XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #23
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

You got to drive one - I mean you have to do it.

I've seen all kinds of reviews on the x6 - like others have said you either like it or you don't.

When I drove an X6 50i it had been a while since I'd been in a real performance car that could handle as well. The salesman took it out first and put it through it paces just to give an idea of what it was capable of, and I have to tell you I almost sh*t my pants. The thing took turns and accelerated like crazy, and the dude didn't even bat and eye.

Then I got in the driver's seat and being unfamiliar with the car that wasn't mine anyway, I was putting around like a granny. He kept telling me to push it harder, and frankly I don't do that right away with a car I've never driven before - had too many bad experiences of finding the edge and almost killing myself. It takes me a couple weeks of driving under different conditions, then go full tilt. But he kept pushing so I finally gave in and it's amazing how forgiving the car was.

The other thing was the driving position - I know I didn't have the seat position quite right (I'm 6'-1") and would have to work with it. Standing next to the car, you get a sense of it being reasonable tall so you expect it to be like a normal SUV, but seated in the driving position it felt like a sports car.

Some have mentioned the blind spots, but frankly that wasn't may experience. You have at least 180 degrees from the driver's position, and the mirrors are large. The rear window wasn't an issue either. I'm sure the rear camera is a must for parking. Maybe a longer driving test would make me feel different about but I don't think so.

Here's a Motoweek review on youtube.

Do yourself a favor, drive one then decide.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #24
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Thanks guys , I actually like my 335 coupe but after almost 3 years I want something different .
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #25
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Floating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksel View Post
I picked up my new X6 about a month ago. I love the look of it, a real grunty stance. I have only done 400km in so far and it is averaging 10.4ltrs/100km on a combined city highway run. There has only been a couple of downsides I have noticed, one being it's size making it almost impossible to fit into many parking bays comfortably and secondly, it seems to "float". On occasions I have felt a loss of control over the vehicle as it feels to be floating on a cushion of air. Lots of other comments on the forum about how great it's handling is....but for me...not the same experience. Also, be mindful when opening the boot hatch, if the adjustment is at full height, watch not to hit low ceilings.
Overall, early days, but it has won me over!!
Hope you have the adaptive drive. Engage the "sport " button behind the shifter & u'll notice it can handle speed bumps incredibly well with tight bounces without bottoming out.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Hope you have the adaptive drive. Engage the "sport " button behind the shifter & u'll notice it can handle speed bumps incredibly well with tight bounces without bottoming out.
sport button behind the shifter?! I have to move the shifter to the left to get that. Are you talkin' about the x6 or the touareg here?

Behind the shifter (closer to driver) is the Idrive knob. . if I remember well.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipill View Post
Thanks guys , I actually like my 335 coupe but after almost 3 years I want something different .
Mine was a similar situation. I had a 650i coupe which I loved, but when the lease was up it was time to look for a new car. Having had an E39 M5 and 540i Sport before, I opted for the X6 with its 4 doors and more usable space vs. a coupe.

A must say I absolutely LOVE the car. The ride is fantastic! There are some things I would recommend to really maximize the experience:
1) Order the car with Sport Package - This will give you a more firm ride without being harsh. I've always ordered my BMWs with sport packages because I find the normal suspension a little soft.
2) Get Active Steering. My last car had it and I was sold! It makes in-city driving and garage parking a breeze and also helps stabilize the car on the highway.
3) Get the rear camera. The car has a huge blind spot so you'll need it when backing up or parking.
4) Get the comfort seats! I missed them from my E39 540i since they were not available in both my E39 M5 and 650i. This is a truly remarkable seat with infinite adjustments. My favor it part is what I believe the call articulated back rest. Basically, the upper part of the seat back can move independently of the entire seatback allowing you to wrap the seat around your back and gently support your shoulders. It's sublime!
5) Other options which I really like are soft-close doors and comfort access, neither of which were available when I picked up my 650i. Soft-close would have been extremely helpful in a coupe where the larger door swing would sometimes give me a half-closed door.

The car is incredibly comfortable to drive, much more so than a coupe where you are closer to the ground and closer to the rear wheels. I opted for the 6 cylinder rather than keep my tradition of V8's. I found that with my typical commute, I wasn't getting the most out of a V8 and with gas prices rising it made more sense for such a heavy car.

The only downsides with this car I would say are its weight, which you sometimes feel getting off the line or when accelerating, and the 4x4 which clearly has much more mechanical linkages than the rear-wheel drives I was used to. Generally though, the car doesn't really feel heavy, but occasionally it will remind you of its weight.

