XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #155
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

No one's removing them, we're just simply using zipties or metal wire to hold the valves open.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #156
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Just out of interest
Any removed the cover of the silencer and left them out?
It looks very similiar to the stock F85 X5M exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #157
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The E70 mufflers are much larger and those canisters on the outside are contained within the body. Just like on the muffler you pictured above, the valved tips aren't muffled at all, so I've seen images of where people have cut open the stock E70 mufflers and removed those canisters to make it more free flowing...all that work though, I'd rather just do a muffler delete or create my own straighter flowing system vs the two hard turns the exhaust has to make within the stock muffler.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973042
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #158
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
The E70 mufflers are much larger and those canisters on the outside are contained within the body. Just like on the muffler you pictured above, the valved tips aren't muffled at all, so I've seen images of where people have cut open the stock E70 mufflers and removed those canisters to make it more free flowing...all that work though, I'd rather just do a muffler delete or create my own straighter flowing system vs the two hard turns the exhaust has to make within the stock muffler.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973042
I hear you.
I would like to retain the flaps. Thinking of leaving the center section closed.
Just opening two sides .
Have you done your exhaust setup yet?
Also i am busy with M5 header and turbo swap.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #159
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've thought about cutting out the 1" section and having it welded onto my tips, but it's ultimately it'd I'd likely be money wasted on my setup.

I haven't yet, I recently acquired a 97 328ci with 80k from my mom that's had the typical a-pillar leak for about two years, so a simple drying project turned into an interior gutting to get it done right. Next will come a turbo project to make it a little sleeper :-)

I'm jealous!! I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying a whole setup for $2k or at least the headers for $500.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #160
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Any pics of the F85 cut open ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #161
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I am contemplating doing the mod suggested in the first post but can we for the love of God please have some more decent videos of it!

Sounds like so many people went ahead with it and no one except for one person is willing to share what it sounds like so it would help others like me who are contemplating it. I want to be sure that it's the route I want to go before I start cutting and chopping my exhaust.

Ideally videos of the valve close (non M mode) and valve open (M mode) would be preferable but I'd take anything this point. Come on people!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #162
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

All that modification to the stock muffler is a waste of time when there are kits where you'll get more noise and much better looking tips. If you wanna hear before and after of the exhaust valve, that's simply two zipties away from hearing it for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #163
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Well most of the aftermarket exhaust systems I have come across are super expensive. Except for Megan which the consensus says isn't much different than stock and a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #164
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I believe these are M5 mufflers, but there's a few companies who make them for the X5M as well. After hearing his YouTube videos, I'm following in the footsteps of M6Beast and creating one myself by adding in an x-pipe and using Vibrant resonators.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #165
ChapsX5M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Modified stock exhaust for X5M.

Hi,

Great info and thread below. I'm contemplating doing the mod but still on the fence. I drive with the M button pushed every time I get in the car. I like the sound and do it for the shortening of the throttle for the performance as well. That said I would have the M button pushed all the time.

All these questions are related to the MODIFICATIONS already being completed:

How loud is it INSIDE the cabin when you hit the M button compared to when you don't? I know you wrote outside it much louder but how much louder is it inside. Someone wrote 3 to 4 times as loud but I wasn't sure if that meant outside or inside.

Also, knowing I drive on M all the time would that be a bit much compared to the regular non M sound since everyone seems to only hit the M every once in a while?

Also, my muffler guy is not sure how long this will take but said it's a LOT of work at $80 an hour. The threads show it's a 3 hour job or perhaps 4 hours. How many hours has everyone been billed out?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #166
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapsX5M View Post
Hi,

Great info and thread below. I'm contemplating doing the mod but still on the fence. I drive with the M button pushed every time I get in the car. I like the sound and do it for the shortening of the throttle for the performance as well. That said I would have the M button pushed all the time.

All these questions are related to the MODIFICATIONS already being completed:

How loud is it INSIDE the cabin when you hit the M button compared to when you don't? I know you wrote outside it much louder but how much louder is it inside. Someone wrote 3 to 4 times as loud but I wasn't sure if that meant outside or inside.

Also, knowing I drive on M all the time would that be a bit much compared to the regular non M sound since everyone seems to only hit the M every once in a while?

