XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

X5M Delivered!!!

Finally picked up my new 2012 X5M two weeks ago and it has been an amazing few weeks.

Back in February I ordered a new 2012 X5 50i and at the time I looked at the M, but decided to try the 50i and see if it fit my needs and provided the performance and efficiency I was looking for. Although it has lived up to all my expectations, I have always had a lingering feeling that maybe I should have gone with the M instead. Well, it got the better of me and I decided it was time to upgrade. I still have my 50i and I have been alternating between the two of them regularly for comparison purposes. Below are some of my observations so far…

As far as options are concerned the M is fully loaded and the 50i is lightly equipped. Of all the additional options on the M my favorites are the Adaptive drive and the full leather interior. A brief review of some of the options is below:

Head-up Display:
Nice, but not a must have for me. Had it on my M5 as well and found myself not using it much then either. I find it most useful when navigation is on and instructions are right in front of you. The M drive display looks cool, but I still prefer watching the real tach when driving aggressively.

Premium Sound Package:
A few nice features like the equalizer and surround mode, but it is not significantly better than the high-fi system on the 50i. Overall a very nice system, but I would be perfectly happy without it.

Multi-Contour Seats:
Infinite adjustability and very easy to find the perfect driving position. I like the sport seats in the 50i as well, but these allow a little more fine tuning which is nice. The side bolsters on the lower cushion are smaller than the sport seats with makes entrance and exit from the vehicle slightly easier as well.

Active Ventilated Seat Package:
I really like this feature and think it is more effective than most people think. This is not intended to blow out cold air like the dash vents, but merely to circulate air between the seat and your back. It is very noticeable when wearing very thin clothing and works as advertised. A bit on the noisy side when set to max, but not enough to be a problem.

Active Seat (for driver):
Haven’t even pressed the button so I can’t comment on this one.

Cold Weather Package:
Weather has been warm and haven’t tested the heated steering wheel or heated rear seats.

Soft-close Automatic Doors:
A very neat feature which I am starting to get used to. I find myself leaving the door slightly open on the 50i now which is funny as I never thought this was a very useful option. All my passengers slam the doors as they normally would and I don’t even bother telling them about it. The ones that do hear the mechanism at work ask me what it is, but most don’t even know it is there. Not a must have option.

Side-view Camera:
I’ve used this twice just to see what it looks like, but I don’t see myself using it much if ever. Not sure what the real point of this is.

Full Merino Leather (with Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console):
This option has the biggest impact on the look and feel of the interior and really sets it apart from the std dash. There is a very upscale feel which is appreciated by everyone who sits in the car. Whether it is worth $3800 is another question, but there is no denying the impact it has on the interior. Very nice option.

Driving experience:
So far I have only accumulated 500 miles on the M, but it is very clear that it is built for an entirely different purpose when compared to the 50i. The various settings for throttle, steering, edc, etc. really transform the car at the push of a button. All comments below are with the M set to default “comfort” settings for everything.

The first thing I noticed when getting behind the wheel is the sound of the exhaust which is very different from the 50i. The 50i sounds like a traditional V8 and has an amazing cold-start sound. The M has a very unique sound during cold-start but it is not as loud and very different in tone. Once the M begins to warm up the revs drop and it becomes significantly quieter than the 50i which always has a very present exhaust note in the cabin. During normal around town driving the exhaust is always present in the 50i and not so on the M.

The next most obvious difference between the two is the steering feel. At first I was amazed at how different the two of them feel. The 50i has a very heavy steering wheel feel at any speed and very nice feedback. The M on the other hand has one of the lightest steering wheels I have experienced during low speed maneuvering. The feel is quite artificial and takes a bit to get used to. Once the speed increases, the weight increases and it quickly matches the 50i in feedback and precision. It is constantly varying which is the opposite of how I would like it. I prefer the very predictable constant weight on the 50i.

The next difference between the two is the engine and power delivery. Again, I was very surprised to see how different the engines behave in similar driving situations. Granted the 50i has the 8speed auto and the M has the 6speed auto, but even when driving them in manual mode in the same gear they feel very different. The 50i always has a feeling of immediately available torque at low revs. During daily driving you can apply slightly more throttle and regardless of speed or gear get a nice surge of torque and speed builds very quickly. The M develops its power very differently and feels slightly weaker at low revs but more capable as the revs begin to build. I sometimes find myself dropping a gear to get the same surge I get in the 50i when driving around town. I haven’t driven the M to its maximum potential, but it is clear that the engine really comes on strong at higher rpm which is the biggest weakness of the 50i.

