XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

Throttle issues from a standstill

Hi everyone,

I've encountered this issue a few times since I've had the car. From a red light, I'll essentially give it full throttle without hitting the throttle button with the pedal (the best way I can describe it is I give it about 80-90% throttle, but I won't click the throttle button). The issue is this. When I do that, obviously I reach around 4-5k rpm before the car automatically tries to shift to second. Just before it tries to shift to second, the car will sort of "bog" or jerk a bit, at which point I let off the throttle and just drive normally. This doesn't really happen when I have it in S mode or when I shift manually (but to be honest, I just don't really recall whether it does or not in those modes), and I can't remember exactly if it happens only once and then the car is fine afterwards for some time. Also, I thought it may be my traction control, but I turned it off this morning just to test it and lo and behold, it did it again. The car has 32,500km and is a 2013. All maintenance has been done and I do an oil change every 7-9k.

Anyone encounter something similar or have any suggestions?

For a bit of clarification, I can go WOT without any issues from any other gear. Going from 1st to second while giving >80% throttle from a standstill is when I SOMETIMES experience the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
toptounov
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloX5///M
Hi everyone,

I've encountered this issue a few times since I've had the car. From a red light, I'll essentially give it full throttle without hitting the throttle button with the pedal (the best way I can describe it is I give it about 80-90% throttle, but I won't click the throttle button). The issue is this. When I do that, obviously I reach around 4-5k rpm before the car automatically tries to shift to second. Just before it tries to shift to second, the car will sort of "bog" or jerk a bit, at which point I let off the throttle and just drive normally. This doesn't really happen when I have it in S mode or when I shift manually (but to be honest, I just don't really recall whether it does or not in those modes), and I can't remember exactly if it happens only once and then the car is fine afterwards for some time. Also, I thought it may be my traction control, but I turned it off this morning just to test it and lo and behold, it did it again. The car has 32,500km and is a 2013. All maintenance has been done and I do an oil change every 7-9k.

Anyone encounter something similar or have any suggestions?

For a bit of clarification, I can go WOT without any issues from any other gear. Going from 1st to second while giving >80% throttle from a standstill is when I SOMETIMES experience the issue.
Try spark plugs, it sounds like its misfiring under the load.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptounov View Post
I had the plugs changed a month ago under normal service. Could the ones they put in be faulty?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
toptounov
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had the plugs changed a month ago under normal service. Could the ones they put in be faulty?
Yes, I got mine changed and 4 out of 8 were no good. If you drop a plug, from 3feet down, it's will be gone for sure. I suspect that happened to mine, dropped during shipping or something like that. It's develops micro crack in a ceramic part of it, and if you push your car, if will miss fire. Will give you exact symptoms you described.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
toptounov
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Was the car doing this thing before the plug change?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Hello,
I have a 2013 X6M. The same type of bog or choking occurs between 1st and second when I accelerate full throttle in M mode. I was told by BMW Dinan techs that it is the engine cutting out before shifting, as the rate of rpm increase is so fast in 1st gear. If I manually shift at ~4.5K rpm, it does not choke.
Regarding plugs, I agree, but maybe you have old problematic injectors. Even though I have a 2013, I had the older -08 injectors installed. I did have rough idle and loss of power problems, and BMW changed them (and all plugs) under warrantee to the newer improved version -11. Check that out.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Was the car doing this thing before the plug change?
It was, yes. Again, it isn't too frequent, but maybe that's because I barely get on the throttle much
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucabratsi View Post
Hello,
I have a 2013 X6M. The same type of bog or choking occurs between 1st and second when I accelerate full throttle in M mode. I was told by BMW Dinan techs that it is the engine cutting out before shifting, as the rate of rpm increase is so fast in 1st gear. If I manually shift at ~4.5K rpm, it does not choke.
Regarding plugs, I agree, but maybe you have old problematic injectors. Even though I have a 2013, I had the older -08 injectors installed. I did have rough idle and loss of power problems, and BMW changed them (and all plugs) under warrantee to the newer improved version -11. Check that out.
Cheers,
My throttle cut happens in normal mapping, AKA non-M mode. in M mode, its fine. I've got my brake service coming up soon, I'll tell them about it and hopefully they can swap my injectors or at least run a diagnostic. Hopefully its throwing a silent code (no CEL as of right now).

Just for my own reference, would you happen to have the part number of the new injectors? If not, no worries. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I got mine changed and 4 out of 8 were no good. If you drop a plug, from 3feet down, it's will be gone for sure. I suspect that happened to mine, dropped during shipping or something like that. It's develops micro crack in a ceramic part of it, and if you push your car, if will miss fire. Will give you exact symptoms you described.
Interesting. I will take it in for my brakes soon, and I'll ask them to check the plugs. Perhaps that will be the fix for it. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloX5///M View Post
My throttle cut happens in normal mapping, AKA non-M mode. in M mode, its fine. I've got my brake service coming up soon, I'll tell them about it and hopefully they can swap my injectors or at least run a diagnostic. Hopefully its throwing a silent code (no CEL as of right now).

Just for my own reference, would you happen to have the part number of the new injectors? If not, no worries. Thanks for your help
when my car still under warranty, stealership refused to replace that fuel injectors.

i just called and asked how much will cost out of my pocket.

fuel injectors, $1098 parts total 8 of them.

Labor is the pain in the ass, $135 13 hours.............:mad0 259:

I just bought the chinese replica ISID stealership laptop to check everything myself and doing that shit with my frineds........

Make sure you have them to replace that.

i got the cel because i drive the beast like you did.

The sound of the downpipe + exhaust is
      12-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloX5///M View Post

The part number is INJECTOR PART# 13537585261-xx Where the xx for the newer improved injectors are -10 to-13. To use the new injectors, you have to change all of them, as they require new fuel mapping.
Your BMW guys know there was a problem with -09 and below, many engines had them replaced at dealer cost.
Here are some links:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651538
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=16533432

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucabratsi View Post
The part number is INJECTOR PART# 13537585261-xx Where the xx for the newer improved injectors are -10 to-13. To use the new injectors, you have to change all of them, as they require new fuel mapping.
Your BMW guys know there was a problem with -09 and below, many engines had them replaced at dealer cost.
Here are some links:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651538
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=16533432

Cheers
Thanks for your effort man.
Appreciate 0