XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

New Guy with new car - first impressions.

Hello gents!

I've been looking for an SUV fora little while and I finally found a sweet one! I purchased a 2011 X5M with low miles (~30K), Carbon Black Metallic exterior, black interior, and the carbon fiber trim. It looks amazing and I'm pleased with the purchase.

I have a couple questions:

1. How long does it take to get used to the I-drive deal? This is my first BMW.

2. My car does not have the leather stitched dash. Was that an option?

3. The car feels fast off the line and coming out of first gear. A bit of delay from stomping on it to "go" but all in all very impressive for an SUV. Is the tune worth it?

4. What are options for brake rotors and pads?

Thanks!! Here are a couple call phone pics, full spread coming after HRE's!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Welcome. Great choice on the M.

The leather dash was part of the full merino leather package.

A tune really helps on these cars to wake them up. I have the Velos tune and like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Thanks Crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Couple more pics!!

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Hello gents!

1. How long does it take to get used to the I-drive deal? This is my first BMW.
Great looking machine!

iDrive got bad rep early 00's, they were the first to play with the idea.
I have to say modern iDrive is great. Did not take me much to get used to it. One appreciates iDrive when switching to another vehicle brand and you go "what is this piece of junk with a thousand buttons?!".
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Nice!! Like yourself, i also just purchase one. I am taking delivery of it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Which camera and lens did you use for those second few pics? Looks nice and sharp!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Great looking machine!

iDrive got bad rep early 00's, they were the first to play with the idea.
I have to say modern iDrive is great. Did not take me much to get used to it. One appreciates iDrive when switching to another vehicle brand and you go "what is this piece of junk with a thousand buttons?!".
Haha I totally agree. I've been playing around with it and I've cleared up a couple questions I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolieri View Post
Nice!! Like yourself, i also just purchase one. I am taking delivery of it tonight.
Congrats! I'm already a fan, the car is amazing. Only one downside is that there is a slight rattle of the cabin when going over speed bumps. I think it has to do with the fact that it's got a stiff suspension and it is an SUV. I'm coming from sedans and those were as solid as it gets. On the SUV side, I did have a Tahoe that rattled so bad it felt like it was gonna fall apart so in comparison to that, this cabin is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Which camera and lens did you use for those second few pics? Looks nice and sharp!
The camera is a Nikon D5300 and the lens is a AF-S Nikkor 10-24. I'm able to get really cool wide angle shots and close up is decent. The lens is quality and I get good RAW files but 90% of the magic happens in post!

Can someone please with sugar on top tell me why the hell the idrive will not recognize my iphone or my ipod? I have tried them plugged in to both ports, in the glove and dash. When I go to CD/Multimedia it the options are not highlighted, like the car does not recognize them. Am I missing something?

Also, how do you stop the steering wheel from moving every time I get in and out of the car? It's completely useless IMHO and it's just another thing that can break.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Post the last 7 of your vin number, so we can see your build sheet. I think you are missing the com box that isn't install till 2012 models. This means you will need a BMW y adapter that plugs into the usb and audio jack and the other end hooks to your phone / iPod. Also this would mean no Bluetooth music just Bluetooth phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
gmaurer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

2011 X5M

Congrats.
Couple comments:
1) Watch how your color changes in the sunlight - IMHO, it's the best color BMW offers.
2) I have the Dinan tune to protect the BMW warranty. In retrospect, for me it's not worth the money. It may be for you, though. Depends on how you drive.
3) For max acceleration and performance, make sure the shifter is in Sport (to the left). You'll see an "S" in the display. And make sure you're in "M" mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:21 AM   #12
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Very nice!
TY sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
Post the last 7 of your vin number, so we can see your build sheet. I think you are missing the com box that isn't install till 2012 models. This means you will need a BMW y adapter that plugs into the usb and audio jack and the other end hooks to your phone / iPod. Also this would mean no Bluetooth music just Bluetooth phone calls.
LK27001

Let me know please what this car has, or doesn't have! This is all new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaurer View Post
Congrats.
Couple comments:
1) Watch how your color changes in the sunlight - IMHO, it's the best color BMW offers.
2) I have the Dinan tune to protect the BMW warranty. In retrospect, for me it's not worth the money. It may be for you, though. Depends on how you drive.
3) For max acceleration and performance, make sure the shifter is in Sport (to the left). You'll see an "S" in the display. And make sure you're in "M" mode.
Yeah UNREAL about the color. It looks black in any light except direct sunlight and then it looks like duper dark navy. I read that the car was Black Sapphire Metallic and when the seller showed up I thought the paint was jacked up and he was trying to rip me off. I had no idea that BSM was actually what it is. lol

The Dinan is crazy expensive, but I'm sure worth it to preserve the warranty.

Last, after a couple days of ownership, I am absolutely crazy about this car. GM I did figure out "M" mode and then gear shifter in Sport. It was a moment of clarity where everything in the universe made sense. I can't wait for the tune, and wheels, and carbon bits, and filters, and springs, and on and on and on...
      10-28-2015, 02:46 AM   #13
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m / E55 / C63

lol ... great minds think alike bro...