The last significant difference between the two is the adaptive drive which really transforms the M into an M. With EDC set to comfort it is very comparable to the std suspension on 50i and not a huge improvement in ride comfort. With EDC set to sport however, the suspension firms up considerably and body roll becomes non-existent. The already good handling characteristics are increased considerably and this is where the two vehicles really become very different. The steering weight increases yet again and the body is precisely controlled through corners and any high speed maneuvers. Lane change speed increases dramatically and you are always in complete control. Very noticeable when driving the two back to back.

When the M settings are configured to maximum aggressiveness the true personality of this vehicle really comes into focus. The responsiveness of the throttle, steering, suspension increase along with the change in exhaust note to really transform it into a truly unique feat of engineering. It is undoubtedly a true M which instantly puts a smile on your face and leaves passengers wondering “what just happened?” This is how this vehicle was intended to be configured and driven.

As a side note, fuel consumption on my usual route of 80/20 highway/city split with heavy traffic on my commute home is right at 15mpg which is almost the same I get on the 50i. One big adjustment I have made is the speed at which I set the cruise control. On the 50i I set it at 75mph and rpm are well below 2K, but on the M I have to set it to 65mph to be right at 2K rpm. The 8speed really makes a difference here. I also noticed that on the M the mpg immediately begins to drop when driving more aggressively. So far I have been able to stretch a tank of gas to 300 miles which is very respectable compared to the 50i considering it has 2 less gears. It is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be after reading the horrible numbers posted by some members on here.

So far I am very happy with the upgrade and look forward to making it even better with a few upgrades! I have already installed the black performance grille and have more planned for the future!

A few pics I took are below...
Attached Images

Last edited by Maxx2; 09-17-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Very interesting and insightful comparison. Thank you! I have been looking into M as well for my next truck/car. Nice X5 collection btw.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
sarends
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Great comparison - thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
aktx
Stigs Trainer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 4.8i, 997.2 c4s e83 Msport

Great write up...

NOW time for the MODS!
Attached Images

'12 335i F30,11 e90 m sport, X5 4.8i w/20's, 335i Coupe, 10 911C4S, X3 Sport, 550 CLS, CLK 55, Saab 9.3, Crossfire, 96 M3, 94 968, 99 C43, 96 C280, 89 325is, 93 190e 2.6,95 Jetta VR6, 91 Corrado G60, 90 BMW 740il,88 Accord Coupe Lxi, 87 Mazda 323 GT, lynx
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

great write up can we see a pic of the 5.0 or maybe even side to side...ala little photo shoot
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep

ps sounds like u might like the 5.0 power delivery a bit more....dont get rid of it just yet!
lol
njoy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
great write up can we see a pic of the 5.0 or maybe even side to side...ala little photo shoot
Below are a few pics of my 50i. Haven't had both of them clean enough for a proper photoshoot. Maybe in the near future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
ps sounds like u might like the 5.0 power delivery a bit more....dont get rid of it just yet!
lol
njoy
To be perfectly honest, during my daily commute and routine tasks I would pick the 50i over the M.

If on the other hand I feel like having some all out fun there is no doubt in my mind which keys I'm going to grab!! With the M set to all out attack mode there is no comparison...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

congrats on the purchase, a tune will solve your power cravings in the M and take your beast to another level. enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Wow. A friend of mine (who has the same X6 as me) and I were just talking about how we thought maybe the M would have been a better choice. Our main issue is the lag when asking for power around 2K. Off the line and almost any other time, the power is perfect. My specific comments/questions to your observations. Note I have an X6 50i with a lot of options (not loaded but close).

Head-up Display:Nice, but not a must have for me. Had it on my M5 as well and found myself not using it much then either. I find it most useful when navigation is on and instructions are right in front of you.
Really? I also had it in my M5 and became addicted to it. I can't imagine having a car without it. Maybe because the steering wheel blocks my speed, but it is just so nice to have.

