XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Wondering about resale

Anyone have experience selling (or buying) a modified car? I'm possibly going to sell my car next year and I'm just curious if having a modification affects the price. I'm guessing I shouldn't hope to recoup the value of the mod, but would it be standard practice to ask for a premium over a similar model for a Dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

all things being equal the Dinan tune will add value to the car... Maybe not dollar for dollar value for tune but a premium.. the question is whether the potenial buyer is a performance oriented buyer.. You will have some buyers who are simply not interested in the benefits of the tune.. others who will assume the car was driven harder than a similar car because of the tune and will devalue the tune... the trick is hopefully the stars will line up for you when you sell and you do find a performance oriented buyer who will see the value of the Dinan tune and pay a premium for it...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX6
all things being equal the Dinan tune will add value to the car... Maybe not dollar for dollar value for tune but a premium.. the question is whether the potenial buyer is a performance oriented buyer.. You will have some buyers who are simply not interested in the benefits of the tune.. others who will assume the car was driven harder than a similar car because of the tune and will devalue the tune... the trick is hopefully the stars will line up for you when you sell and you do find a performance oriented buyer who will see the value of the Dinan tune and pay a premium for it...
Yeah, I hope so too, of course. I wonder if sellers generally find themselves dealing with knowledgable buyers or not. I figure it could be frustrating if say 90% of potential buyers have no idea what the tune is about and just see a higher sales price.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

I have a Dinan tune and expect to get a premium over market, but probably not that much. If a prospective buyer will not recognize the value of the tune, then they are the wrong buyer for the car, especially if they try to low-ball the price. Ultimately, the total look, condition and factory/ dealer options will make the difference. Also, being the original owner is a plus to buyers. The real question will be what price to list that will be attractive to buyers, yet not prematurely devalue the car.
Appreciate 0