XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Sound will come back... They are performance brakes made to stop a 2 and a half ton vehicle. Name another vehicle on the road that weighs as much as your X6/5 M and can stop in such a short distance. Not to mention last during long periods of abuse.

To keep the sound away you will need to replace pads often. Well before they are worn.
Yah...I tend to agree that the sound will probably come back. In a brake system, one have to pick between performance and comfort (sound, feel, dust, etc).....generaly. This is a special high performance brake system with awesome stopping powers, so the ratio of choices is skewed toward the perfomance side. Race car brakes are not "comfort oriented" and it's one sacrafice to make if we want awesome stopping power on this beast. I certainly don't want to sacrafice my braking distance just so the sound will go away.....

This brings me to a side rant that I aways have. Does anyone remember that the e46 M3 has a different braking system between the European version and the North American version? The Europe version had the 4 pot floating calipers with crossdrilled (or was it slotted?) system, while we here in the states gets the watered down "non-performance" version? That was (as far as I know) because BMW does not want to deal with warranty issues because the performance version will have noises and performance issues when cold. Meaning that BMW feel that there will be too many complaints on the brakes because of the type of people that will own these M vehicles. There is always a saying that goes "Not all M owners are M pilots." M cars always blurrs the line between a street car and a track car, so in short, one should not expect a "luxury" car when purchasing an M

PS, I am just refering to M cars and performance/track vehicles. Other vehicles that sqeaks have many, many pad options to stop noise and dust because the ultimate performance aspect is not the main focus.

Last edited by itsme123; 02-28-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
spdfrk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M/2011 X5.35d

Alright! BMW Canada has a bulletin out to their dealers about the squeaky noise for the brakes. If the dealer is pushed hard enough then they will change the front pads and service the rear free of charge. However, if your mileage exceeds over 20,000k then BMW Canada will not warranty the brakes as it is considered wear and tear.

This bulletin has been out since mid Dec '10'. I complained to my dealer about the noise in mid Jan '11' when a cold snap came to town and they never mentioned about any 20,000k threshold so I waited the 8 days to get a loaner. I brought my X6M in for service at 20,515k and they dropped the 'it's not covered under warranty, sorry' card. Man can I tell you how pissed I was.

None the less after some tough negotiating they serviced the brakes and no more squeaking for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Spoke to a SA at the local dealer and he confirmed that there is a bulletin about the brakes He said that they will most likely replace the pads. I am going in next week and will post an update.

Did not mention anything about the 20,000km limit but I am way under that still. It's a shame that they don't call customers to inform them of this bulletin!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
alanchsu
Rep
Drives: M5

same here

same here, the service didn't do nothing to it.
I have X6 50i.
It's a leasing car, 1 more winter, then it's not my problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

i had same problem, but dealer fixed that by putting lots of anti rattle paste(yellow color grease)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Brought my car in yesterday. The front brake pads were replaced for free because the old ones have a defect which makes them so loud. So far they have been perfect but it is not cold enough to really tell for sure. Will update if I hear anything.

For those wondering, the part # is 34-11-6-799-964. I suggest anyone having this brake issue to bring their truck in and complain, at the very least you will get a new set of pads for free
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeorge View Post
Had the same problem; brakes squealed like a banchie when I backed out of the garage in the early am. Wife loved it as it woke her up everyday at 6. Dealer said common problem on x5 and x6 M models. They replaced pads and rotors and so far so good since.....
Hello,
Just wanted to know if BMW changes the pads and rotors under warranty ? Im having the same problem here in Costa Rica where temp never goes so low, there is a recall # for this issue ?

thanks
Bernie
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #30
mohammed x5m
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
not an X6 M but my X5 M does the same and its only 40+ out.
yea mee too... try to change your breakes
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

just had my brakes and rotors replaced, and noise started, never had it before - NEVER
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed x5m View Post
yea mee too... try to change your breakes
I lemoned the sucker and got rid of it lol

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfrk View Post
Does anyone else have this problem? When the temperature gets below -5 cel the breaks make an awful squeaking!
replaced under warranty, new part # so they are not replacing with the same item
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Mine was doing the same when we had 10 or less degree F cold snap here a few weeks back here in Germany. Once it warmed up, no issues. Seems to be the trend from talking with others.
      02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
My 2010 X6 35 brakes started squealing badly about 9 months ago. When BMW didn't have any good answer for me and saying it's normal, I went to mechanic. There, I was told the rotors and brake pads were just fine but I had them resurfaced in hope it would help. It did not

When the weather is rainy, the squealing is embarrassing. It makes me not want to drive the car. My wife's brakes on her brand new 535 just squeaked a little the other day and I am afraid they will start doing the same.

I understand that these are performance brakes but squeaky brakes are not the kind of head turns you drive a BMW for.

Has anyone installed aftermarket rotors and brake pads to resolve this?
Appreciate 0