Premium Sound Package:A few nice features like the equalizer and surround mode, but it is not significantly better than the high-fi system on the 50i.
No way - are you saying you have the base sound system in the 50i and it is similar? I have the upgraded sound in my X6 and think it sounds amazing. That's pretty darn cool that the base system is that good (although I'm out the cash )

Multi-Contour Seats:Infinite adjustability and very easy to find the perfect driving position. I like the sport seats in the 50i as well, but these allow a little more fine tuning which is nice. The side bolsters on the lower cushion are smaller than the sport seats with makes entrance and exit from the vehicle slightly easier as well.
If I had the sport seats my wife (5' 2" would never be able to get in or out of the car. However the multi-contour seats while very comfortable, cause my legs and back to go into spasms at exactly the 3 hour mark. I then need to take a 20 minute break and I'm good for another 3 hours.

Active Ventilated Seat Package:I really like this feature and think it is more effective than most people think. This is not intended to blow out cold air like the dash vents, but merely to circulate air between the seat and your back. It is very noticeable when wearing very thin clothing and works as advertised. A bit on the noisy side when set to max, but not enough to be a problem.
Count me in on the other side of this. I think they are worthless. Not sure where you live - but maybe it has something to do with humidity. I'm thinking in drier areas they might do better?

Active Seat (for driver):Haven’t even pressed the button so I can’t comment on this one.
Remember what I said about the 3 hour mark? Press this button and you will get there in 30 minutes. It is like torture.

Cold Weather Package:Weather has been warm and haven’t tested the heated steering wheel or heated rear seats.
Heated steering wheel is probably the best darn feature in this car.

Soft-close Automatic Doors:A very neat feature which I am starting to get used to. I find myself leaving the door slightly open on the 50i now which is funny as I never thought this was a very useful option. All my passengers slam the doors as they normally would and I don’t even bother telling them about it. The ones that do hear the mechanism at work ask me what it is, but most don’t even know it is there. Not a must have option.
Still for $600 I so wish I had ordered. Didn't know how nice this feature was until I had to deal with it during the PCD.

Side-view Camera:I’ve used this twice just to see what it looks like, but I don’t see myself using it much if ever. Not sure what the real point of this is.
Worthless - unless you live in an big city and are pulling out of parking garages onto streets a lot. I've used mine twice for this and been very impressed. Oh yes, also pulling out into a blind street (say you are crossing a street and the traffic nearest you has let you go, but now you need to look into the opposite direction without putting the entire hood of your car in harms way. Then this feature works and works nicely. I still would not pay for it, but as part of a package it is ok.

This option has the biggest impact on the look and feel of the interior and really sets it apart from the std dash. There is a very upscale feel which is appreciated by everyone who sits in the car. Whether it is worth $3800 is another question, but there is no denying the impact it has on the interior. Very nice option.

The dash in my $84K X6 is not as nice as the dash in my wife's 2006 MDX. The leather dash is so nice - but so expensive. Should be standard.

The first thing I noticed when getting behind the wheel is the sound of the exhaust which is very different from the 50i. The 50i sounds like a traditional V8 and has an amazing cold-start sound. The M has a very unique sound during cold-start but it is not as loud and very different in tone. Once the M begins to warm up the revs drop and it becomes significantly quieter than the 50i which always has a very present exhaust note in the cabin. During normal around town driving the exhaust is always present in the 50i and not so on the M.
Wow, this makes me feel a lot better about my choice. As you know the sound on the 50i is just so sweet. Can't believe the M is quieter.

The next most obvious difference between the two is the steering feel. At first I was amazed at how different the two of them feel. The 50i has a very heavy steering wheel feel at any speed and very nice feedback. The M on the other hand has one of the lightest steering wheels I have experienced during low speed maneuvering. The feel is quite artificial and takes a bit to get used to. Once the speed increases, the weight increases and it quickly matches the 50i in feedback and precision. It is constantly varying which is the opposite of how I would like it. I prefer the very predictable constant weight on the 50i.
I got the active steering because I found the steering on the X5 (I did not drive an X6 without AS) to be ponderous. I could not believe how hard it was to turn the wheel. Although a nice workout for the arms, I have many tight turns where I live and am positive I would have hated it. The X5M I drove did have nice steering however (lighter). The AS on the X6 (and I'm guessing on the X5) lightens things up nicely, but it is still very direct at speed.

