XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Problem with paint??

When I picked up my 2011 x6 from the perf deliv center, last month, there was dime size chip in the driver's door (touched up with paint but very visible). this was pointed out to me during the delivery. I was told to contact my local dealer and it would be repaired. So I dropped the car off 1 week ago to be fixed.
this morning I get a call saying both driver side doors had to be repainted due to proximity of chip. I am not happy. I have not seen the repair yet but I am worried it's gonna look, feel or seem odd. any opinions as to what to look for on a paint job this early.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Most dealers have or use very good paint shops , shouldn't be an issue is it's standard color ( non individual).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

sorry to hear it Scott.

but a dime size chip seems to be a big deal if that happened before u took the car. i wouldn't have accepted the car in the first place. knowing it'll need to be repainted, i'd just tell the factory rep to pull a new door panel out from the production line to replace it.

repaint is always not a good thing. especially u didn't cause it. the durability is never matched with factory paint, not to mention u'll always know it's there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

I completely understand your frustration ... no one wants to have their new car re-sprayed right after they buy it. But, with that said, I would not be too worried about it looking bad. I had the front bumper and hood of my M3 re-sprayed due to some bad rock chips and the color match is pretty much perfect. I am very picky about that kind of thing, and was very satisfied with the result. Just make sure you are happy with the result and inspect the paint before you accept your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Kassfy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 .35

Ya BMW repaints arnt that bad. I had my 330I repainted once by bmw it came out great...colors matched fine and no problems over the years.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

All is Good...Now DeBadged as a bonus!

Paint repair went well. looks great, doesn't look or feel funny. big relief...on a sorta related note. they removed the XDrive X50i badging from the drivers side. didn't have any in stock atm. looks much better, imo. gonna remove the passenger side badge as well
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Paint repair went well. looks great, doesn't look or feel funny. big relief...on a sorta related note. they removed the XDrive X50i badging from the drivers side. didn't have any in stock atm. looks much better, imo. gonna remove the passenger side badge as well

Good to read Scott. Sadness is not what you want when you spend this kind of dough. Glad you are happy!
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
When I picked up my 2011 x6 from the perf deliv center, last month, there was dime size chip in the driver's door (touched up with paint but very visible). this was pointed out to me during the delivery. I was told to contact my local dealer and it would be repaired. So I dropped the car off 1 week ago to be fixed.
this morning I get a call saying both driver side doors had to be repainted due to proximity of chip. I am not happy. I have not seen the repair yet but I am worried it's gonna look, feel or seem odd. any opinions as to what to look for on a paint job this early.
Just keep the papers/documentation on why it is being painted and by whom. That way, if/when you trade it in (to the same dealer) and they start the ol "door has been sprayed routine" you have the docs to remind them why. Past that, don't sweat it too much and enjoy a nice car. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Tackles411
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i X6 35i

I agree about the Xdrive etc badging: its too complicated and fussy - better without.
Appreciate 0