XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Wait for new Idrive, better wait for new NAV

If you have waited for the iDrive to come out (still don't get this) before ordering your X6 (or putting your order on hold) then I guess you will want to wait another year (or two) for the new NAV system....

link doesn't work anymore...

BMW to develop Intelligent Learning Navigation System
BMW is taking the navigation systems to the next level. They are currently working towards a new navigation system that will learn your driving patterns and adapt the destination based on the previously registered data. Anticipating your next destination is the idea behind this new navigation system.

The system is called ILENA, short for Intelligent Learning Navigation and according to BMW, it intends to record your daily driving habits, in order to increase the efficiency of your car. No privacy issues are mentioned at this point, but such a navigation system could raise many new questions. The navigation system in most of the cars are already able to broadcast your location through the GPS installed in these cars, but I am not aware of the possibility of permanently recording your daily routes.

This new intelligent navigation system seems to follow the steps of the airplanes’ black boxes, a device that records all the flights data and communication.

Andreas Winckler, a developer at BMW, told Spiegel Online, the hit rate of the Intelligent Learning Navigation System is now at almost 80 percent.

Last edited by dmlgc; 02-26-2009 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: update info link dead
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

always something new!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
If you have waited for the iDrive to come out (still don't get this) before ordering your X6 (or putting your order on hold) then I guess you will want to wait another year (or two) for the new NAV system....

BMW to develop Intelligent Learning Navigation System
That link doesn't seem to work (at least not for me). But I think I know what you linked to. It's been reported by sites like gizmodo and even on this forum site (other tread).

Don't know if I would like to have a predictive navigation system though...

I spend over an hour test driving the 750i today... all I can say is WOW!! What a sweet car. And even my wife was impressed with the new iDrive and told me that now she understands why I was waiting for it (on my now canceled X6 order)
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

If I had waited for the new iDrive, the X6 would have cost me $5k more.

No nav is worth that. I barely use it as it is. 99% of all drivers go to places they are already familiar with.

Last edited by chuck92103; 02-26-2009 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
If I had waited for the new iDrive, the X6 would ahve cost me $5k more.

No nav is worth that. I barely use it as it is. 99% of all drivers go to places they are already familiar with.
+1
my thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1
my thoughts exactly.
The money part doesn't really bother me. Heck I just spent another +40K more on this car over the X6!

To everyone his own...

I use the iDrive a LOT. Since I visit a LOT of different places and quite often I only have the longitude and latitude information available rather than street names or addresses. So yeah I WOULD definitely wait for the new iDrive. But then again, everyone has a different taste in color selection, car style and what is important to me might not be important to you. So I fully understand that you guys wouldn't want to wait for the new iDrive, but for me it IS important and I am glad I waited this long and decided to change my car.

If it would have been a different option that they had updated on the car, say a different entertainment system for the back seat, I would have NEVER waited this long, but the iDrive was a different story.

Anyway, after test driving the X6 and the 750, the 750 is definitely the car for me. The X6 is a great car in it's own but in terms of comfort, I like the 750 way more.

Anyway, lets get back to the topic at hand...

I wonder if BMW would offer this 'new' technology as a software upgrade for existing systems
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I use the iDrive a LOT. Since I visit a LOT of different places and quite often I only have the longitude and latitude information available rather than street names or addresses.
Usually when I've gone to somewhere by longitude and latitude, it's a military reservation not on any map. So I'll bite do you call in air strikes for a living ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Usually when I've gone to somewhere by longitude and latitude, it's a military reservation not on any map. So I'll bite do you call in air strikes for a living ?
Hahaha, nope... far from it, although sometimes I wish I could

I sometimes have to go out to Cell sites (towers, high rise buildings, etc). If it's a building, they usually provide me with a street address, but towers further out are usually referenced by their location (the nearest town, landmark, major street, etc) so that is fairly generic. All cell towers are also referenced by long/lat and hence if I want to know exactly where a specific tower is, I go by the long/lat.

Thankfully I don't have to go out to these sites quite as often anymore as I used to. But if one of my customers has some sort of 'crisis', then showing up in person always calms them down and shows them that I care
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha, nope... far from it, although sometimes I wish I could

I sometimes have to go out to Cell sites (towers, high rise buildings, etc). If it's a building, they usually provide me with a street address, but towers further out are usually referenced by their location (the nearest town, landmark, major street, etc) so that is fairly generic. All cell towers are also referenced by long/lat and hence if I want to know exactly where a specific tower is, I go by the long/lat.

