XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Is the sunroof really necessary?!?

I drove that Touareg with a sunroof. .first experience with a sunroof ever. .Well. the breeze is nice (if no female passenger in the car complains about the draft, doh), but you get that vibration in your ear drums that makes you crack open the side window to anihilate it. . never understood why you get that thump, hum, in your years if rolling with the sunroof fully open at higher speeds. .in these german cars. .Are they making that sound on purpose?!? And what the hell would that purpose be??

Is that sunroof really worth the money?!? Maybe, just for feeling more space inside the BimmerX6Humvie? And a bit of sun and breeze? And that stressing, obbsesive humm in your ears and chest?!? Damn, that deep low tone noise reminds me of earthquake noises. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

It comes as a standard option now a large panoramic sunroof might be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I drove that Touareg with a sunroof. .first experience with a sunroof ever. .Well. the breeze is nice (if no female passenger in the car complains about the draft, doh), but you get that vibration in your ear drums that makes you crack open the side window to anihilate it. . never understood why you get that thump, hum, in your years if rolling with the sunroof fully open at higher speeds. .in these german cars. .Are they making that sound on purpose?!? And what the hell would that purpose be??

Is that sunroof really worth the money?!? Maybe, just for feeling more space inside the BimmerX6Humvie? And a bit of sun and breeze? And that stressing, obbsesive humm in your ears and chest?!? Damn, that deep low tone noise reminds me of earthquake noises. . .
Not all cars exhibit this noise when you have the sunroof open. It's a matter of aerodynamics in conjunction with speed. Some cars actually have additional 'flaps' that are lifted up into the air stream depending on how far open you have the sunroof to compensate or alter the air stream such that the annoying noise is kept to a minimum.

My wife's 325xi touring has BMW's moonroof (aka panoramic sunroof), it's HUGE (same as found on the X3 and X5). I love that moonroof. It's almost like having a convertible. Anyway, that moonroof has an arm and a flap with a screen that pops up once the moonroof is opened a certain amount. It does alter the sound quite a bit and makes it a lot better. I can actually reach up while driving and pull it down and wow, what a difference it makes!

I wish the X6 had the moonroof as an option, but I can understand that due to the curvature of the roof line, it wasn't possible to implement it... Still, I wish the X6 had it, I just LOVE it compared to the little sunroof the X6 sports .... oh well ...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Now it comes standard? Hey, I don't mind cracking the side window to cancel that vibration. .

You mean that panoramic sunroof that extends also above backseats? That should be a treat. .at low speeds.

PS: xDrive50i . .i believe BMW already knows how to fix that curvature issue for the moonroof.. .but as they always do. .let's hear the customers beg for it, first. As they said about the full electric BMW production car. .Let's hear that lots of customers badly want one. .and they will make it. .because they already have the knowledge in their pockets.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

So, anybody can explain if a sunroof is really worth the money?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

I'm not sure it's standard in Europe. Most Euro-spec bimmers have sunroof as an option (you have to pay for everything over there). But a barebones car is actually possible over there.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I can live without the sunroof. But life is too short to argue about it. It came with my X6, oh well.

I rarely open the shade. I could do without soft close doors and comfort access too. No big deal to me either way.
      07-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:
NO. All my cars had a sunroof b4 my e90 but now I would never get 1. I still have 1 on my other car and I hardly use it. I guess the novelty wore off. A/C does the trick or I just open my window.
      07-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

I would order the panoramic sunroof in X5 because it's just huge and I would actually use it some time. But I did not order the smaller sunroof in X6, because: 1 - it makes the headroom quite a big issue as it lowers the ceiling by 1,6 cm (that's in official X6 materials), what does not seem as much to me, but after I had the time to sit in one and actually thing about the sunroof, I decides that it is just not worth the money. And 2 - the size of it is just not enough for me after tes driving X5 with panoramic sunroof. Now that is a sunroof I would order, but the small one in X6 - NO.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTo_H View Post
I would order the panoramic sunroof in X5 because it's just huge and I would actually use it some time. But I did not order the smaller sunroof in X6, because: 1 - it makes the headroom quite a big issue as it lowers the ceiling by 1,6 cm (that's in official X6 materials), what does not seem as much to me, but after I had the time to sit in one and actually thing about the sunroof, I decides that it is just not worth the money. And 2 - the size of it is just not enough for me after tes driving X5 with panoramic sunroof. Now that is a sunroof I would order, but the small one in X6 - NO.
In Canada, the X6 comes standard with the sunroof, so it's a non-issue for us ...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
In Canada, the X6 comes standard with the sunroof, so it's a non-issue for us ...
Well, that's kinda unlogical for my, but I accept that not everything in today's world is logical
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTo_H View Post
Well, that's kinda unlogical for my, but I accept that not everything in today's world is logical
Well on most other models you have the option of selecting the optional package that includes the sunroof (in Canada and I think in the US, everything is done in packages). For some strange reason, the X6 comes standard with the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Why have a sun-roof in an air conditioned car!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

You need the sunroof to keep the car from overheating when parked in a hot climate; otherwise not...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
You need the sunroof to keep the car from overheating when parked in a hot climate; otherwise not...
How is the sunroof preventing the car from overheating?!? I think it will overheat even more with a sunroof. Talking about hot climate, I think we all get hot climate doesn't matter the geographical position, maybe only the penguins don't get that much. .yet.

PS: Maybe BMW executives (if they ever browse this forum) will think about a new cool feature in the era of global warming. .an aircon system that automatically cools the interior of the car, while parked for hours in the torrid sun, if temperature goes above 40 degrees Celsius (up to 80 deg. C) . . .I don't know how they can make this, without depleting the battery while engine is not revving, but it's a challenge for BMW. . I mean, I am sure that even Maybach and RR didn't think about this gizmo, yet.

PS: I am sure that X6 owners from Dubai, Kuweit and the Emirates will love this Maybe they can sponsor BMW to develop this project.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
PS: Maybe BMW executives (if they ever browse this forum) will think about a new cool feature in the era of global warming. .an aircon system that automatically cools the interior of the car, while parked for hours in the torrid sun, if temperature goes above 40 degrees Celsius (up to 80 deg. C) . . .I don't know how they can make this, without depleting the battery while engine is not revving, but it's a challenge for BMW. . I mean, I am sure that even Maybach and RR didn't think about this gizmo, yet.
The best way to do this would be to make the sunroof out of a solar panel. The hotter it gets outside, the more power it provides to run the A/C without draining the battery.

I think the Audi A8 has something similar, but it may not power the A/C ... maybe just the regular fan.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
The best way to do this would be to make the sunroof out of a solar panel. The hotter it gets outside, the more power it provides to run the A/C without draining the battery.

I think the Audi A8 has something similar, but it may not power the A/C ... maybe just the regular fan.
Yep your right I had this Solar roof" on two of my A8's, solar sunroof provides power to a fan that circulates air in the cabin, it works to a certain extent, but not perfect.
Appreciate 0