XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
dman77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

N62 VALVE STEM SEAL Repair -what else should I have done

I have an X5 with the N62 4.8i and I guess I am one of the few people who are going to repair it instead of dumping it on some unsuspecting car dealer and getting rid of the endless stream of problems. So I am having a shop open up the Engine and replace the vavle stem seals, and they are doing it the old fashioned way of removing the cams (not AGA tool), they are also replacing the ever troublesome waterpipe and valley pan gasket, spark plugs, new valley pan, all new gaskets of course.

Surprisingly they are doing all this for about the same as most indy shops want for just doing the valve stem seals the easy way (AGA tool).

My question is what else should I have them replace while they have everything torn apart?

I was thinking

Water Pump

Serpentine belt and /or pulleys?

injectors ?

thermostat?

Plug wires etc?

do the cams themselves or valves need to be replaced or does this create a lot more work / $

I dont want to spend a ton more money, but figured since I am sticking with this beast I might want to replace anything that can be done more cheaply while they are doing open heart surgery.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Depending on miles I’d do the plugs, thermostat, water pump and drive belt assemblies including tensioner.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Great idea having other stuff taken care of during this repair - labor should be a fraction of normal with the motor dropped out (they are dropping it out, right?).

Anyhow, I have the N63 and the dealer dropped the motor out the bottom to replace the value guide seals. I didn't have a specific list of parts to replace, but I told my SA to have the techs look everything over and tell me what needed replacement - perfect time to do it.

Perhaps not applicable on the N62 but heat is a huge factor on the N63 with the twin turbos, and all my plastic panels between the engine and firewall were disintegrating, so I had all those replaced. Also had the upper oil pan gasket, front brakes, and front control arm bushing replaced. Labor was roughly 1/3 of normal with everything pulled apart for the valve guide seals.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
If the engine is out and the cover is off, I’d do the coolant pipe in the block, and consider doing the alternator oil seal and oil pan seal. They all fail too on this engine.

There is an expandable water pipe.... to make the job easier, but the engine is out and the valve covers are already off.

The alternators fail about every 40k-50k, replace the SERP and tensioner.

Replace thermostat though this is an easy diy on this car.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the water pump, as they rarely fail.

I’d have them do the plugs as the two by the firewall are a huge pain in the ass to replace. Having done it, the drivers side firewall took me 2 hrs, it’s super tight clearance.

I’d also consider vacuum hoses.

I’ve done all of these on my 08 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
dman77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Thanks guys for all of the input, very much appreciated
Appreciate 0