XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #1
Bob H
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 diesel

pin out diagram for seats?

I am working on swapping in some F10 M5 front seats - and I have a set of comfort seats already in my E70 X5 (2011). The colors aren't a perfect match - so looking for a pinout diagram for the 2011 Comfort seat, as well as the 2013 F10 M5. This is the main yellow connector under the seat.
Yes, I have ISTA D, P and all the other programs, but can't get the specific connector identified, (it consistently id's the one into the control module under the seat) - any help showing wire colors and function would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
I am working on swapping in some F10 M5 front seats - and I have a set of comfort seats already in my E70 X5 (2011). The colors aren't a perfect match - so looking for a pinout diagram for the 2011 Comfort seat, as well as the 2013 F10 M5. This is the main yellow connector under the seat.
Yes, I have ISTA D, P and all the other programs, but can't get the specific connector identified, (it consistently id's the one into the control module under the seat) - any help showing wire colors and function would be greatly appreciated!
did you check TIS if you have everything?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
Bob H
United_States
Rep

I guess "everything" is very broad and vague! I'm actually not sure if I have TIS, as programing and diagnosing was the primary ones I got. ISTA-plus/D has TIS integrated supposedly and I did search wiring diagrams there, but I may be looking in the wrong areas, (as I mentioned about the wrong connector being referenced and pinout colors distinguised).
I did also download from the internet archive the older seat pages from the FSM - and it has the circuit diagram, but not pinout.
Happy to have someone call me stupid and point me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:13 PM   #4
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep

Quote:
I guess "everything" is very broad and vague! I'm actually not sure if I have TIS, as programing and diagnosing was the primary ones I got. ISTA-plus/D has TIS integrated supposedly and I did search wiring diagrams there, but I may be looking in the wrong areas, (as I mentioned about the wrong connector being referenced and pinout colors distinguised).
I did also download from the internet archive the older seat pages from the FSM - and it has the circuit diagram, but not pinout.
Happy to have someone call me stupid and point me in the right direction!
you might have to look at wire color to pin location manually.
i don't see it in TIS, as there wouldn't be a repair needed to show a pin out, it could be in there, just don't see it labeled with obvious naming. THis is all that is in TIS, its broken up by function, so you have to piece it together.
Attached Images

Last edited by JellyStyle; 02-09-2023 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Ok - that had some resolution that was better than my laptop that has ISTA-D. I see from another thread and the pics above, that it looks like the yellow connector contains X275, and maybe X276 and X279? Many of those modules use the Green, Green/Orange K1 feed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Ugh, now I get to dive into the F10 M5 (2013), diagrams. This is not fun....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #7
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, now I get to dive into the F10 M5 (2013), diagrams. This is not fun....
is that a hint? ha, you can just ask..
Attached Images

Last edited by JellyStyle; 02-10-2023 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:50 AM   #8
Bob H
United_States
Rep

JellyStyle - no, it wasn't meant to be a hint, but thank you anyways! I was more lamenting that I needed to learn how to get into these same screens myself via ISTA and the manuals as these particular ones are there, just not as easy to get in one shot.
Lots of info translated via the K1 feed, so really just figuring out the others that are not the big two power ones. So that leaves about 6-7 wires...
I will post here when I do figure it all out so others can at least know what goes where for the E70 seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep

New members can’t get access to the resources. BMW tries tricky things to stop our access to systems with new member posts asking for help. Hence build some long time activities and more resources will open up for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 10:34 PM   #10
Bob H
United_States
Rep

I think I realized why I can only find about 6 of the wires in all the diagrams above and guesses on 2 more (big power wires).
I need to look into the SRS and Seat Occupancy diagrams as well. Heating/vent fans, movement, lumbar and active seating appear to be covered in the screenshots in this thread.
I believe the other functions are different systems beyond "seats". So back to the diagrams I go!

Update on what I found:

For E70, 14 wires total between two connectors. "Main connector" is comprised of three sub connectors, (black and two grey), encased in a Yellow connector. The second connector is yellow with just two wires.

MAIN CONNECTOR:

Black plug:
Orange/Green - I believe KCAN feed
Green - I believe KCAN feed
Red/white - 7.5a 12v feed for seat adjustment switch
Brown/Black - I think this is the wire to connect to the seat adjustment switch on side of seats?
Thick Brown - 12 power?
Thick Red/Brown -12v power?

Grey plug #1:
Blue/white
Brown/black
Blue/Black
Blue/red(or brown?)

Grey plug #2:
Yellow - appears to be seat heating
Brown - appears to be seat heating

SECONDARY CONNECTOR:
Just two wires, yellow connector, likely SRS?
Blue/Black
Blue/Brown

Sucks that there are two wires that are brown/black and two that are Blue/black!

I will keep updating. It appears the F10 M5 connector shares the colors above on the ones I have identified so far. It does have one less wire overall, despite having more "functions" it can do.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Progress! Attached is a pin-out diagram I found in this thread:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542284

The question I have - how do I get to this in ISTA +? I can get to the diagrams above, but it would be really helpful to get the breakdown like the attached .pdf which was a screenshot from ISTA +
I'm still learning how to navigate through ISTA, so the help is much appreciated!

I will update this thread when done, but for now, here are those attachments showing the connector breakdown:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf x279 connector.pdf (102.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf x279 Wiring.pdf (557.8 KB, 177 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 12:28 PM   #12
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Of note, I also found that the M5 seats take a signal for memory and massage from the door, along with a few other commands. So I swapped out the side controlers for the seat, but that had the memory buttons on the back side, and that means I'd have to cut the plastic on the side (the cover). So I'm looking to see if the F15 comfort seat controllers will work, (which I believe they should). No pics at this time, but will post later. Bottom line, I think the F15 comfort seat controllers are best if you want to use the F10 seats and don't want to modify the plastic side cover. I also swapped the nice "chrome" accented buttons over to the X5 controller, (looks nicer!).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #13
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Well, I have all the pins/colors identified, but can't find anything on E70 connector X1565 and x1567. One is for drivers, one is for pass, and it is a smaller secondary connector along with the x275 and x279 main connectors. I have everything else, but am striking out on this connector. I can find out that it is located next to the main seat connectors, but that is it. It doesn't show up in ISTA search, where I can get all the other connectors, (and I got all the ones for the F10).
I'll post what I have, but wanted some help before if someone knows how to find those two!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
Bob H
United_States
Rep

Well - I found out by tracing it out on my own seat - they go to the gas generator for the headrest, it is pos and neg signals. But still can't find it in ISTA, but no worries as I have all the wires sorted. Will post the final evolution tomorrow and report if it worked.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 11:16 PM   #15
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M, M6, X5 5.0, 335i

Hi. Would you mind sharing some pictures? Fitment in the car wasn't issue. I was planing to change my sports seats with comfort in my X5 but honestly I like F10 comfort seats more. I was thinking about this option but I was not sure if it fits.
Aren't X5 seat little taller or is it just feeling?
Appreciate 0