The next difference between the two is the engine and power delivery. Again, I was very surprised to see how different the engines behave in similar driving situations. Granted the 50i has the 8speed auto and the M has the 6speed auto, but even when driving them in manual mode in the same gear they feel very different. The 50i always has a feeling of immediately available torque at low revs. During daily driving you can apply slightly more throttle and regardless of speed or gear get a nice surge of torque and speed builds very quickly. The M develops its power very differently and feels slightly weaker at low revs but more capable as the revs begin to build. I sometimes find myself dropping a gear to get the same surge I get in the 50i when driving around town. I haven’t driven the M to its maximum potential, but it is clear that the engine really comes on strong at higher rpm which is the biggest weakness of the 50i.
WOW, once again, amazing. I never would have thought this. Per BMW the M actually makes its torque sooner. I'm guessing the 6 speed trans has everything to do with this. I'm shocked (and yet pleased )

The last significant difference between the two is the adaptive drive which really transforms the M into an M. With EDC set to comfort it is very comparable to the std suspension on 50i and not a huge improvement in ride comfort. With EDC set to sport however, the suspension firms up considerably and body roll becomes non-existent. The already good handling characteristics are increased considerably and this is where the two vehicles really become very different. The steering weight increases yet again and the body is precisely controlled through corners and any high speed maneuvers. Lane change speed increases dramatically and you are always in complete control. Very noticeable when driving the two back to back.
I got the AD on my X6 (was affordable last year, not so much this year). I honestly did not know the M came with it until a few days ago. I still feel like I'm driving a truck - a very capable truck, but still, a truck. But you do make me feel better about the purchase of this option.

When the M settings are configured to maximum aggressiveness the true personality of this vehicle really comes into focus. The responsiveness of the throttle, steering, suspension increase along with the change in exhaust note to really transform it into a truly unique feat of engineering. It is undoubtedly a true M which instantly puts a smile on your face and leaves passengers wondering “what just happened?” This is how this vehicle was intended to be configured and driven.
I of course get none of this. My X6 has the M button delete option (called the 50i package)

Great post - thank you for the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
congrats on the purchase, a tune will solve your power cravings in the M and take your beast to another level. enjoy!
Do you have a tune on your M? I will definitely be exploring what the best tunes are in the very near future. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Wow. A friend of mine (who has the same X6 as me) and I were just talking about how we thought maybe the M would have been a better choice. Our main issue is the lag when asking for power around 2K. Off the line and almost any other time, the power is perfect. My specific comments/questions to your observations. Note I have an X6 50i with a lot of options (not loaded but close).Obviously this is just my quick opinion of these options and it really comes down to your individual preferences. Personally, I don't need a car with every single option ticked off to be happy, but there are some that I must have.

Head-up Display:Nice, but not a must have for me. Had it on my M5 as well and found myself not using it much then either. I find it most useful when navigation is on and instructions are right in front of you.
Really? I also had it in my M5 and became addicted to it. I can't imagine having a car without it. Maybe because the steering wheel blocks my speed, but it is just so nice to have.I guess this option makes perfect sense in some instances, but not so much when diplaying just your speed 12 inches above the actual speedometer while cruising at 65mph. I do think it is extremely useful with navigation on though.

Premium Sound Package:A few nice features like the equalizer and surround mode, but it is not significantly better than the high-fi system on the 50i.
No way - are you saying you have the base sound system in the 50i and it is similar? I have the upgraded sound in my X6 and think it sounds amazing. That's pretty darn cool that the base system is that good (although I'm out the cash )The "base" sound system you refer to was replaced for the LCI with a slightly upgraded "hi-fi" system. The new "hi-fi" system in the 50i is no audiophile system by any stretch, but more than adequate. Again, it really comes down to personal preference and what type of music you listen to and how you like it to sound. The premium system is hands down a better system.

Multi-Contour Seats:Infinite adjustability and very easy to find the perfect driving position. I like the sport seats in the 50i as well, but these allow a little more fine tuning which is nice. The side bolsters on the lower cushion are smaller than the sport seats with makes entrance and exit from the vehicle slightly easier as well.
If I had the sport seats my wife (5' 2" would never be able to get in or out of the car. However the multi-contour seats while very comfortable, cause my legs and back to go into spasms at exactly the 3 hour mark. I then need to take a 20 minute break and I'm good for another 3 hours.Haven't driven either car for any extended road trips so can't really comment.

