XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Entr0py
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8i

X5 N63 Coolant Leak

My coolant light went on a couple days ago.
I added about 3/4 gallon of OEM coolant, right up to the top of the float in the reservoir.

Just got back from a 5 mile trip to and from Walmart, and now there is a coolant leak from under the reservoir by the left tire.

What the heck could be the problem, there wasn't a leak beforehand, and I didn't spill any ??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entr0py View Post
I added about 3/4 gallon of OEM coolant, right up to the top of the float in the reservoir.

Just got back from a 5 mile trip to and from Walmart, and now there is a coolant leak from under the reservoir by the left tire.

What the heck could be the problem, there wasn't a leak beforehand, and I didn't spill any ??
Coulda just been a slow leak that you didn't notice before Perhaps it was not hitting the ground & was caught up in all the panels on the underside of the motor... until you poured 3/4 of a gallon in all at once.

My coolant expansion tank failed right at 70K miles - had the same issue as you, coolant leaking right behind the driver's side front wheel/tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:

Common problem, the reservoir tank cracks and will start leaking. Could also be hoses but usually it's the tank. It's fairly easy to replace, if you decide to do it yourself, get a mini automotive pick set and a mechanics mirror, the bottom connection release is hard to see
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
slovakE70
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 xDrive 50i

Quote:

I had the same problem and it was cracked expansion tank.

After coolant level warning i filled the tank and i looked for leaks and saw the bottom coolant hose wet so i thought that the hose is leaking. When i was replacing the hoses, i found that the expansion tank is cracked rigth above the hose.
And i also had puddle behind driver's side front wheel, everytime i parked the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Entr0py
Enlisted Member
Rep

You guys are great, thanks for the replies,
So how does one fix this problem ??
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
slovakE70
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 xDrive 50i

Quote:
You guys are great, thanks for the replies,
So how does one fix this problem ??
By replacing the failed part, i guess.

As others mention before, it looks like the expansion tank is cracked/broked. I would make sure that is really the case, then i would buy a new one and replace.

You can inspect expansion tank by lift it up a little bit. Just detach upper tank hose (vent pipe) and remove 2 bolts that holds the tank to the body.
No need to detach lower hose or sensor and those are tricky to do. You get more room if you remove air intake duct, that runs into the air filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
Entr0py
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakE70 View Post
By replacing the failed part, i guess.

As others mention before, it looks like the expansion tank is cracked/broked. I would make sure that is really the case, then i would buy a new one and replace.

You can inspect expansion tank by lift it up a little bit. Just detach upper tank hose (vent pipe) and remove 2 bolts that holds the tank to the body.
No need to detach lower hose or sensor and those are tricky to do. You get more room if you remove air intake duct, that runs into the air filter.
Thanks, i'm gonna check it out when I change the plugs and coils this weekend.
Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Steepcreeker
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive 50i

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...t=steepcreeker

This same thing happened to me with my ride.
Above is the tread from that. I easily did the tank replacement.
No problems. The bottom clip is a PITA. Like others have mentioned, a mirror and picks are helpful.
Appreciate 0