XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

New Front Tires

I have had some bad cupping with my front tires for the past few months, and now it is getting to the point where the outside edge of each of the front tires is getting very low. So I am probably going to change them in the next few weeks.

My problem is the rears still look good, not much wear on them, probably 60% tread left. They are slightly cupped, but not much at all. Is it possible to only change my fronts? I hear some people say on AWD you need to always change all 4, and others say not....

It's a 50i with optional 20"ers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
raneman27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW X6

New Front tires

I'm having the same issue and was wondering if you find out anything yet on this issue. I first did an alignment and it helped a lot but was wondering about changing the fronts only.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneman27 View Post
I'm having the same issue and was wondering if you find out anything yet on this issue. I first did an alignment and it helped a lot but was wondering about changing the fronts only.
I haven't. I shall be taking it in to a tire shop soon though and will post a update. I kept getting told by everyone not to do an alignment until I changed the tires because it won't make a difference, seemed weird to me, and seems like it would have probably prolonged the tires more. Maybe its not too late to even just do that....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

Read this article regarding tire diameter difference issues and AWD vehicles...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

I believe the acceptable variance is <4%... I just went thru the same issue and decided to replace all 4 woth non-runflats... World of difference.. Much much quieter ride....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
NOVADPG
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 x50i

My front tires experienced similar tread problems recently. I had the front end aligned back in January because I thought the tires were sounding a little loud. It was a little out of spec, but not bad. Then, about 2 months ago, I noticed that the outside edges of both front tires were getting worn down. Brought the X6 back in to check the alignment, and sure enough it was out of alignment again! To add fuel to the fire, they then proceeded to fail the car for the annual safety inspection because of the worn tire edges. I was hoping the tires would last thru the summer, so that I could buy a tire and wheel set for the winter, and then buy new summer tires next year.

How often does one need to check alignment on these things? I don't drive on very rough roads, and don't recall hitting a pot-hole that would have been severe enough to throw the front end out again.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
NOVADPG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX6 View Post
Read this article regarding tire diameter difference issues and AWD vehicles...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

I believe the acceptable variance is <4%... I just went thru the same issue and decided to replace all 4 woth non-runflats... World of difference.. Much much quieter ride....

Could you please share which tires you decided on? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
MaX6
Private
Rep

Run flat tires wear very fast.. You will be lucky to put 10k miles on the fronts before considerable wear occurs.. I went with non-run flat Nitto Motivos all around.. I should be able to get at least 40k miles on the fronts and 50k-60k on the rears.. I bought them online for $875 for the set of 4. Took them to my dealer to install along with an alignment... All total was around $1,125 to mount, balance and align with 4 new tires.. The ride and noise level in the car improved 75%... I did not like driving my car when i had the run flats.. I love the car now!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
NOVADPG
Rep

Thanks MaX6! A couple of follow-up questions, if I may:

- did you buy a small spare and a jack to account for the lack of RFT? if yes, does the spare fit under the trunk cover without bulging or did you have to remove the liner?
- by stating "dealer" do you mean you brought these to a BMW dealer for the installation, or someone else? If at a BMW dealer, just curious what they might have said about substituting non OEM tires.
- do you have the 20" wheels on your X6, or the matching 19s?
- if you get a chance, could you take two photos and post them here for us? I would love to see a profile pic of the car with the new tires installed, as well as one from the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
MaX6
Private
Rep

I have 4 cars currently and haven't had a flat tire in any car in over 10 years plus... I just am not all that concerned about getting a flat... With today's tire technology a nail or piece or road debris (which I have had) is just not going to cause an immediate flat. I have had low pressure symptoms which when taking a soapy sponge to the tire can easily pinpoint a screw or nail.. tires today lose very little airpressure with a screw or nail... I have a tire patch kit and a DC compressore I keep in the car for emergencies (which I have yet to use) ... I do not have a spare or a jack in the car.. I don't see the need. I have a floor jack in the garage if I ever need to take a wheel off...

regarding the dealer - Yes my local BMW dealer.. When I told them I wanted to take the run flats off they gave me the speech about the car is engineered for RFT's etc. and that BMW recommends keeping the RFT's on the car but at the end of the day they were happy to put any tire on I wanted... which they did.... fyi the RFT's have a stiffer sidewall and assist the car in cornering and high speed manuevers.. If you are racing your car, do alot of aggressive driving or find yourself eluding the police often you may want to consider keeping the RFT's for better cornering performance... If you like to go fast but mostly in a straight line than the RFT's will have ZERO impact on the drivability of the car... Also - I have the 20's... The Motivo's have a nice stance when mounted.. nice fat tread pattern and low profile.. I will try and post some pics...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX6 View Post
Run flat tires wear very fast.. You will be lucky to put 10k miles on the fronts before considerable wear occurs.. I went with non-run flat Nitto Motivos all around.. I should be able to get at least 40k miles on the fronts and 50k-60k on the rears.. I bought them online for $875 for the set of 4. Took them to my dealer to install along with an alignment... All total was around $1,125 to mount, balance and align with 4 new tires.. The ride and noise level in the car improved 75%... I did not like driving my car when i had the run flats.. I love the car now!
Where did you find this deal? Think I may go this way.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
MaX6
Private
Rep

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...15&ar=35&rd=20

The fronts are currently $222ea.. The rears $239.. Free shipping and no sales tax makes them $922 for set of 4.. I had a $50 online coupon when i bought them.. Not sure they still have or offer...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
NOVADPG
Rep

Thanks for your help and advice MaX6.
I ended up deciding to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. I like the looks of the tread design of the Nittos better, but really like all of the great reviews here and elsewhere regarding the Contis. Ordered them today, and should have them on the X6 by Saturday, if not earlier. Now, just need to pick up a few cans of Slime!
Appreciate 0