XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #23
drccw
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
Post the last 7 of your vin number, so we can see your build sheet. I think you are missing the com box that isn't install till 2012 models. This means you will need a BMW y adapter that plugs into the usb and audio jack and the other end hooks to your phone / iPod. Also this would mean no Bluetooth music just Bluetooth phone calls.
I bought this which basically allows my iPhone 6s to stream music over bluetooth as well as use the iDrive for control....

drccw
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:09 AM   #24
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Ok so I have a couple good questions for you guys.

1. I noticed today that the exhaust has a valve on the inner pipe. How does it work? Is it open up on WOT or some other parameter?

2. Is there any way to get more noise out of the turbos? I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to roll in this:

and all I remember is how overwhelming the turbos sounded. Also, when I was in HS, I remember a kid had a Typhoon with the loudest turbos on the planet. I don't wan't them that loud but some noise would be great!
      10-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #25
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m / E55 / C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Ok so I have a couple good questions for you guys.

1. I noticed today that the exhaust has a valve on the inner pipe. How does it work? Is it open up on WOT or some other parameter?

2. Is there any way to get more noise out of the turbos? I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to roll in this:

and all I remember is how overwhelming the turbos sounded. Also, when I was in HS, I remember a kid had a Typhoon with the loudest turbos on the planet. I don't wan't them that loud but some noise would be great!

I think when in "M" mode the valve opens. some people open the mufflers and weld a straight pipe in place so when m mode enables its even louder.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #26
drccw
Rep

Quote:
Hello gents!

I've been looking for an SUV fora little while and I finally found a sweet one! I purchased a 2011 X5M with low miles (~30K), Carbon Black Metallic exterior, black interior, and the carbon fiber trim. It looks amazing and I'm pleased with the purchase.

I have a couple questions:

1. How long does it take to get used to the I-drive deal? This is my first BMW.

2. My car does not have the leather stitched dash. Was that an option?

3. The car feels fast off the line and coming out of first gear. A bit of delay from stomping on it to "go" but all in all very impressive for an SUV. Is the tune worth it?

4. What are options for brake rotors and pads?

Thanks!! Here are a couple call phone pics, full spread coming after HRE's! :thump:
My car is pretty much the same thing... recent to me as well... mine had more miles on it unfortunately but that it life... optioned out pretty much the same except for I have the active ventilated seats, which while nice aren't really all that necessary...
Still getting used to the idrive. Did you get an extended warranty? First BMW I've owned (except for a hand me down 5 Series from 1986) and I'm afraid to tune it because I'm worried about the voiding the extended warranty...

I want to go a bit darker on the tint.. have you thought about that?
drccw
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #27
TheVazha
Major
Rep

I got a CarChex 5 year 75K additional mile "Titanium" exclusionary policy. It wasn't cheap but I figure it'll help me move this car in the back end especially if in a couple years no one want's to warranty them. That or I can just drive it into the ground! Lol.

As far as tint, I had my tint guy try to match the rear as best he can. I live in Cali and it's illegal to have ANY tint so I'm content with what I got. It's a fair 35% all around and I think it looks classy.

I'm not worried about a tune, I am however worried about the suspension. It's right there in my contract, in big bold letters, "any alterations or modifications will result in voiding the warranty immediately". I was very close to pulling the trigger on a suspension kit, these cars look AMAZING lowered. Anyways, now that that's not an option, what size wheel's look best on a non lowered X5M? Still 22's or will they now look funny? Maybe 21's? Someone chime in please!

Also, something weird happened last night. ALL my stored stations and settings have disappeared/reverted to default!! What the hell is up with that?? I had about a dozen presets and it took me about an hour to ping in the equalizer to where I like it and it's all gone! Has this happened to anyone before??

And those turbos, any way to get more noise out of them?
      10-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #28
drccw
Rep

Quote:
I got a CarChex 5 year 75K additional mile "Titanium" exclusionary policy. It wasn't cheap but I figure it'll help me move this car in the back end especially if in a couple years no one want's to warranty them. That or I can just drive it into the ground! Lol.

As far as tint, I had my tint guy try to match the rear as best he can. I live in Cali and it's illegal to have ANY tint so I'm content with what I got. It's a fair 35% all around and I think it looks classy.

I'm not worried about a tune, I am however worried about the suspension. It's right there in my contract, in big bold letters, "any alterations or modifications will result in voiding the warranty immediately". I was very close to pulling the trigger on a suspension kit, these cars look AMAZING lowered. Anyways, now that that's not an option, what size wheel's look best on a non lowered X5M? Still 22's or will they now look funny? Maybe 21's? Someone chime in please!

Also, something weird happened last night. ALL my stored stations and settings have disappeared/reverted to default!! What the hell is up with that?? I had about a dozen presets and it took me about an hour to ping in the equalizer to where I like it and it's all gone! Has this happened to anyone before??

I'm not interested in touching the suspension at this time.. one thing that for some reason I would like is colored calipers.. I know that the later models had blue ones...

I am going to change the angel eyes to Hellst XRTs... I was between those and the LUX Angel Eyes but the Hellst were cheaper and I couldn't see that much more of a benefit for the LUX....

Did you use the other key? I think the presets/etc are unique to each key. Same thing happened to me when I switched keys....

From what I understand getting deeper fuller exhaust requires going with downpipes or catless... my buddy's Cayenne Turbo has great great exhaust but performance wise it's merely about the same (plus/minus)

I've gotten away with 20% tint here in MD; might be tricky to match the front/back up...

drccw
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #29
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

catless DP
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #30
TheVazha
Major
Rep

^ I was hoping you weren't gonna say that!

I think the masses agree that it's a worthless mod right? Pay $1500 for exhaust pipe and another $500 for install and deal with software all for what, 15HP AND and good possibility of voiding warranty?

I remember when I was in high school a bunch of AB guys had slammed Greddy cars and they were all turbos. You can hear those guys down the street. How can they get crazy turbo sound out of their Civics but we can't out of these?
      11-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #31
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Fart cans.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Fart cans.
Hahahaha yup. I was thinking of the blow off valve sound. I just did a little bit of reading and I saw the 335 guys were doing them. Has anyone installed one on an X5M?
      11-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #33
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
^ I was hoping you weren't gonna say that!

I think the masses agree that it's a worthless mod right? Pay $1500 for exhaust pipe and another $500 for install and deal with software all for what, 15HP AND and good possibility of voiding warranty?

I remember when I was in high school a bunch of AB guys had slammed Greddy cars and they were all turbos. You can hear those guys down the street. How can they get crazy turbo sound out of their Civics but we can't out of these?

I got 36 whp 9 wtq out of mine and not re-tuned. I guess might not be worth it for you ... turbo spool still not that loud ... I mean why do you want that lol and it will prob void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #34
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchl21 View Post
I got 36 whp 9 wtq out of mine and not re-tuned. I guess might not be worth it for you ... turbo spool still not that loud ... I mean why do you want that lol and it will prob void your warranty.
sorry if answered earlier - but, 36whp, was it worth it? do you feel a difference with that amount? thanks.

I have a 5.0 and deciding if worth the risk to the warranty for some extra hp and torque. Not looking to add any hardware or noise either...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #35
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
sorry if answered earlier - but, 36whp, was it worth it? do you feel a difference with that amount? thanks.

I have a 5.0 and deciding if worth the risk to the warranty for some extra hp and torque. Not looking to add any hardware or noise either...

I do feel a difference for sure and it also sounds louder but its not worth it if you are only looking for power.
Appreciate 0