Finally, choose your color wisely! I spend a lot of time deciding what color to get for a car as certain colors make or break a car. Although I tend to favor dark colors with light interiors, the X6 was a departure for me. I ordered it sight-unseen (other than photos on this site) in Mineral Silver. It is absolutely stunning in that color! I can't tell you how many complements I've received on the car and its color. My Sales Manager also said its the most beautiful color he's seen it in. But of course color is a particular choice, so just find one that you really think makes the car. Hint: the car has some beautiful lines and creases, so find a color that lets these stand out. If you check some of my previous posts, you'll see what my car looks like.

Remember, whatever you decide, you can't go wrong! Its a fun car, a comfortable car, with an aggressive stance that you'll undoubtedly enjoy for several years or more!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #28
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Mine was a similar situation. I had a 650i coupe which I loved, but when the lease was up it was time to look for a new car. Having had an E39 M5 and 540i Sport before, I opted for the X6 with its 4 doors and more usable space vs. a coupe.

A must say I absolutely LOVE the car. The ride is fantastic! There are some things I would recommend to really maximize the experience:
1) Order the car with Sport Package - This will give you a more firm ride without being harsh. I've always ordered my BMWs with sport packages because I find the normal suspension a little soft.
2) Get Active Steering. My last car had it and I was sold! It makes in-city driving and garage parking a breeze and also helps stabilize the car on the highway.
3) Get the rear camera. The car has a huge blind spot so you'll need it when backing up or parking.
4) Get the comfort seats! I missed them from my E39 540i since they were not available in both my E39 M5 and 650i. This is a truly remarkable seat with infinite adjustments. My favor it part is what I believe the call articulated back rest. Basically, the upper part of the seat back can move independently of the entire seatback allowing you to wrap the seat around your back and gently support your shoulders. It's sublime!
5) Other options which I really like are soft-close doors and comfort access, neither of which were available when I picked up my 650i. Soft-close would have been extremely helpful in a coupe where the larger door swing would sometimes give me a half-closed door.

The car is incredibly comfortable to drive, much more so than a coupe where you are closer to the ground and closer to the rear wheels. I opted for the 6 cylinder rather than keep my tradition of V8's. I found that with my typical commute, I wasn't getting the most out of a V8 and with gas prices rising it made more sense for such a heavy car.

The only downsides with this car I would say are its weight, which you sometimes feel getting off the line or when accelerating, and the 4x4 which clearly has much more mechanical linkages than the rear-wheel drives I was used to. Generally though, the car doesn't really feel heavy, but occasionally it will remind you of its weight.

Finally, choose your color wisely! I spend a lot of time deciding what color to get for a car as certain colors make or break a car. Although I tend to favor dark colors with light interiors, the X6 was a departure for me. I ordered it sight-unseen (other than photos on this site) in Mineral Silver. It is absolutely stunning in that color! I can't tell you how many complements I've received on the car and its color. My Sales Manager also said its the most beautiful color he's seen it in. But of course color is a particular choice, so just find one that you really think makes the car. Hint: the car has some beautiful lines and creases, so find a color that lets these stand out. If you check some of my previous posts, you'll see what my car looks like.

Remember, whatever you decide, you can't go wrong! Its a fun car, a comfortable car, with an aggressive stance that you'll undoubtedly enjoy for several years or more!

very helpful tips, Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
sport button behind the shifter?! I have to move the shifter to the left to get that. Are you talkin' about the x6 or the touareg here?

Behind the shifter (closer to driver) is the Idrive knob. . if I remember well.
Oh,dear friend...this is adaptive drive button-sport-behind the shifter and when you press it you get -sport- behind speedometer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
M Lover
lovvvvvinnn ITTT!!!!!!!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Stock

I think it looks awesome, Want to get one for my wife before the end of the year
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

oh well. . for those with adaptive drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #32
harlem
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 530xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
+1 for the X6
x6 all the way!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I think the X6 is a great looking car - i am about to get one myself as well. I am going for the Jet Black color because i like that dark, deep black. My second choice would be the Space Gray.
I do like the new 640i Coupe as well, and here is a question for #APOLLNER - why did you get the X6 over the new 6 Coupe?
I have hard time choosing X6 or 6 coupe for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Regarding the new 6 Series Coupe, I actually prefer the previous style that I owned. To replace my current X6 whose lease is running out, I've actually ordered another X6 as I like the car so much! This time, I've opted for the BMW Individual Composition to vary it up a bit.
Appreciate 0