XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

X5M Air Strut Fail... Fix the bag or move to coils

Hey folks,

well almost 6k km into ownership, ive encountered the gentle caress of a true M vehicle. Lost what I believe to be an airstrut (bag) on the rear drivers side of my X5M, which is my daily driver.

so i'm exploring options in a rather rapid manner haha, basically since even before I purchased I have been eyeballing the KW V.3 coilovers, love the way they look and every vehicle ive ever seen with factory airbags has been a nightmare from chevys to these. So the idea of eliminating that is appealing.

Scouting my options and opinions on the difficulty of install of a kit, and does the price really outweigh the replacement of the single, standard, bag for right now?

EDIT: also, does the coilover change the weight capacity on these, not that im towing a trailer much, if at all. I wouldn't mind maintaining that ability however.
      08-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenker View Post
Hey folks,

well almost 6k km into ownership, ive encountered the gentle caress of a true M vehicle. Lost what I believe to be an airstrut (bag) on the rear drivers side of my X5M, which is my daily driver.

so i'm exploring options in a rather rapid manner haha, basically since even before I purchased I have been eyeballing the KW V.3 coilovers, love the way they look and every vehicle ive ever seen with factory airbags has been a nightmare from chevys to these. So the idea of eliminating that is appealing.

Scouting my options and opinions on the difficulty of install of a kit, and does the price really outweigh the replacement of the single, standard, bag for right now?

EDIT: also, does the coilover change the weight capacity on these, not that im towing a trailer much, if at all. I wouldn't mind maintaining that ability however.
Not sure if their compatible with the factory air bag mounting components. I could be wrong but because you have the optional air bag system it's not a simple swap-out.

To swap the bag is about 30 to 45 minutes and the part is cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

$200 and 30 minutes of your time to fix the problem. Hardly anything to get worked up about.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
$200 and 30 minutes of your time to fix the problem. Hardly anything to get worked up about.
This was a guaranteed problem on our AMG's. Is this an Arnott replacement part or another source?
      08-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Arnott replacement. The replacement instructions are very straight forward too. Just search on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

Just an update to this, Took the advice and just replaced the bag. $250 for 2 bags on amazon and about 45 mins of time and it was back on the road.I had not anticipated this being an easy fix in the least!

Still looking into coil overs come spring time, because low is life.