XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

02-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Catted Downpipes

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 1.00

Item Interest
Ok, so I've got this set of catted downpipes that I purchased for my X5///M. Here's the issue, they don't fit. I did a lot of research and apparently there's no telling exactly what they do fit... On top of it all, I tried to track down the company that originally made these things, EFI Logic, and while they are local to me, they're also out of business...

So, here's the story, at least so far as I can figure out... Member titanle bought them for his X6 Hybrid (50i) and they didn't fit... He apparently spoke to EFI and they said that they do in fact fit the X5///M. So he sold them here on the forum... Those threads are here...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ight=EFI+Logic

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877516

Based on a rough timeline (posted a few months later), the guy that purchased them (I think) is another member on here, TD78. No word on what happened with them from him other than he "chose to go with a different setup". Of course, he sold them.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ight=EFI+Logic

So the guy that purchased them was another forum member, flx5m. He also never installed them, in his thread he "chose to go with a different setup". He posted them for sale and I purchased them from him... I spoke to him a bunch when I confirmed that they don't fit, he didn't really have any additional information for me. That thread is here...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ghlight=catted

Now, I'm not trying to call anyone out or accuse anyone, this is just the research I've done trying to find out if anyone had successfully installed these downpipes... I installed them on my truck, at least attempted to, and they don't fit. More specifically, the passenger side doesn't fit. The driver's side does fit just fine. The passenger side one hits on the vacuum pump that is on the back side of the passenger side cylinder head.

So, I can't just sell them on the forum and say that I didn't install them and claim that I don't know anything... I confirmed they don't fit, and apparently they don't fit the X6 Hybrid either. I spoke at length with my Service Advisor and he stated that all of the BMW vehicles that use the N63/S63 engine have that same vacuum pump, and all of the cars that use the newer S63Tu (the new M5 and M6) have the post cat O2 sensors lower in the pipe, so not for those either...

So, what do they fit? I don't know... I suppose at this point, there are two options... Modify the passenger side to fit, or cut them up and use the catalytic converters for something else... If I can't sell them for anything, that's what I'll do. I'll cut them up and put the cats under the truck to stop the gas smell (right now I'm running gutted OEM downpipes).

So, that's the full story. I wanted to make sure there was full disclosure as to the history of these downpipes... I wish I had been given more of the story, but oh well...

Ok, so if anyone is interested, please post. I received quotes to install cats in my exhaust (similar to what's in these pipes) and it was a total of about $500... So, I'd like to get a few hundred bucks for the units...

Anyone interested, feel free to discuss... Post offers, questions... anything...

Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Sorry that sucks. I hope someone picks them up from you if for no other reason then you where honest and transparent about the situation. Its nice to remember that there are still straight shooters out there and not everyone is trying to get something over on you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

The n63 uses different downpipes so maybe they are for
A
Non hybrid in 5.0
Another thought is maybe they are for a RHD car although prob not since it's a USA based company
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I know you state that the n63 vehicles all have the same vacuum pump but possibly in a 5/6 series vs an X the positioning is different.
Just bc they have the same engine doesn't mean the downpipes will be the same.
For instance my 35xdrive had the f10 downpipe where an e9x/e8x n55 used a different dp and so does the f3x n55
N54 in the e9x/e8x is different than the e60 and the z4 and even the early x6 with n54.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Yes, I definitely think it is possible that they could fit a non M, non hybrid X5/6 or possibly a 5/6/7 series... But, there's really no telling without test fitting.

I'm all for selling them at a discounted price to someone that is willing to try them out... Still sucks though because I can't get my money back, yet I can't feel right selling them for a lot of money.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0