XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Times Like This
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M

What can I expect when buying a 2013 X5M?

What are the main things I can expect when buying this vehicle? Are there any injector or coil pack issues?

For instance, when buying an E9X M3 you should have $ set aside for rod bearings and throttle actuators.

I plan to change spark plugs and flush all the fluids. Is there any other preventative servicing, you might recommend?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Expect to pay for downpipes, tune, and rolling stock to put an even bigger smile on your face.

The rest is either recall or general maintenance related.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

+1 ^ I got mine tuned and a custom muffler delete on the car and both i spent about 2k and it made me super happy. Downpipes will run you about $1200 without install

I was told by multiple people injectors can be an issue, not sure how true that is and also the coil packs.

So far i have 82k on my X5M and i bought it with about 68k in June 2017 and ive only replaced my fuel pressure sensor and got all the recalls done. Ive had to replace my rear airbags since they started leaking and no other real big issue *knock on wood*

Cant think much of anything else that breaks alot on this car
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
+1 ^ I got mine tuned and a custom muffler delete on the car and both i spent about 2k and it made me super happy. Downpipes will run you about $1200 without install

I was told by multiple people injectors can be an issue, not sure how true that is and also the coil packs.

So far i have 82k on my X5M and i bought it with about 68k in June 2017 and ive only replaced my fuel pressure sensor and got all the recalls done. Ive had to replace my rear airbags since they started leaking and no other real big issue *knock on wood*

Cant think much of anything else that breaks alot on this car
Injectors will be an issue not matter what they are under recall and can be replaced at the dealership for free.

I bought my truck with what I thought was index 12's and still needed to replace them, just replaced 4 more a few weeks ago and found out I had one index 12 and three index 9's - The only one I could see on that bank was an index 12 and the four I replaced on the other bank last year were 12's so I assumed I had all index 12's but boy was I wrong ...

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Injector, Fuel Pump, Airbag recall all free and covered up to 120K miles I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I will add that brakes are pricey, and can also be very noisy.

There are some issues with the vent hoses and check valves for the intakes/ turbos that can cause oil leaks on top of the turbos and such.

All E70 X5 have issues with front swaybar endlinks going bad and causing noise, as well as crappy coolant expansion tanks that spring leaks.

Might want to check out the tires, and if they are run flats change them out for something else, and make sure alignment is good or you will chew through them fast.

everything else has been covered already....
Appreciate 1
JMD628.50
      01-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
procheap909
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5m

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just recently purchased a 2013 x5m and was told I have a cpo that would cover me until 2019. The dealer that sold me the M was not a bmw dealer but I was assured by them I would have warranty cpo coverage. Fast forward I had a high battery drain last weekend took it to my bmw dealer and I was told the cpo warranty wad not under my name and cannot be transferred to me even though there is only 69000 miles on th M. Also I was told it while look at past history this past may looKS like a claim with puma was filed for an engine cause being a rod bearing issue. Has anyone heard of any if these issues and if so what are some steps that I should take? I like the vehicle but it can be costly without a warranty and also why would an engine go at 60k when it was in shop for all regular maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by procheap909 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just recently purchased a 2013 x5m and was told I have a cpo that would cover me until 2019. The dealer that sold me the M was not a bmw dealer but I was assured by them I would have warranty cpo coverage. Fast forward I had a high battery drain last weekend took it to my bmw dealer and I was told the cpo warranty wad not under my name and cannot be transferred to me even though there is only 69000 miles on th M. Also I was told it while look at past history this past may looKS like a claim with puma was filed for an engine cause being a rod bearing issue. Has anyone heard of any if these issues and if so what are some steps that I should take? I like the vehicle but it can be costly without a warranty and also why would an engine go at 60k when it was in shop for all regular maintenance?
On elusive high battery drain... Check all of your comfort access handles. If any won't lock or unlock, replace the one that isn't working asap. Prior to replacement just disconnect it.

P.S. front and rear handles are the exact same, but the side differs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Quote:
The only way to get a CPO warranty is if you A) buy it directly from a BMW dealer as CPO B) Purchase is directly from the owner and they transfer the CPO to you.

You cannot have a CPO warranty transfer if you purchase the vehicle from a non-BMW dealer ...

Did you get the warranty will transfer in writing? If not your shit out of luck my friend.

Any specifics on what the issue was exactly, I haven't heard much of the S63 having major engine problems.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For the new guys:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379182
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #11
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would suspect that the battery may need to be replaced in your rig, just due to the cold you deal with. Mine was giving me the random warning, and I did everything I could to maximize it i.e. longer drives, locking as soon as I turned it off to shut off everything etc. Still got the warning on cold days.. New battery in and coded, and it has been perfect since. I did see that a battery had been previously replaced as well, so this is battery #3 in 100K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
I would suspect that the battery may need to be replaced in your rig, just due to the cold you deal with. Mine was giving me the random warning, and I did everything I could to maximize it i.e. longer drives, locking as soon as I turned it off to shut off everything etc. Still got the warning on cold days.. New battery in and coded, and it has been perfect since. I did see that a battery had been previously replaced as well, so this is battery #3 in 100K miles.
Sure, a new battery isn't going to drain as fast as an old one but that doesn't mean you fixed your problem. IF your CA handles are faulty, a new battery is just masking the problem and it may be just a matter of time until you start getting the warning again (fingers crossed that you don't). Of course, on the other hand, it's possible that the fault was in the battery itself, but I was under the impression that the "High Battery Discharge" signified a faulty battery, vs. the "High Battery Drain." I'd keep a close eye on it.

To all, remember, CA handle(s) can work as designed but can still draw too much power. They don't necessarily need to stop working for this to happen. Only way - that I know - to diagnose the problem in this instance is to monitor the temperature of the handle(s), they work but become warm/hot to the touch. They will eventually stop working but still drain your battery, and can short the circuit and blow your fuse when they go. If that happens, you'll lose functions like stereo sound, gong, Bluetooth, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
I will add that brakes are pricey, and can also be very noisy.

There are some issues with the vent hoses and check valves for the intakes/ turbos that can cause oil leaks on top of the turbos and such.

All E70 X5 have issues with front swaybar endlinks going bad and causing noise, as well as crappy coolant expansion tanks that spring leaks.

Might want to check out the tires, and if they are run flats change them out for something else, and make sure alignment is good or you will chew through them fast.

everything else has been covered already....

My swaybars were changed out about 8 months ago,.....and the airbag was finally changed in November if I recollect correctly. Note,...I didn't want to say "recall" correctly! LOL!

Next time,...I'll replace the swaybar links myself.
      01-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
They will eventually stop working but still drain your battery, and can short the circuit and blow your fuse when they go. If that happens, you'll lose functions like stereo sound, gong, Bluetooth, etc.
Dead on! I didn't know for sure this was the issue until a blown fuse killed everything electronic.

Replaced the driver door handle and all was well.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Everything said above is WRONG.

Expect only smiles from your new to you race truck.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
Everything said above is WRONG.

Expect only smiles from your new to you race truck.
YESSSS!

Expect nothing but bliss from this vehicle. Have a look at this thread if you still need convincing...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455306
Appreciate 0