).

We used Pampers for swim diapers as they were all that Walmart had. And it's amazing how Walmart spanks Bezos on these items, you'd think it'd be the other way around....

The truth about diapers is the fit, i.e. leakage, nobody sees the brand name on a baby. If you can get good results with < Pampers/Huggies you'll really be saving some $$$$.
We've had good results from Costco brand...not joking...great fit and quality.

We supplement it with cloth diapers (yes we that crazy)
      07-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

A lot of good points....

For car seats, make sure that the upholstery is REMOVABLE and washable. It's not a matter of if your kid barfs or gets some other bodily material all over it, but when.

Diapers....go with what fits, cross referenced with what's cheapest. For us, the Target brand diapers are great (we have a 21 month old boy) during the day. At night, we use pampers night time's because he's in that for ~12 hours.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quality food containers. I'd go with Glass for formula/milk bottles even. Unless it's going straight from the source 100% of the time. Remember "BPA free" mostly means they are using BPA (version 2.0) and it's just as bad or worse in many cases. When you get to sippy cups they try to eat them. It always seems odd to buy organic, non-gmo, free ranged, blah blah, food, but then let the kids eat plastics from 3rd world countries. That's a ways out though.

I'd get some type of rear seating area covers to go down under the kids seats that keep everything out of the cracks in the seats. Or just wrap the rear seats in a tarp Not that you're going to let junior eat in the car or anything
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
We had both of ours in their own room and crib on day 1. It wasn't planned that way but we found that EVERYONE sleeps better when the kid is out of your room. Every little noise is going to wake you up or keep your wife up. For the sanity of everyone involved, it's the better bet. For that reason, we didn't use a bassinet.

Pack-n-play - We actually used ours a ton, even from the start. When you're running around the house, it's hard to keep an eye on the kid all the time so we kept them in the high setting until they were sitting up and then we just lowered it. It's also very handy to bring to a friends house if there's a nap coming up but you want a life. Set that thing up and put in in their bedroom and everyone is happy.

A few mistakes my friends/family have made:

Room-darkening curtains - DO NOT GET THEM - My brother and his wife did this. Their kids now can't sleep a wink unless they're in literally pitch black. They can't go anywhere around nap time because the kids require total darkness. Total pain in the ass.

Loud noise machines - White noise machines are fine but I see people cranking those things up so loud that the kids now can't go to sleep when it's quiet. My brother made this mistake as well... same result as the curtains fiasco.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Shoulda pulled out
Appreciate 6
      07-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
we have the Uppababy Cruz...b/c we no ballers like you.
I remember when I knew nothing and was getting ready, a coworker said hey my wife wants to sell our used stroller/baby seat. So I thought, ok, how much, so I can compare to new and see if it's worth it. I already knew that the car seats have like an 8 yr. life?

He goes, she wants $600. I almost fell out of my chair, wth stroller is this? He tells me it's a Orbit Baby G3....F THAT!!!!!!!

Our former friend (the one that ended thanks to facebook ahahahahahaha) gave us her Baby Jogger, and it is the top of the line one too, huge a** rims, 20" I believe. I see they're being sold on amazon for over $1k, not really sure why, but it's made in USA (clearly says on the tubing), not like what you'd buy today. There is something to, "they don't make 'em like they used to." As this was from around 1998.

p.s. by the way this is the most fun you're going to have in your life, and congrats...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

If I remember correctly (it's been many years) we preferred Huggies over Pampers due to better leak/movement protection. Active babies wiggling and moving around. We tried both. Nowadays I'd probably google and see what moms/reviews say.

Congrats! What a joy and blessing!
      07-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
We had both of ours in their own room and crib on day 1. It wasn't planned that way but we found that EVERYONE sleeps better when the kid is out of your room. Every little noise is going to wake you up or keep your wife up. For the sanity of everyone involved, it's the better bet. For that reason, we didn't use a bassinet.

Pack-n-play - We actually used ours a ton, even from the start. When you're running around the house, it's hard to keep an eye on the kid all the time so we kept them in the high setting until they were sitting up and then we just lowered it. It's also very handy to bring to a friends house if there's a nap coming up but you want a life. Set that thing up and put in in their bedroom and everyone is happy.

hmmm..my wife was hell bent on breastfeeding, so that co-sleeper was the only way to make it work. Around 5 months, we actually started sleeping in separate beds/rooms. Then I was like, this isn't sustainable, then at 6 months or so, we moved kid to another room and our sleep quality has gotten way better. Now kid wakes up around 3 AM, I give her a drink of water, then shut the door and let her cry herself to sleep.

Pack-n-play, we have it, but we live in a small house. I get your point on its portability, but when I tried it the first time, it was a PITA to fold in and out.

We have a trip planned in 2 months, and Pack-n-play will need to come with us as it'll be the crib in the hotel as you had mentioned.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-25-2016 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

Pampers prices on amazon (subscribe and save):
Size 1 - 17c
Size 2 - 20c
Size 3 - 21c (cruisers)
Size 4 - 24c (cruisers)
Size 5 - 28c (cruisers)

I just checked the Costco website and the Huggies are actually more expensive. We did the research and found there to be no real price difference while the difference in quality was noticeable.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
hmmm..my wife was hell bent on breastfeeding,
I'm not a woman (last I checked), but I think breastfeeding is very good for the baby from a standpoint that the baby will be less prone to get sick, and seems like they have a special bond with the baby too....
Appreciate 0