I too got a carbon black x5m .. even tho I was looking for black but I got a good deal..

congratz my amg friend
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

I got the carbon black as well. Didn't appreciate it at first but after i detailed it - Really cool and custom looking color
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchl21 View Post
lol ... great minds think alike bro...

I too got a carbon black x5m .. even tho I was looking for black but I got a good deal..

congratz my amg friend
Haha nice to see a familiar face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
I got the carbon black as well. Didn't appreciate it at first but after i detailed it - Really cool and custom looking color
Ya it's super interesting the color. I'm excited, it's the first non black or silver car I've EVER owned.

What color wheels do you think would look good?
      10-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I do not believe anything can be done about the motorized steering wheel entry/exit function...I don't think it can even be coded away. Agreed-so annoying...

Last edited by Poppyboy; 10-28-2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I do not believe anything can be done about the motorized steering wheel entry/exit function...I don't think it can even be coded away. Agreed-so annoying...
That sucks big time. I'm sure when the car was brand new and the motor ninja silent it was cool. After several years of on and off it takes a toll. I just want to stop the abuse!
      10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
LK27001

Let me know please what this car has, or doesn't have! This is all new to me.
There were 5 packages available on the E70 X5M, along with a number of additional options.

Your's has -
Driver's Assistance Package (rear view camera w/ top view, HUD, auto high beams)
Cold Weather Package (heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, ski bag)
Premium Sound Package (enhanced sound, iPod & USB adapter, satellite radio)
Rear Climate Package (4 zone climate control, rear side window shades)

Options -
Soft close automatic doors
Carbon Leather trim
side view camera
comfort access keyless entry
automatic tailgate
*while not an option (determined by build date), yours does show Combox control (build code 6VC)

The only package it doesn't have is the Active Ventilated Seat package. A few options I didn't see on yours - space saver spare tire, 6 disc changer, high gloss roof rails, and leather dashboard (full LED headlights were not an option until 2013).

Overall very nicely optioned!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #19
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Ya strange yours is equipped with the com box but noticed you are missing 6NF ext. con. Of the music play.i.mobilph
That may be the key to steaming music over Bluetooth.
My steering wheel stopped moving one day and I liked it. I accidentally moved the steering wheel around one day messing with and it does the retract and up again. I should have left it alone lol.

Go to bmwvin.com to see your build sheet
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

hate to hi jack, but can you check mine?
LK25795
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
There were 5 packages available on the E70 X5M, along with a number of additional options.

Your's has -
Driver's Assistance Package (rear view camera w/ top view, HUD, auto high beams)
Cold Weather Package (heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, ski bag)
Premium Sound Package (enhanced sound, iPod & USB adapter, satellite radio)
Rear Climate Package (4 zone climate control, rear side window shades)

Options -
Soft close automatic doors
Carbon Leather trim
side view camera
comfort access keyless entry
automatic tailgate
*while not an option (determined by build date), yours does show Combox control (build code 6VC)

The only package it doesn't have is the Active Ventilated Seat package. A few options I didn't see on yours - space saver spare tire, 6 disc changer, high gloss roof rails, and leather dashboard (full LED headlights were not an option until 2013).

Overall very nicely optioned!
Wow thanks!! Super excited about the premium sound (really does sound impressive) but I would have traded that Cold Weather Package for the leather in the dash all day long. Maybe the original buyer checked the wrong box.

Whats the combox control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
Ya strange yours is equipped with the com box but noticed you are missing 6NF ext. con. Of the music play.i.mobilph
That may be the key to steaming music over Bluetooth.
My steering wheel stopped moving one day and I liked it. I accidentally moved the steering wheel around one day messing with and it does the retract and up again. I should have left it alone lol.

Go to bmwvin.com to see your build sheet
Awesome thanks for the advice! I got sirius sat, 5 months for $20 with a 2 month "trial". Lol, then just cancel and sign up again for the same. Basically comes out to $2.85/MO or $34.28/YEAR! Also plug in old Iphone 5 in the glove as Ipod and music solved.

Quote:
LK25795
Haha DO ME DO ME!
      10-29-2015, 02:13 AM   #22
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
LK25795
2010 X5M - Carbon Black over Bamboo

Packages included -
Driver's Assistance
Cold Weather
Premium Sound
Rear Climate
Active Ventilated Seats (includes comfort seat functions)

Options included -
Automatic tailgate
High gloss roof rails
Soft close doors
Comfort access keyless entry
6 disc changer
Rear seat entertainment system
Leather dashboard
Piano black interior trim

Damn your's in really loaded - all 5 packages and most options. No side view camera or spare tire, but otherwise looks to have everything? FWIW most X5M's are pretty loaded up from what I've seen, I almost never see any strippers. Most have at least 3 or 4 of the packages and a number of options.

Quote:
Whats the combox control?
Other members probably have better knowledge of it, but my understanding is Combox allows web browsing, bluetooth audio, album covers, BMW apps, and maybe another item or two.
Appreciate 0