XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #67
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

I own an f10 m5 lol its not a big deal like it is in here lmao... Throw a sick exhaust and downpipes on it and it is irrelevant. Also if you blast your music you'll never hear it anyway.

The worlds not ending people.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #68
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
There's a reason why I'm jumping ship to Porsche. You just listed most of them.
Porsche does have a sound tube though. My 991 Carrera S is louder when i activate Sport or Sport Plus. I dont have the sport exhaust so thats not whats making it louder either... I love it though. Makes the car sound much throatier under full throttle!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #69
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Active Sound shows that BMW has contempt for true enthusiasts, and because of it,their sales will soon plunge to 0.

But until then, if they don't equip all their cars with LED lights (at N/C), they'll fall behind Audi and Merc. Who, by the way have softer seats, so we should have them. But Porsche has better bolsters on their seats, so maybe we should have them.

Then again, these present, badge whore BMW buyers mostly use that newfangled DCT, which was created by Satan, and not the Be One With Thine Machine 6MT, which cowboys used to herd cattle and Patton used to beat Hitler.

And these F32's have those hideous Bimmerangs, so a good alternative is the C 07, with the gigantic Cheverangs. And i might have to get a GT-R because of that god awful hood cut line, even though the GT-R has it too.

I'll NEVER get rid of my NA V8 either, even though the F8X will outperform it in every way. It's like listening to a symphony! Even though i did get the enhanced sound package...which btw should be standard on a $70K car!

And don't get me started on that glued on iPad nav screen, instead of the beloved hump.

Maybe I'll get an M4 and put a RSGT3AMG badge on it, so people will think I'm an enthusiast.

...or maybe I'll just bitch about everything...yeah, that it!

Truly a genius post. It's like reading about everyone's gripes of why they hate having to own cars they will inevitably buy. In my case, I will look elsewhere for a performance car and never own an M4 unless its for a legit daily i like cruising in. No longer raw enough. Will likely "downgrade/upgrade" to a different breed after the e90 ///M days.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #70
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

It looks to me like the actual F10 M5 owners have spoken, they are fine with the simulations.

M does not make track cars or sports cars it is a premium brand of a premium brand that makes what it's customers want.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #71
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I concur with many on here... the thought of piping in engine noise is fodder for laughs; I think it's ridiculous and stupid. But it wouldn't stop me from driving the car, and enjoying it!

One has to remember that we are the minority; we are the 1 percenters who know our car's owner's manual front to back, and my wife says I look at other peoples' cars the way I look at other peoples' wimmen

The average BMW owner is not an enthusiast. I see them every day with their dust-packed wheels and untinted windows. It's just a car. They see 'active sound' on the window sticker and say to themselves, "Well, at least I know the stereo'll sound good!" and then when they feed the pedal they hear the 'engine' and like the car.

So for me, it's like Comfort Access or Memory Seats - I just don't care.
      11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #72
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
It looks to me like the actual F10 M5 owners have spoken, they are fine with the simulations.

M does not make track cars or sports cars it is a premium brand of a premium brand that makes what it's customers want.
I don't think anyone cares beyond people who don't have the cars... I blast rap/rock in my m5, same way I did in my e92 m3/e90 335x and wouldn't begin to notice some silly sound that has everyone freaking out.

Throw an exhaust on the m5 problem solved.

As far as track cars I'm throwing my fat m5 around corners almost as fast as I was in the e92. I'd take 30mph turns at 70-100 in the m3 and in this fat m5 70-90. Don't get me wrong you will feel the weight, but its not like you're driving a town car...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #73
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
You're absolutely right. And that's a damn shame.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #74
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
word on the streets is that BMW is also making "whistler exhaust tips"....whoot whoot
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #75
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

P cars and others have similar amplifications.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #76
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
I concur with many on here... the thought of piping in engine noise is fodder for laughs; I think it's ridiculous and stupid. But it wouldn't stop me from driving the car, and enjoying it!

One has to remember that we are the minority; we are the 1 percenters who know our car's owner's manual front to back, and my wife says I look at other peoples' cars the way I look at other peoples' wimmen

The average BMW owner is not an enthusiast. I see them every day with their dust-packed wheels and untinted windows. It's just a car. They see 'active sound' on the window sticker and say to themselves, "Well, at least I know the stereo'll sound good!" and then when they feed the pedal they hear the 'engine' and like the car.

"untinted windows" seriously
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #77
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

There is an article/side bar in the July 2014 Roundel on the new M3/4 having fake engine sounds piped in through the stereo. The author likes it.

I agree that even amplified sounds with all the electronics/sensors/amplifiers etc. involved are an expense that I would not wish to support, any more than other gimmicks to make a car "more sporty."

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #78
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

I haven't tried. I don't like the idea.

I think it's good to start now for the future electric only cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #79
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92
There's a reason why I'm jumping ship to Porsche. You just listed most of them.
That's funny since Porsche is now doing the "fake sound" thing in the new 911 turbo. I'm sure other models as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #80
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan
Quote:

"untinted windows" seriously
Oh the humanity. Dust packed wheels?!!!!! When will it ever stop. How dare they call themselves BMW owners. What a load of pompous BS. How about you spend more time actually enjoying your car and less judging other people. Just because I have untinted windows, and enjoy my Comfort Access and memory having seats does not make me any less of an enthusiast. I for one think that electric starters are for wimps who don't understand the true joy of crank starting their own engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #81
emapway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Well it really depends on the car owner. Some just want quite exhaust but amazing engine sound. While others are trying to mimic it by just replacing the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #82
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

May be a question of semantics but I cannot abide by this fake sound crap. A resonator tube from the intake is fine because at least its the real engine sound you are hearing. Faking the engine sound and playing that over the speakers is just wrong to me. Would not buy...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #83
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know that "real car guys" are a diminishing breed and some may just prefer to call us "old school" but fake engine sound is the last straw that shows the BMWs lack of caring for real car guys. I must admit that they grudgingly put manual transmissions in their cars for us but deep down BMW resents it. Life would be much simpler for them with just an automatic that lets you "shift" or drive in full auto but at least they do it and I still own a BMW for that reason.

