XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Leather Dash imperfection

Need opinions

my 2011 X6 50i has the full leather dash. I am noticing a 2-3 inch area where leather looks weird, washed out or something to that effect. it has a wrinkled section and then the area around the wrinkle just looks off. leather looks like it was repaired does not really match the the other area of the dash. of course it has to dead center right above the nav screen. I am noticing it more every day.

took it the service manager. very nice... basically said the bmw rep will come and inspect it...his opinion BMW would offer to replace the entire dash BUT he did ask how much it it really bothering me. I asked why that matters. his reply...the original dash was factory installed, obviously. the replacement dash will be installed by trained techs but the chance of perfect factory fit, nil.
said there will be probably some creaks, noise, rattle from the replacement.

what should I do? how much difficulty to make the dash a perfect fit, seems odd to me the replacement would be so noisy?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

That's a tough call.

I don't think I'd want to risk the creaks and rattles.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
launchcontrol
Banned
Rep
Drives: AlpinewhiteM3DCT

post pics
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Need opinions

my 2011 X6 50i has the full leather dash. I am noticing a 2-3 inch area where leather looks weird, washed out or something to that effect. it has a wrinkled section and then the area around the wrinkle just looks off. leather looks like it was repaired does not really match the the other area of the dash. of course it has to dead center right above the nav screen. I am noticing it more every day.

took it the service manager. very nice... basically said the bmw rep will come and inspect it...his opinion BMW would offer to replace the entire dash BUT he did ask how much it it really bothering me. I asked why that matters. his reply...the original dash was factory installed, obviously. the replacement dash will be installed by trained techs but the chance of perfect factory fit, nil.
said there will be probably some creaks, noise, rattle from the replacement.

what should I do? how much difficulty to make the dash a perfect fit, seems odd to me the replacement would be so noisy?
I would suggest the same...if it doesn't bother you or not noticeble, I would say leave it as it is because as the manager said, there's no way trained technicians would perfect the job as well as factory installation. However, if BMW rep. agrees that the leather dash is defective in that area, I would suggest you seek reembersment for something else just to make up for such manufacturing mistake.

Last edited by XBMW6; 08-26-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

I agree with all previous. It is difficult to voice definite opinion without seeing it but dash replacement would be a huge job. Guarantee that there will be some rattles when done. The thing with leather is that it is a natural product (not factory made) so uniform colour and texture cannot be guaranteed. I would not go for replacement unless it is really bad. Is it just you who has noticed it ? Is it bad enough that some one else notices the difference in finish? This is one test you can use . I know it is most annoying cos you know it's there. It would certainly annoy me but I would probably not go the risk of full DB change unless it was real bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Take some photos...I can compare it to mine since I have the leather dash option.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

It would have to really bug me to risk that kind of surgery...The risk is never getting back to whole again and that's what the SM is telling you too...

Perhaps there is other "compensation" they'd be willing to provide? A nice accessory or two perhaps?

Post pix and a picky asz like me (and others) can tell you if you're off your rocker or not