XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Work out in the Snow

If the weather guessers are right we are in for a small Blizzard in SW Indiana. I put the snow tire set up on the X5M and will see how it does in 8 inches of snow. This area down here gets 1 or 2 inches and people don't know what to do. This will make an interesting drive to work tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
dhenry
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Snow tires

I had my winter wheels and tires installed early Dec and was in MN when they had 8+ inches of snow. Worked great no problems getting around.
I would recommend winter tires for anyone living in snow areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

19" Blizzaks (LM-60's) blasted through the snow on I90 from Erie, PA through upper NY state without a problem this past week. Lake effect blizzard was problematic for other cars/SUVs. X5 was rock solid. Very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Had about 7 inches with lots of underlying slush this morning. Did very well getting through it all. Only problem were the drifts throwing snow up on the hood. White out conditions on the drive into work but the truck did great in the snow. Very happy with it. I think the X5 did better than our TBSS in the snow, don't want to tell the wife that though.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Got close to 4" in a hurry today. Running 19" Hankook I-Pikes. Awesome!

I bought the car this past Feb, and only had one snow day after I picked it up. The Dueler 20's were dangerous in the snow. Let it snow!
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35i Sports Activity

Got a few inches of snow, which followed rain, so under the snow was ice, in Kansas City last week. I was able to get my 20" Pirelli Winter Carving run flat snows on and they are excellent - spent last Thursday driving around on unsalted, unplowed streets with no worries - very stable and surefooted. Nice ride too, especially for snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by retusn View Post
Had about 7 inches with lots of underlying slush this morning. Did very well getting through it all. Only problem were the drifts throwing snow up on the hood. White out conditions on the drive into work but the truck did great in the snow. Very happy with it. I think the X5 did better than our TBSS in the snow, don't want to tell the wife that though.
Funny you would mention the TBSS, I traded in my '09 Saab Aero 9-7x (the Saab version of the TBSS) for my X5M. The Saab did well with the 275 45 20s Yokohama Paradas, but not as well as the X5M with Vredestein snows.
      12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devimik View Post
Got a few inches of snow, which followed rain, so under the snow was ice, in Kansas City last week. I was able to get my 20" Pirelli Winter Carving run flat snows on and they are excellent - spent last Thursday driving around on unsalted, unplowed streets with no worries - very stable and surefooted. Nice ride too, especially for snow tires.
Kansas City
My X5 Sport rolled around like a tank on Contis DWS non-RFT. I was very confortable on the Kansas 435/35 loop, solid ice. I looked at other SUVs in the rear view mirror, seeing them swirving at 50mph was hillarious. SUV with cheap tires = false confidence on snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35i Sports Activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Kansas City
My X5 Sport rolled around like a tank on Contis DWS non-RFT. I was very confortable on the Kansas 435/35 loop, solid ice. I looked at other SUVs in the rear view mirror, seeing them swirving at 50mph was hillarious. SUV with cheap tires = false confidence on snow.
Cool neighbor yeah, people think I'm crazy getting a separate set of snows, but good tires do make a huge difference. I especially didn't want my wife, or myself for that matter, driving on icy snowy roads on the Dunlop Sport Maxx summer rubber - I know that would suck. I once had a Z3 roadster with summer tires, the first winter I was here back in 2002 and almost killed myself driving to the airport where I35 turns left to get on 635 before the roads were plowed. Spun the car in circles and ended up 60 yards off the interstate in the grass - learned my lesson then.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devimik View Post
Cool neighbor yeah, people think I'm crazy getting a separate set of snows, but good tires do make a huge difference. I especially didn't want my wife, or myself for that matter, driving on icy snowy roads on the Dunlop Sport Maxx summer rubber - I know that would suck. I once had a Z3 roadster with summer tires, the first winter I was here back in 2002 and almost killed myself driving to the airport where I35 turns left to get on 635 before the roads were plowed. Spun the car in circles and ended up 60 yards off the interstate in the grass - learned my lesson then.
You should try Contis DWS for year round. I threw away my Duns after they balded after 15k miles. I believe you can get a ticket for being stuck, if you're running summer tires in Kansas so it's a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
GoHawks63
Rep
Drives: X5

I posted the following in the other forum.

I mentioned on here before that our CPO 2011 Premium replaced our old faithful and trusty 2004 Land Cruiser that was a beast in bad weather. While the X5 and the Land Cruiser are meant to be different vehicles, we still were hoping for decent handling in the snow (otherwise would have bought a different kind of vehicle).

Well got a chance to test it out the other night. Halfway into our trip back last night from Chicago to southeast Michigan we drove right into that winter storm that has made it's way through the nation.

I of course have a healthy respect for winter driving and wasn't driving like an idiot as some of my other 4wd counterparts were (many of which I drove by as they were in a ditch).

The X5 was stable and surefooted through the snow-packed/icy roads through lower Michigan.

I was pretty pleased. It never felt "greasy" or squirrelly.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #12
BimmerJeep
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 2007 3.0 Diesel

Blizzaks

I have Blizzaks on 18" wheels, its a snow monster hehe The traction control on this car is amazing, had 2 wheels off the ground and it just locked those wheels and power went to the 2 wheels on the ground/snow... amazing car.

Although my 41" Jeep Wrangler 1990 V8 is the winner
Appreciate 0