Lexus on the other hand doesn't do it on their IS 350 and I will not buy one because of it BUT after having read that Active Sound is mandatory on the new M cars.......I am puzzled and seriously saddened by it.

This is the new height of poserdom. I cannot buy a car with fake engine sound and to make matters worse you cannot disable it without disabling the stereo system. I have been seriously holding out of M235 or M2 but I don't know if I can overcome this. I would be embarrassed if other car guys found out I was driving with fake engine sound track.

Not only is there the embarrassment but more importantly the it is one more loss of connection to car. I listen to my engine! As some have called it, I have "mechanical empathy" and I listen to it. Every ping when accidentally lugged, every VANOS rattle when the idle drops to low and the crescendo of mechanical music when making serious power. Even turbos and wastegates are part of the "rhythm" when you are autocrossing or cruising on a mountain road. That is a another connection lost. With automatics, you do not control or manage the engagement so you lose that connection, then the new steering racks further detach you from the road feel and now you cannot "really" listen to the engine.

Sad. I know most of you don't feel the same way, I understand, since you grow up with iPhones that are set to the "old" analog phone ringer and think it's quaint.

I was just wondering if there were any of you out there that are also sad about fake engine sound?
+1

I guess folks like when girls fake it and make them feel good.

Real and pure or it's a no go - as simple as that!

New gen drivers are represented throughout restaurant. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #84
emapway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
May be a question of semantics but I cannot abide by this fake sound crap. A resonator tube from the intake is fine because at least its the real engine sound you are hearing. Faking the engine sound and playing that over the speakers is just wrong to me. Would not buy...
I truly agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #85
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Didn't BMW modify Active Sound for the new F80/F82 M3/M4? I thought I read somewhere that it no longer plays an artificial soundtrack; it now it picks up the actual engine sound and amplifies it through the audio system.

Still seems silly. I thought Porsche's Sound Symposer was a better system.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #86
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know that "real car guys" are a diminishing breed and some may just prefer to call us "old school" but fake engine sound is the last straw that shows the BMWs lack of caring for real car guys. I must admit that they grudgingly put manual transmissions in their cars for us but deep down BMW resents it. Life would be much simpler for them with just an automatic that lets you "shift" or drive in full auto but at least they do it and I still own a BMW for that reason.

Lexus on the other hand doesn't do it on their IS 350 and I will not buy one because of it BUT after having read that Active Sound is mandatory on the new M cars.......I am puzzled and seriously saddened by it.

This is the new height of poserdom. I cannot buy a car with fake engine sound and to make matters worse you cannot disable it without disabling the stereo system. I have been seriously holding out of M235 or M2 but I don't know if I can overcome this. I would be embarrassed if other car guys found out I was driving with fake engine sound track.

Not only is there the embarrassment but more importantly the it is one more loss of connection to car. I listen to my engine! As some have called it, I have "mechanical empathy" and I listen to it. Every ping when accidentally lugged, every VANOS rattle when the idle drops to low and the crescendo of mechanical music when making serious power. Even turbos and wastegates are part of the "rhythm" when you are autocrossing or cruising on a mountain road. That is a another connection lost. With automatics, you do not control or manage the engagement so you lose that connection, then the new steering racks further detach you from the road feel and now you cannot "really" listen to the engine.

Sad. I know most of you don't feel the same way, I understand, since you grow up with iPhones that are set to the "old" analog phone ringer and think it's quaint.

I was just wondering if there were any of you out there that are also sad about fake engine sound?
It's not that we're young (iPhones didn't exist for me until after I had graduated college), it's that we understand things change.

Don't like it? Buy an older car, problem solved. Times are changing, as they always do and there will always be people like you, people who hate change.

Do I think it's "cool" to have active sound management like that? No, I don't think anyone does. It's just something we all deal with since most of us also don't like having a constant engine/exhaust drone while we're cruising down the highway going on a 4+ hour road trip.

I've driven cars with active sound management, the last thing I'm thinking about is the fact that fake engine noise is coming through the speakers. The only way you'd ever even know it was there is if someone told you.

But what do I know? Whine and complain away. Go drive a Fox Body Mustang or something, then everyone will realize how amazing and cool you are for being a "real car guy", because fuel injection is for pussies right? REAL car guys have carbed engines. Then make fun of people using smartphones while you ask your fellow companions where the nearest payphone is because you're badass and old school like that.

Last edited by fecurtis; 07-08-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #87
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

ITT: People complaining about a luxury automaker building cars with luxury features.

"Hey look! That guy who wanted a luxury car and paid extra money for one actually got a navigation system with his! What an idiot! REAL BMW enthusiasts don't need any of that nonsense! Give us the same equipment you'd find in a base Corolla for three times the price because we're cool like that!"

BMW caters to people who want luxury features and a specific driving experience, not to the high schoolers who drool over Subaru BRZ's and Scion FR-S's (not to knock those two cars as I'm sure they're a blast to drive for reasonable prices).

Give me a break, take your childish nonsense over to Jalopnik. This is seriously the dumbest thread I've read in a long time.

If you want a track car that's full of raw feeling, head over to Porsche, but buy used. New Porsche's (new anything) with all their technology won't feel as raw as previous generations.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #88
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

In this thread: empty threats!