XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Question Serivce issue, looking for advise

Hi guys, looking for advise here...

I dropped off my car 2013 BMW X5M at 7:30am this morning at BMW Service for oil change and spark plugs replacement, I also asked to do a over all vehicle check, rotors check and to follow up on 2 recalls (driveshaft and air bag).

I was told to come back after 4pm to pick it up. When I came at 4:30, car wasn't ready, they told me that they waiting for air filters as they don't have them in stock, (I replied please don't change my air filters as I have my own which I recently installed BMC). They told me ok and brought my car to me in 1 hour (I guess the hand wash is such a long process...)
Also driveshaft was checked and its ok (they say) no parts available, the same with air bag.

Anyway I payed my dues $645 which includes $100 Spring coupon, its less than I was quoted in different service center but still more than I expected.

I'm going to my car and first thing I see is Engine Malfunctioning error message on iDrive, Vehicle check error (Service Past Due) is still on the screen! and oil level not at the full level! I open the hood and I see engine shaking with clicking noise!

I go back to the SA advisor and asking him how is this possible! He doesn't have an answer for me. So they gave me another loaner 2017 X6 and he told me that they will look in to it first thing in the morning!

I asked them to have a different mechanic to work on my car this time (the same guy who worked on my car before (previous visits)). He also told me that they can bring the car to me tomorrow when it's fixed!

My main questions are.
1st I assume they did something wrong when they replaced spark plugs?
2nd. Should I go pick it up myself instead, to make sure everything is fine! It's gonna be tougher if I find another issue when they bring it to me (not to mention I don't want some kid driving my car around!)
and lastly should I ask for refund or partial refund?

Sorry for long post but I really looking for advise here, I'm pretty pissed tonight...
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

I dropped off my car 2013 BMW X5M at 7:30am this morning at BMW Service for oil change and spark plugs replacement, I also asked to do a over all vehicle check, rotors check and to follow up on 2 recalls (driveshaft and air bag).

I was told to come back after 4pm to pick it up. When I came at 4:30, car wasn't ready, they told me that they waiting for air filters as they don't have them in stock, (I replied please don't change my air filters as I have my own which I recently installed BMC). They told me ok and brought my car to me in 1 hour (I guess the hand wash is such a long process...)
Also driveshaft was checked and its ok (they say) no parts available, the same with air bag.

Anyway I payed my dues $645 which includes $100 Spring coupon, its less than I was quoted in different service center but still more than I expected.

I'm going to my car and first thing I see is Engine Malfunctioning error message on iDrive, Vehicle check error (Service Past Due) is still on the screen! and oil level not at the full level! I open the hood and I see engine shaking with clicking noise!

I go back to the SA advisor and asking him how is this possible! He doesn't have an answer for me. So they gave me another loaner 2017 X6 and he told me that they will look in to it first thing in the morning!

I asked them to have a different mechanic to work on my car this time (the same guy who worked on my car before (previous visits)). He also told me that they can bring the car to me tomorrow when it's fixed!

My main questions are.
2nd. Should I go pick it up myself instead, to make sure everything is fine! It's gonna be tougher if I find another issue when they bring it to me (not to mention I don't want some kid driving my car around!)

Sorry for long post but I really looking for advise here, I'm pretty pissed tonight...
Thank you!
I used to be a porter for a BMW dealer back while I was going to college, and you don't want them driving your car period. Few porters drive like they should. Just look on YouTube and you'll be sick to see how the little punks treat people's cars.

They drove my 135is for a "test drive" to verify trans issues and got the car back with my rocker damaged, looked like they swiped a concrete barrier. They denied they had anything to do with it..... probably self preservation I'm sure. But anyway.....

If they have done something wrong and they made the mistake of giving your car back unfinished and low oil then letting them drive it to you is asking for trouble. What if they drove it to you with the issues you had. This has happened before at the dealer I worked for. The tech gets interrupted because their understaffed or something then forgets to finish your car properly.

I've heard stories where people drive off with no oil filter installed and boom! Blown engine.....

Just tell them you'll pick it up. Trust me it's worth the effort.

Plus last time a porter drove my car they went fishing in my glove box and stole a stash of cash I had in their for visits to Dairy Queen!
I was pissed!

As far as asking for a discount. It's normal for dealers to have club discounts and such and I get 20 to 30% off all parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:

My main questions are.

Thank you!
I used to be a porter for a BMW dealer back while I was going to college, and you don't want them driving your car period. Few porters drive like they should. Just look on YouTube and you'll be sick to see how the little punks treat people's cars.

They drove my 135is for a "test drive" to verify trans issues and got the car back with my rocker damaged, looked like they swiped a concrete barrier. They denied they had anything to do with it..... probably self preservation I'm sure. But anyway.....

If they have done something wrong and they made the mistake of giving your car back unfinished and low oil then letting them drive it to you is asking for trouble. What if they drove it to you with the issues you had. This has happened before at the dealer I worked for. The tech gets interrupted because their understaffed or something then forgets to finish your car properly.

I've heard stories where people drive off with no oil filter installed and boom! Blown engine.....

Plus last time a porter drove my car they went fishing in my glove box and stole a stash of cash I had in their for visits to Dairy Queen!
I was pissed!