Active Ventilated Seat Package:I really like this feature and think it is more effective than most people think. This is not intended to blow out cold air like the dash vents, but merely to circulate air between the seat and your back. It is very noticeable when wearing very thin clothing and works as advertised. A bit on the noisy side when set to max, but not enough to be a problem.
Count me in on the other side of this. I think they are worthless. Not sure where you live - but maybe it has something to do with humidity. I'm thinking in drier areas they might do better?My understanding of this option is that it is intended to help air circulate around and not cause you to sweat. The fact that you can still activate the seat ventilation even with the entire climate control system turned off confirms that it is not supposed to "cool" the seat, but just help move air around.

Active Seat (for driver):Haven’t even pressed the button so I can’t comment on this one.
Remember what I said about the 3 hour mark? Press this button and you will get there in 30 minutes. It is like torture.Does this make the seat more or less comfortable on long trips?

Cold Weather Package:Weather has been warm and haven’t tested the heated steering wheel or heated rear seats.
Heated steering wheel is probably the best darn feature in this car.Agreed. Although I haven't used it in this car my previous cars had it and it is a dream in the cold Northeast winters.

Soft-close Automatic Doors:A very neat feature which I am starting to get used to. I find myself leaving the door slightly open on the 50i now which is funny as I never thought this was a very useful option. All my passengers slam the doors as they normally would and I don’t even bother telling them about it. The ones that do hear the mechanism at work ask me what it is, but most don’t even know it is there. Not a must have option.
Still for $600 I so wish I had ordered. Didn't know how nice this feature was until I had to deal with it during the PCD.I consider this a "cool" feature to show off to friends and not a must have, but for $600 I guess you're right.

Side-view Camera:I’ve used this twice just to see what it looks like, but I don’t see myself using it much if ever. Not sure what the real point of this is.
Worthless - unless you live in an big city and are pulling out of parking garages onto streets a lot. I've used mine twice for this and been very impressed. Oh yes, also pulling out into a blind street (say you are crossing a street and the traffic nearest you has let you go, but now you need to look into the opposite direction without putting the entire hood of your car in harms way. Then this feature works and works nicely. I still would not pay for it, but as part of a package it is ok.Not sure if I'll get much use out of this.

The dash in my $84K X6 is not as nice as the dash in my wife's 2006 MDX. The leather dash is so nice - but so expensive. Should be standard.Agreed. For that kind of money it should be standard, but BMW knows people are willing to pay extra for it so....

Wow, this makes me feel a lot better about my choice. As you know the sound on the 50i is just so sweet. Can't believe the M is quieter.With the M set to to sport mode the exhaust does become louder, but the tone is very different and never matches the 50i's presence. Just my opinion of course.

I got the active steering because I found the steering on the X5 (I did not drive an X6 without AS) to be ponderous. I could not believe how hard it was to turn the wheel. Although a nice workout for the arms, I have many tight turns where I live and am positive I would have hated it. The X5M I drove did have nice steering however (lighter). The AS on the X6 (and I'm guessing on the X5) lightens things up nicely, but it is still very direct at speed.Very noticeable difference between the 50i and the M. As you mentioned, the steering on the 50i without AS is quite heavy at low speeds (which I like) and remains consistent all the way up to speed. I prefer the linear feel over the greatly reduced effort of the M at very low speed.

WOW, once again, amazing. I never would have thought this. Per BMW the M actually makes its torque sooner. I'm guessing the 6 speed trans has everything to do with this. I'm shocked (and yet pleased )I think the 6spd vs 8spd has a lot to do with the torque "feel" when crusing around. The M quickly moves into 6th even at relatively low speeds whereas the 50i hangs around 5th/6th sometimes and only hits 8th at higher speed. I'm going to plot the gear vs engine speed vs road speed for both and see where it falls on the torque curves for each.

I got the AD on my X6 (was affordable last year, not so much this year). I honestly did not know the M came with it until a few days ago. I still feel like I'm driving a truck - a very capable truck, but still, a truck. But you do make me feel better about the purchase of this option.I know the M version of adaptive drive is heavily revised for a more performance oriented driving, but the the system works as advertised and really enhances the feel of control especially at higher speeds.

