XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
mahfuz
Rep
Drives: X6

Exclamation GPS module

Hi guys,

I am a happy owner of a 2009 BMW X6 50i. The only problem is the lack of a GPS module, as BMW do not allow us to buy that (Actualy, for X6 they just let us choose internal and external colour).

My car has the map DVD on the front panel, but no gps module at all (I dont see navigation on the idrive screen).

BMW has legal problems to make Brazilian maps avaible, so they dont have officialy any map. However, after some research I found a way to use Teleatlas maps if you install the system.

My problem now is to install the module, is there a way?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Verboten GPS!

Does Brazilian gov't think with installation of GPS, u'll turn the Sport Activity Panzer into Weapon of Mass Destruction?
Drive the SAP to another country, where auto GPS is not considered as military hardware, install it, drive back.
The bureaucrats just wants to tax u more for the privilege!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

mahfuz, sorry can't be much help here but think archwerks idea is a good one...

Guess Brazilian government has never heard of Google maps. Wonder what they would do if they knew you could send Google maps to your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

interesting info.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
mahfuz
Rep

Brazilian law is absolute ridiculous!

No car manufacture can have sell any maps for their OEM GPS systems here in Brazil. It is so absurd that BMW has just announced their "original" system (That is only a normal portable GPS, like TomTom).

I dont need to go to another country, as I can buy everything on the Internet, I just need the part numbers. My car has no gps module, but it has the DVD entrance on the front panel.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahfuz View Post
Brazilian law is absolute ridiculous!

No car manufacture can have sell any maps for their OEM GPS systems here in Brazil. It is so absurd that BMW has just announced their "original" system (That is only a normal portable GPS, like TomTom).

I dont need to go to another country, as I can buy everything on the Internet, I just need the part numbers. My car has no gps module, but it has the DVD entrance on the front panel.

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as simply buying a GPS module and plugging it into the car.

First, you would have to make sure that you have all the necessary wiring in place to hook up the additional module(s) (including the GPS antenna). Secondly and more importantly, you need to bring the car to an authorized BMW dealership that will then reprogram your car to accept and recognize the new hardware (GPS navigation system).

Now the wiring is something you could still retrofit yourself in case it isn't already in your car. However the reprogramming can only be done by a dealership that has the necessary tools (computer system) and software to reprogram your car!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

[quote=xDrive50i;4581645...
However the reprogramming can only be done by a dealership that has the necessary tools (computer system) and software to reprogram your car![/quote]

yes this is correct and as I learned with my recent battery/check engine light problem the dealer had to get the OK from BMW to reprogram the car. Seems like BMW is tracking mods to cars, not thrilled about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
yes this is correct and as I learned with my recent battery/check engine light problem the dealer had to get the OK from BMW to reprogram the car. Seems like BMW is tracking mods to cars, not thrilled about that.
Usually, they need the ok from BMW because of billing issues. The dealership doesn't want to have to pay for the time it takes to reprogram an entire car (as you probably found out the hard way, this can take a VERY long time).
Since the stealership wants to write this off as work done under warranty, they need the permission from BMW to go ahead and perform this work on the car.
Of course, all of this is tracked by vehicle, dealership that performed the work, what work was performed by whom, when and why... you get the idea
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

To keep the original programming, can't they attach a separate power source to the car, swap a new battery in, detach the separate power source. It may require 2 people to time the attachnent & detachment simultaneously.
Think this is what my dealer did. They swapped my x6 battery, but didn't have to reprogram the computer.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
mahfuz
Rep

I know I will have to bring the car to an authorized dealership, but this can be arranged. I have already talked with some of them... but they are not sure of witch parts I will need, and the cant sell that to me. I need all the part no., so I can buy then and bring the car to the dealerships.

I didnt know anything about BMW having to authorizing the reprograming... I dont think this is 100% necessaire, but I will check.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Interesting note on Brazil and GPS.

A while back I read the same thing happens in Japan. No iDrive at all.

A GPS unit mounts on the dash in front of the would be iDrive display.

I think the government standardized all GPS systems there.

Now when I checked the Japan web site, iDrive/Nav is integrated. So they must have found a way to inegrate Japan's requirements into the BMW system.
      02-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know I will have to bring the car to an authorized dealership, but this can be arranged. I have already talked with some of them... but they are not sure of witch parts I will need, and the cant sell that to me. I need all the part no., so I can buy then and bring the car to the dealerships.

I didnt know anything about BMW having to authorizing the reprograming... I dont think this is 100% necessaire, but I will check.

Honestly if your dealer doesn't know about the parts you better think a lot about doing this. The dealer NEEDS to know about the car or they can can do serious damage. The car WILL have to be programmed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

All electronic gadgets go the same way as 8 track tapes...
idrive in my 2008 x6 is almost obsolete as new idrive will have internet thru Google (?),so if gps is not integrated w/i drive in yours, get one that mounts on the dash & when they have the next super dooper model in 6 months from now, replace the old one, put the latest on the dash. Whereas we who have it built in are stuck w/it. Do u have heads up display? if not, just listening to voice, spkr. can be mounted anywhere. Idrive can be distracting w/ in dash screen.
B 4 u know it they'll have headsup display of a computer screen to replace half the stuff on the dash.

If i were u, I'd spend my money on bmw/porsche performance driving school.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Mahfuz, if you want also GPS security on you car, PM me! You have a cell phone, right!? You are ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
mahfuz
Rep

I know all of you are trying to help me and I know all my risks, but no one has posted the part no. yet...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
I know all of you are trying to help me and I know all my risks, but no one has posted the part no. yet...
What part number?! Mahfuz, get a GPS system from anywhere. . . You'll not have any trouble with your masonic government.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

unsubscribe
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
unsubscribe
Get a shiatsu. .
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
mahfuz
Rep

You dont get it... I want to use the GPS on my Idrive... I dont want another screen on my car...

I just need to retrofit the gps module
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #20
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I get it. . but since you cannot get that GPS on you Idrive officially, what can you do?
Appreciate 0