As far as asking for a discount. It's normal for dealers to have club discounts and such and I get 20 to 30% off all parts.
ty sir, I was leaning towards going there and picking it myself again, u reassured my decision!
can't believe official BMW service center would provide such a poor service!
to be fair, this is my first bad experience but it's only takes one time!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:

My main questions are.

Thank you!

I was pissed!

ty sir, I was leaning towards going there and picking it myself again, u reassured my decision!
can't believe official BMW service center would provide such a poor service!
to be fair, this is my first bad experience but it's only takes one time!
Blame the people not BMW. BMW has usually went above and beyond for me, The right people in the right place makes magic happen.

It's hard to hire good porters because they don't want to pay good money and kids love driving so their lining up for the job.

Kids who just got their drivers license don't know how to handle a car with 500hp normally and make mistakes. Don't let it happen to your car.

When I was working a kid went to park an M5 and ended up wrecking 4 cars that day!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I agree to pickup the car yourself. It's normal for a tech to need to test drive after a repair to verify that it's fixed, but avoid allowing anyone driving your car simply for transport- it WILL be abused.

If you are tactful in your discussion with your SA, you can usually get a discount prettty easily, or if they are stingy that day they can at least give you a coupon for a future visit discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
I agree to pickup the car yourself. It's normal for a tech to need to test drive after a repair to verify that it's fixed, but avoid allowing anyone driving your car simply for transport- it WILL be abused.

If you are tactful in your discussion with your SA, you can usually get a discount prettty easily, or if they are stingy that day they can at least give you a coupon for a future visit discount.

Thank you!
I just got call from SA, he told me the issue was with one of spark plugs being bad and it caused one of cylinders to misfire! They ordered another spark plug and should get it this afternoon to replace.

My day today is pretty crazy so I will be going back to dealer tomorrow early morning to pick it up myself to make sure everything is working as it should! I also will ask for some kind of refund or discount or else...

For now I’m enjoying driving 2017 X6 as a loaner!

Also saw this X4 with M package on show floor, pretty cool if you ask me!

Thanks again for all the help and advises!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
yet another update, just got a call from SA and another bad plug!, sounds like a bad patch!
misfire in different cylinder!
I'm pretty unhappy still but hoping this story will finish soon!
I'll keep u updated!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
yet another update, just got a call from SA and another bad plug!, sounds like a bad patch!
misfire in different cylinder!
I'm pretty unhappy still but hoping this story will finish soon!
I'll keep u updated!
That's so odd. I've never heard of just factory bad plugs. I'm glad they are working it out for you.

That X4 actually looks pretty good. The older X3s and X4s were so ugly, but these new ones are very attractive...I'm very excited to see the X3M when it comes out.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I'm calling BS on what the SA is telling you vs what is actually going on. First of all, not having a common part such as spark plugs in stock seems very unusual. Second, a brand new faulty plug.....what are the chances??? Third, not one but two faulty plugs.....

Just seems way too coincidental.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
I'm calling BS on what the SA is telling you vs what is actually going on. First of all, not having a common part such as spark plugs in stock seems very unusual. Second, a brand new faulty plug.....what are the chances??? Third, not one but two faulty plugs.....

I hear u, I guess we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post

I hear u, I guess we shall see...
You did the right thing not driving it away. They could have then said whatever happened happened on your watch and probably would charge you for whatever reason! For god knows what they did.
Appreciate 1
boneca1999.50
      05-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
For the love of God, people, stop going to the stealership for out-of-warranty service, unless there are no indy specialists anywhere near you. Even then, consider a wrench, jack and YouTube.
Appreciate 1
mirob3009.50
      05-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #13
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
For the love of God, people, stop going to the stealership for out-of-warranty service, unless there are no indy specialists anywhere near you. Even then, consider a wrench, jack and YouTube.
when it comes to brakes etc., I agree, but I don't want to mess with 40k engine on my own, I don't know any good indy shops around me but even if I knew if they did something wrong what's next?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #14
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I too call absolute BS on "bad spark plugs". They screwed something up and are buying time while they figure it out and fix it... Unfortunately this behavior happens all the time at dealers. If they were honest every time about the screw ups their techs make then nobody would go to the dealer for service at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
vioilio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
I too call absolute BS on "bad spark plugs". They screwed something up and are buying time while they figure it out and fix it... Unfortunately this behavior happens all the time at dealers. If they were honest every time about the screw ups their techs make then nobody would go to the dealer for service at all.
+1 first hand experience.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Last dealer service I had (under maintenance plan) included an oil and filter change. Pop the hood and they didn't bother with swapping out the filter. No indication they even touched the housing cap. Needless to say I had a nice conversation with the Service Manager and apparently on paperwork as VIP now. I've got a feeling it has a very different meaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
to conclude, I got the car back tonight, everything seems to be normal, I checked everything I could check and drove about 80 miles since

sure I couldn't get any refund but at least I got my next oil chance for free (which is equivalent to about $200), I figured this is better than nothing!

thanks all for words of advice!
too bad there are no places that can be 100% trusted, sometimes u get lucky sometimes not...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Thumbs up

You had georgievskaya lenta (Ribbon of Saint George) in your car on May 8-9

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 1
boneca1999.50
      06-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #19
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

FWIW Ive had several bad spark plugs on X5/6 M's and M5/M6's right out of the box...
Appreciate 1
boneca1999.50