I of course get none of this. My X6 has the M button delete option (called the 50i package) Having both now and driving them regularly I can confidently say the 50i is an amazingly capable vehicle. It can't hit the extreme numbers of the M, but I have a new appreciation for what it can do even without the M badge!

Great post - thank you for the comparison.
Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by Maxx2; 09-18-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Maxx2;12699072]Do you have a tune on your M? I will definitely be exploring what the best tunes are in the very near future. Thanks.

Yeah I'm running dinan on mine, it puts out great power and hauls ass but the main reason I went with dinan was for the warranty. This is my daily so I needed it. Def recommend them if you need some assurance incase something breaks. My SA told me stage 2 comes out next spring which I cant wait for. If you dont need the warranty assurance I recommend you look at northern2020's car and Dansarkis' thats the only other way I'd have it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Give Velos Designwerks a worthy look. Omar and his team will take very good care of you and warranty isn't even an issue as you can return to stock ECU at any point and it's not detectable.
I am enjoying my Velos flash and yea the Monster is absolutely Jekyll and Hyde.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Congrats boss, really happy for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Rod27
Rep
Drives: X50i ZMP/ZMX

Great write up......I have the 50i with ZMP/ZMX and love the instant torque, and the 19mpg ain't bad either. It only has 2000 miles so I expect the engine to loosen up and get better mileage. I always thought the M's biggest negative is the gas mileage, which means 25% more trips to the gas station cuz they didn't increase the tank size. Your fuel mileage pleasantly surprised me.

If I wanted to drive a race car I'd just get in my CLKBS.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Congrats boss, really happy for you.
Thanks Omar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
Great write up......I have the 50i with ZMP/ZMX and love the instant torque, and the 19mpg ain't bad either. It only has 2000 miles so I expect the engine to loosen up and get better mileage. I always thought the M's biggest negative is the gas mileage, which means 25% more trips to the gas station cuz they didn't increase the tank size. Your fuel mileage pleasantly surprised me.

Thanks.

On my usual weekly commute I never got more than 15-16mpg on my 50i and my X5M matches that easily. I'm sure the difference would be greater on extended highway trips, but I don't have much of that so I really don't have any complaints. I was pleasantly surprised as well having read many posts regarding the poor gas mileage. I only have 1000 miles on it and I was able to hit 310 miles on my last tank of gas. Not too shabby!

I used to have a modified 996 Turbo as a weekend only toy and that was as close to a race car as I've been. The X5M will never compare to that, but it is an extremely capable SAV and makes one hell of a daily driver!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
Thanks Omar!!

Thanks.

On my usual weekly commute I never got more than 15-16mpg on my 50i and my X5M matches that easily. I'm sure the difference would be greater on extended highway trips, but I don't have much of that so I really don't have any complaints. I was pleasantly surprised as well having read many posts regarding the poor gas mileage. I only have 1000 miles on it and I was able to hit 310 miles on my last tank of gas. Not too shabby!

I used to have a modified 996 Turbo as a weekend only toy and that was as close to a race car as I've been. The X5M will never compare to that, but it is an extremely capable SAV and makes one hell of a daily driver!!
Wow, I never came anywhere close to 310 miles on a tank when I had the M. Driven similarly, I find the 50i has vastly better gas mileage, even with the Dinan tune...a good 50% improvement for me over the M.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post

Start a thread with ur pics...dont be stingy!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
abbott456
750bhp x5m, am i the first in NA?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [9.34]
you should do something to it for sure.
check out mine
750bhp now
Attached Images

2011 BMW X6 35i Base w Sport Pkg -Gone
2009 BMW X6 50i Full Loaded -Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott456 View Post
check out mine
750bhp now

BEAST!! looks great
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott456 View Post
check out mine
750bhp now
Can you provide more details on what you've done to get it to 750hp? Have you put it on a dyno?

Very impressive!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
abbott456
750bhp x5m, am i the first in NA?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
Can you provide more details on what you've done to get it to 750hp? Have you put it on a dyno?

Very impressive!!!
still waiting to get the car complete. brembo kit is on shipping (yellow). wanna get everything thing done before putting on the dyno. btw, still got almost full tank of 94 gas need to get ride off and put on 110 racing gas.

ps: changed the turbos, manifold, downpipes and dme tuning
2011 BMW X6 35i Base w Sport Pkg -Gone
2009 BMW X6 50i Full Loaded -Gone
Appreciate 0