Thankfully I don't have to go out to these sites quite as often anymore as I used to. But if one of my customers has some sort of 'crisis', then showing up in person always calms them down and shows them that I care

I assume your 750 has some version of idrive and a nav system, have you tried looking the long/lat up in google maps and sending to your car ? actually hadn't thought of that before will have to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I assume your 750 has some version of idrive and a nav system, have you tried looking the long/lat up in google maps and sending to your car ? actually hadn't thought of that before will have to try it out.
Unfortunately, Google maps only sends coordinates associated with an address to your car. It would be nice if the 'send to car' feature on Google maps would allow you to pre-plan your entire trip and then send that info to your car. But I think that is more a limitation on the iDrive system then Google maps.

The 750i I ordered has the latest version of the iDrive along with a high resolution 10.25" screen. Another nice feature of the new iDrive is that you can now enter a new destination by simply saying the city's name rather than having to spell out each individual letter. Also, the speed of the system is incredible. I entered a new destination, and what took about two minutes on the old iDrive (to figure out the entire route), took all of about 10 sec (if that). It will also tell you in what lane you should be in for the next turn (especially useful on highways that have 6+ lanes and it's rush hour and you've never been this way before!). The map graphics has been reworked as well. While you are entering a destination, the screen is split and on the right hand side it will give you a preview of the destination (again, this pops up almost immediately, no more long searches on the DVD to read in all the data of the destination). Even the address book has this preview feature.
I think the thing that really bugged me the most about the older system is that when you try to enter a new destination in a LARGE city, once you entered the city name, the system had to 'pre-load' (or cache) all the street names, so that it knows what streets are valid ones during the subsequent entries. This usually took a really LOOOOONG time (I'm talking minutes here!). In comparison, I was blown away how fast the new system reacts to entries and how fast it performs the route calculation and look up processes. I just wish they could make this system available as a retrofit system for older cars so that I could replace the current iDrive system in my wife's car.... (I know, wishful thinking)...

Now for your long/lat Google map search that you want to send to your car, I hope you didn't pick a spot you also requested a missile hit...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I wonder if BMW would offer this 'new' technology as a software upgrade for existing systems
Unfortunately not possible.

The new system was developed by a different company, uses a different computer, hard drive, screen, etc.
      02-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The new system was developed by a different company, uses a different computer, hard drive, screen, etc.
I'm fully aware of all of that (see some of my previous post where I talked about those topics). That doesn't mean that it is totally impossible to change though... just more work than usual

If it wasn't for the darn reprogramming of all the other brains in the car ...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Car guys need to get more like computer guys , new computer software doesn't require you to go out an buy a new computer every release.

little off topic...xdrive does your new 750 come with TT8 ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Car guys need to get more like computer guys , new computer software doesn't require you to go out an buy a new computer every release.

Yes, the new 7series has same engine and HP as X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

ILENA- BMW's Homing Device?

Who cares about iDrive ! it'll be It Drives! 'cause it drives itself!
Great idea on the intel. nav system! In conjunction with intel cruise control & auto steering & braking...
That means BMWs are one step closer to digitizing how the owner drives, so it can drive the car on auto pilot, on a programmable route, with the owner in the back seat having a nap after a night of drinking on the town! "
'Yes ocifer, i have been drinking! and if u don't mind , i'm sleeping it off! ILENA, engage transmission, forward!"
U can tell it to stop at your favorite starbucks enroute to the office in the morning!Vunderbar!
Sorry, i digress off topic!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Yes, as shenard already posted, it has the exact same engine and specs as the X6 50i

They are also working on a 760 with a TTV12... man that's going to be a monster
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Who cares about iDrive ! it'll be It Drives! 'cause it drives itself!
Great idea on the intel. nav system! In conjunction with intel cruise control & auto steering & braking...
That means BMWs are one step closer to digitizing how the owner drives, so it can drive the car on auto pilot, on a programmable route, with the owner in the back seat having a nap after a night of drinking on the town! "
'Yes ocifer, i have been drinking! and if u don't mind , i'm sleeping it off! ILENA, engage transmission, forward!"
U can tell it to stop at your favorite starbucks enroute to the office in the morning!Vunderbar!
Sorry, i digress off topic!

Archwerks you're right on with this one..
I'm a second gen computer geek and a car guy so I've always like BMW's because they combined the two. However I buy BMW's to DRIVE them not to be driven in them. There is a limit on how much tech I will accept in a car.
Appreciate 0