Also, my muffler guy is not sure how long this will take but said it's a LOT of work at $80 an hour. The threads show it's a 3 hour job or perhaps 4 hours. How many hours has everyone been billed out?
Do it well worth it, should run around 500 or less, move the m side to the non m side and straight pipe the m side ... done and done... if you are going to run cat less dps then it's way too loud but if not it's great
      02-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #167
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
My buddie's X5M moves the exhaust flap open or closed, depending on whether it is in M mode or not. My exhaust valve does not care and does not seem to be controlled by the M button, rather it seems to have a mind of its own...

I want to push the M button to make it open and close my exhaust valve, but it doesn't...

I wonder WTF is going on?

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #168
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
My buddie's X5M moves the exhaust flap open or closed, depending on whether it is in M mode or not. My exhaust valve does not care and does not seem to be controlled by the M button, rather it seems to have a mind of its own...

I want to push the M button to make it open and close my exhaust valve, but it doesn't...

I wonder WTF is going on?

Have you looked underneath to make sure the vacuum lines are still attached to the exhaust valves? Check for cracks in vacuum lines as well as tight fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #169
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

I have same question about the valve control on stock exhaust, I even took it to dealer about it.
As my X5M inner valve doesn’t open when M button is pressed, SA and shop foreman told me that it doesn’t work that way.
They told me that it never opens instantly when M button is pressed, it’s actually controlled by the back pressure.
Is this true? Anyone here with stock X5M exhaust that valve opens instantly when M button is pressed?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #170
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
I have same question about the valve control on stock exhaust, I even took it to dealer about it.
As my X5M inner valve doesn’t open when M button is pressed, SA and shop foreman told me that it doesn’t work that way.
They told me that it never opens instantly when M button is pressed, it’s actually controlled by the back pressure.
Is this true? Anyone here with stock X5M exhaust that valve opens instantly when M button is pressed?
False. Well, sorta true, but mostly false. The valves will open up automatically at certain RPMs when not in M mode, but will open and stay open as soon as you hit the M mode button.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #171
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
False. Well, sorta true, but mostly false. The valves will open up automatically at certain RPMs when not in M mode, but will open and stay open as soon as you hit the M mode button.
It sounds like valve supposed to be open instantly when M button is pressed, I guess something is wrong with mine then, I've parked my car with car running, pressed M button and looked at the valves and they are still closed, I'll ask my SA again and bring the car in if this true.
Does the shifter need to in M/S?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #172
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Quote:
It sounds like valve supposed to be open instantly when M button is pressed, I guess something is wrong with mine then, I've parked my car with car running, pressed M button and looked at the valves and they are still closed, I'll ask my SA again and bring the car in if this true.
No - you should hear a noticeable sound increase when hitting M mode.
Try putting it in drive before enabling M mode?

You can visually check by looking into the two inner exhausts - the butterfly valve should be open. If not, maybe have give your actuators a nudge to see if they're stuck shut. Otherwise it could be a vacuum leak, however this usually presents itself in a variety of other additional symptoms.

There's a schematic in this thread that shows where the other end of the rear system connects - there's a T junction around where number 7 is on the diagram, which runs to the side of your engine bay before connecting to a hard line to the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #173
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
Put it in drive. It won't open the valve in park. The shifter position doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #174
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

I have a stock muffler for sale $200. Minneapolis.

Milesjoh at MSN dot com.

I guess mine is a Stock X5 M Sport, sorry

Last edited by Movado750; 04-17-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #175
Dutch335
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Exhaust mod.

Hello,

Are you still driving arround with These Modification and still happy with it ?

Gr Erwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob NY View Post
Wanted to share my project I did with the stock exhaust this week.
First as you going to see I open the shell (pic #1) there I found two mufflers one bigger and one smaller. The smaller one is the side of the valves which would be used once the car would be on the M mode.
What I did is I kept the smaller muffler but moved it where the bigger muffler was and eliminated the bigger one. On the place of the smaller muffler I put straight pipe (pic #5).
Sound of the exhaust very happy, I had the eisenmann race and honestly I like this one more since I can even use the factory valves.
By the way got one for sale if anyone intrested.
I will also try to post a video this weekend.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:03 AM   #176
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

I would also like to know
Guys
Was anyone able to fix the horrible rattle on cold start from the left exhaust flap?
Appreciate 0