XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
xSPEAR
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Bmw e70 x5 2013 Trunk wont open

Hello, I have e70 x5 2013 and recently I have faced the problem that the trunk wont open when I press on the keyfob or the hatch on the back. It pops out couple of inches and stops there. However, I CANT pull the trunk MANUALLY. It feels like stuck and when i tried observing the top edges of the trunk, the top right looks fine it pulls itself down a bit as its ready to go up but the LEFT side doesnt go down a bit to get ready to open. So it feels stuck, when I manually pull the trunk i can open it upto around 10cm and then reach a point where i cant pull anymore and im afraid to apply extra force and break something. Any suggestions on how can I open the door by hand as there is something blocking it to open even manually pulling it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I have the same exact issue but right side spindle looking seized after replacing HKL module. This happened after i had some water leak and fried HKL module. Made the spindle motor go haywire so I believe the motor on the passenger side fried. So in process of changing that spindle out. As I have the same issue as not opening at all and closing back up I'll see how I go about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
mmitocky
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

My hatch was stuck when I purchased my X5, a similar situation to yours it sounds. The actuator actually froze (like yours), and no amount of reasonable force would pull it open. I ordered a replacement strut to fix the siezed one. Try to pull the door open enough to get access to the strut connection on the hatch side. My ball and socket connection for the strut was stuck too, I had to unbolt the ball mount completely from the hatch frame. Once the frozen strut is disconnected, you should be able to lift the hatch. The struts are designed so that even if they stop working you can manually lift it up....so sounds like yours is stuck.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

There is an emergency release that can be pulled from the inside. You may need a flat screwdriver to pull the cover off.

My issue was fixed when I replaced the JBE module. This junction box sends power to different devices in the car to operate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      01-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Replaced seized spindle and that fixed the problem. Also releasing handle to open tailgate as mentioned above is no good if your spindle is seized.
Appreciate 0